Author Topic: Anyone playing with or using the new Pond High Riser head yet ?  (Read 4564 times)

e philpott

• View Profile
    Would like to hear thoughts , expected HP numbers and flow numbers about the new High Rise head from Pond . I have seen pictures on FB and know someone that purchased a set but haven't heard any flow bench numbers or heard of any options on them . I do like the looks of the twisted chamber design ( in the pictures I've seen ) for being severely limited in creativity with a NHRA legal head it's clever and do know it requires the matching intake manifold for the raised floor ( raised a 1/2 inch maybe not sure ?)

Thanks , Eric

TomP

• View Profile
Re: Anyone playing with or using the new Pond High Riser head yet ?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 09:40:38 PM »
Anyone have pictures of these to post?

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 10:30:13 AM »
I think I have some,

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 11:37:52 AM »
Well I can’t post them, they are the wrong format I guess.

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 11:43:50 AM »
Have you tried to convert the picture to another format.:

https://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-jpg
Mike

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 12:53:57 PM »
Email 'em to me, I'll post em up.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 12:54:04 PM »
I can't post pictures either but some floating around on facebook , I have talked to Blair since and he said they are designed for Stock eleminator and it's easy to get 350 cfm at 600 ish lift

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 01:42:24 PM »
Email sent, hopefully it goes through

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 01:51:57 PM »

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 02:32:08 PM »
Sure wish they would have incorporated a modern combustion chamber instead of the 427, but that would probably not allowed them to be used in Stock Class racing as a replacement head.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 03:14:19 PM »
They NEED a modern chamber, I am hoping they start putting a modern chamber in them, if they would do that I would find a way to get a set, even though I don’t have an engine for them. A HR FE is one of my bucket list things.

ntheogen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 06:11:22 PM »
They NEED a modern chamber, I am hoping they start putting a modern chamber in them, if they would do that I would find a way to get a set, even though I don’t have an engine for them. A HR FE is one of my bucket list things.

If you want to get a group buyin and prepay for the heads with a modern combustion chamber, that's probably the only way it's going to happen. These heads cost a pile of pennies to make already.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 07:23:14 AM »
I doubt Pond would be interested. He's a racer, and his stuff is aimed at the NHRA Stock racing crowd. There's no money to be made in producing such a low demand part, but it serves his purpose well, and will help keep the FE in the winners circle.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 07:29:48 AM »

If you want to get a group buyin and prepay for the heads with a modern combustion chamber, that's probably the only way it's going to happen. These heads cost a pile of pennies to make already

That’s not a bad idea. Might have to try to put something together. At the moment though, my fun money is earmarked for jays top end kit, and I just spent some of that on a crank. If the economy picks back up and my job is still around after all this I might be in a position to get a set next year.

ntheogen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2020, 01:29:04 PM »
I doubt Pond would be interested. He's a racer, and his stuff is aimed at the NHRA Stock racing crowd. There's no money to be made in producing such a low demand part, but it serves his purpose well, and will help keep the FE in the winners circle.

^^^^ Someone who sees the bigger picture and understands it. He makes the parts he wants to use and racing is what he's is into. To spend the money on altering the head and do a run in the hopes that people will actually follow through with buying them isn't a wise risk.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2020, 02:20:21 PM »
The modern chamber I'm pretty sure could be already " IN " there like Dove heads were , it would be a matter of not having it machined out to factory spec's or it least it looks like a machined chamber instead of cast to me anyways without knowing more about

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2020, 09:57:47 AM »
Good point, it does look like a machined chamber, just like the originals. I suppose it’s entirely possible that there is enough meat in the casting prior to final machining that just about any sham we could be cut in there.

Like you said, need more info really.

I also understand why he is sticking to that design, and though it seems silly to me to make any head without a modern chamber, I’m not the one investing untold thousands of dollars.

The more I think about it, the less the chamber design bothers me. would I prefer a modern chamber, yes, should the lack of one keep me from building a HR motor..... he’ll no.

Would love to hear more info on these heads, flow rates, port volumes, engine dyno data.
I am sure most of it would not be relatable to anything I would ever build, as has been said, I’m guessing most of these heads are going on dedicated race engines. But if they are ~ 350 CFM OOTB, should be some really cool 750-800 hp engines out there . 

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2020, 11:36:53 AM »
If you look closely, you can tell the chamber is more of a "D" shape with more quench than a normal hi riser. I was told the spark plug position was moved slightly, to allow a better exhaust port for one, but also "stands" the spark plug up straighter. These heads were designed for the T-bolt, guys mainly, as something that the NHRA rules would accept as a replacement head. The person who relayed this information to me also said for a " no rules restriction " build that "he" would be seriously looking at Jay Brown's heads, ( which he saw at PRI ). He obviously liked what he saw.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2020, 01:11:25 PM »
If you look closely, you can tell the chamber is more of a "D" shape with more quench than a normal hi riser. I was told the spark plug position was moved slightly, to allow a better exhaust port for one, but also "stands" the spark plug up straighter. These heads were designed for the T-bolt, guys mainly, as something that the NHRA rules would accept as a replacement head.

If you look close, there are lots of refinements to the HR head design, and yes, that chamber is canted and not exactly "stock". I would guess that the chamber is rough cast like that, before final machining, to save on aluminum. And I can guarantee that Pond doesn't care if anyone else likes it; that was not his intention when designing it. It is purely for NHRA purposes. It will be interesting to see what Mr. Pond and Mr. Paquet can do with them. I'm curious if there's a weight penalty to go along with them.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2020, 01:13:55 PM »
NHRA legal is why the chamber is not modern .. but .. it's quite a twisted D chamber compared to a original head that favors less valve shrouding by the looks of it

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2020, 01:17:28 PM »
If you look closely, you can tell the chamber is more of a "D" shape with more quench than a normal hi riser. I was told the spark plug position was moved slightly, to allow a better exhaust port for one, but also "stands" the spark plug up straighter. These heads were designed for the T-bolt, guys mainly, as something that the NHRA rules would accept as a replacement head.

If you look close, there are lots of refinements to the HR head design, and yes, that chamber is canted and not exactly "stock". I would guess that the chamber is rough cast like that, before final machining, to save on aluminum. And I can guarantee that Pond doesn't care if anyone else likes it; that was not his intention when designing it. It is purely for NHRA purposes. It will be interesting to see what Mr. Pond and Mr. Paquet can do with them. I'm curious if there's a weight penalty to go along with them.

I don't think Ray will use them in Super Stock , this head is more for Stock class with no modification to ports or chamber or for people that want a somewhat period correct High Riser without using old wore out parts

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2020, 01:46:37 PM »
It's nice to see a new High Riser head meant for Stock Eliminator. I  guess the precident for the changed chambers and ports was set by the allowable replacement heads for other engines. Crappy orange engines can use a much improved aftermarket head.

HR427

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2020, 07:08:33 AM »
I'm curious if there's a weight penalty to go along with them.

5hp.... so if your running AA/SA as Pond does... that's 5x7.50 … extra 37.5 lbs

A/S 40 lbs
B/S 42.5

C/S 45
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 07:17:14 AM by HR427 »

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2020, 12:17:21 PM »
C/S with a high riser,  64 Galaxie. Someone needs to build that!

HR427

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2020, 01:43:31 PM »
C/S with a high riser,  64 Galaxie. Someone needs to build that!

Thats what I'm doing...will run b or c....and a 4 speed.