Author Topic: FE Exhaust Manifolds For The F Series  (Read 6738 times)

440sixpack

• View Profile
FE Exhaust Manifolds For The F Series
« on: July 28, 2020, 11:29:01 PM »
 I have headers on my '76 high boy with a 428 in it.  I'd really like to put manifolds on it but I'm not sure if I have any options beyond the stock log style.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if the CJ manifolds will  work ?  that would be my preference but from what I see I doubt they'd fit.    then there is the style with the fins , or ribs that supposedly fit pickups but I can't verify. 

I don't think there are any other options but I'd like to know if there are.

Rory428

• View Profile
Re: FE Exhaust Manifolds For The F Series
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 01:37:18 AM »
What heads do you have? If you have typical 2 bolt exh. pattern heads, like the truck would have left the factory with, no go, as 7 of the 8 exhaust ports on the CJ exhaust manifolds used the "side by side" exhaust bolt pattern, so only 2 bolts will work on the drivers side, and none on the passenger side. Plus, unless you already have the CJ exh. manifolds, you will likely pay more for the CJ manifolds than a set of good, ceramic coated long tube headers. Why do you want to put exhaust manifolds back on anyway? My 74 F350 cracked 3 exhaust manifolds before I installed a new pair of Hedman headers, the gas mileage and power increase was very much improved with headers, and no more cracks and leaks. I did replace the headers with new ones, after 14 years, only because they look so crusty, but reality, they were still pretty solid.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 06:59:36 AM »
+1 on everything Rory said. Even if you have the right heads, every stock cast exhaust manifold is pretty much crap and will kill power in a big way. I realize not everyone is after big power, but they will not only hinder performance, but mileage as well, in a big way. The shorty cast headers would be a decent compromise, or a set of shorty tube headers, but no way would I go back to stock corks. They are all pretty horrible.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 08:01:01 AM »
I have kind of wondered the same myself on my truck. But hedders work, make power, and they all get hot. Unless someone had some to test fit it would be no option, very cost heavy. The only benefit may be longer term performance with no leaks but a good set of hedders and proper torque process normally stops that.  If you have certain aftermarket heads then bolting up would not be your issue but fit would. On my BBM's I had to do a little hammer and socket work to make my Heddmans clear. Not bad, and about the same as I had to running D2 heads but had to give them just a little more room for the spring retainer on the passenger side and the RobMC starter, which is actually just a tiny smidge longer. When I get around to relieving the block I can clock it more and it will be a non-issue.  Hopefully they don't leak. They are not an exact fit, but are very close.  Amazes me how the engine bays are so huge but stuff gets tight very fast!

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 08:13:29 AM »
Using contemporary header coatings will keep steel tube headers nice and clean, prevent rust and really cut down on underhood heat.

Just wish these wonderful if not cheap coatings were available many years ago as I struggled with rust and high underhood heat.
Bob Maag

440sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 08:57:23 AM »
Sounds like maybe I better leave well enough alone.  I have the crossover headers you need for a high boy and they actually aren't that bad I just don't care for headers.

I left the rubber splash shields off and that helps a lot Maybe I'll wrap my starter and call it good.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 10:28:21 AM »
Sounds like maybe I better leave well enough alone.  I have the crossover headers you need for a high boy and they actually aren't that bad I just don't care for headers.

I left the rubber splash shields off and that helps a lot Maybe I'll wrap my starter and call it good.

I don't know about the '73-'78 dentside Highboys, but my '68 Highboy used Hedman headers and required no crossover pipe, although it did use a 2 piece design on one side (can't remember which side). Also, they were not at all close to the starter. Since it had a 4" body lift, I could literally reach through between the frame and fenderwell and pull out the starter.

A good set of mufflers would quiet it down quite a bit, if sound is your major complaint about headers.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

WerbyFord

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 11:43:55 AM »
I have headers on my '76 high boy with a 428 in it.  I'd really like to put manifolds on it but I'm not sure if I have any options beyond the stock log style.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if the CJ manifolds will  work ?  that would be my preference but from what I see I doubt they'd fit.    then there is the style with the fins , or ribs that supposedly fit pickups but I can't verify. 

How much power is your 428 making?
A stock 7-Liter is 300-315hp, and the 2-1/4 outlet truck or 68-up car logs are pretty good up to that level.

I've seen the old 406 shorty iron on trucks, forgot what years but those might fit and are ok to 400-450hp.
Beyond that you need headers.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 01:52:59 PM »
...I've seen the old 406 shorty iron on trucks, forgot what years but those might fit and are ok to 400-450hp.

I don’t have any personal experience, but I have seen quite a few people post over the years that they have used the Shorty cast headers on pickup trucks. I think you have to make a small frame notch. I haven’t paid attention if it matters which model years of pickup truck though, and it may matter that it’s 4x4.

Kugal Komponents just started making reproductions of the Shorty cast headers, it may be a bit before they can catch up on pre-orders, but you can check them out if you go that way. Unfortunately the price for new reproductions came in about the same as used originals, so no price savings. Jay’s testing for the book showed the Shorty’s worked fairly well. I know Kugal has posted on Facebook, someone may have mentioned them on the forum here too. Here’s a link:

https://kugelkomponents.com/8307-2/
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 02:29:56 PM »
I wouldn't dream of going back to manifolds. I still remember installing headers on a lowly 360, didn't expect much but it was a drastic improvement with no other work.

I haven't seen 4x4 headers with a crossover tube, those don't sound very fun.

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 04:52:54 PM »
I asked about those cast manifolds for use in a truck, and I believe the reply was that they would fit but did ( might ?) require some clearancing on the passenger side frame rail.

chris401

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 07:38:35 PM »
My 65 F-100 used to have the original Ford cast iron shortys. The notch was on the passenger side. The choke boss cleared the non power steering box. Latter on I bought a pair that had been pulled off a wrecked 74' F Series. He had shaved the choke boss off the driver side. I do not know if the truck had powers steering or was a 4X4. The recast manifolds do not have the choke bosses.

If I put shorys on the 65 F-250 the frame is getting curled. I have seen both installs and the curl looks better.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 07:40:24 PM by chris401 »

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 07:09:23 PM »
Headers for the 4x4 are different than 2 wheel drive. The Hooker have two tubes that go under the motor mount on the right side and slip into the the other tubes before the collector. That can be hassle is they rust together but worth it for the extra power. Most other companies only have two wheel drive headers. I think because the steering box isn't in the way you can pretty much fit any manifolds on the left side but the frame is narrow and the engine is offset to the right so the passenger side may need to be notched.

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2020, 10:31:24 AM »

[/quote

How much power is your 428 making?
A stock 7-Liter is 300-315hp, and the 2-1/4 outlet truck or 68-up car logs are pretty good up to that level.

I've seen the old 406 shorty iron on trucks, forgot what years but those might fit and are ok to 400-450hp.

My low compression 390 in my 74 F350 was basically stock, and even though I rarely revved it over 3500 RPM, the headers still made a significant improvement in power and gas mileage. I can`t imagine any situation where I would ever want the "log" exhaust manifolds on any FE that I would own.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

440sixpack

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2020, 11:15:20 PM »
My headers are fine I'm just not a header fan, mostly because of leaks and the heat.  I pretty much fixed the leaks with Remflex gaskets abd while I haven't toasted a starter yet  I suppose I will. 

Will a mini starter help any ?  I was looking at the RobbMC  starters.  maybe I should just put one on and call it good.