Author Topic: Fresh Engine and C-6  (Read 2605 times)

mammyjammer

• View Profile
Fresh Engine and C-6
« on: January 30, 2013, 11:59:11 PM »
After doubling my initial budget and taking  twice as long as planned ,I'm  sneaking up on actually firing the fresh 428 and C-6  in my 58 Fairlane!!

I  have a question regarding preparations for start up.

These are the directions I have to fill the C-6:

Put 4 quarts of fluid in it. Then start engine and put another 4 or 5 quarts in then check until you see fluid on the stick.
Try putting trans in reverse and forward gears (may have to add more fluid if there’s no engagement). Check fluid level again and add until it shows at the bottom of the cross hatch mark.

My question is" How do I do this while running the engine at 2000 RPM for 20 minutes to break in the cam?"
This is my first attempt at rebuilding an auto transmission, so my stress level is elevated to 2X my usual fresh engine start!

GJCAT427

• View Profile
Re: Fresh Engine and C-6
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 06:19:13 AM »
Did you put 4qts in the converter before putting it on the tranny? If so I would just add 6 qts to the pan and fire it. If not when you fire it ,it will suck whats in the pan dry and you run the risk of burning the internals from lack of lube. As I remember they take a total of 13 qts when you rebuild them.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 09:06:25 AM »
Firing up a new engine combination is always nerve wracking, and trying to watch the trans fluid level while you are doing it makes things worse.  I would suggest getting the trans filled properly before you actually fire the engine.  The way to do that is to pull the plugs, put your 4-5 quarts of fluid in the trans and make sure there is oil in the engine, hook a battery charger up to the battery and spin the engine over for 20-30 seconds at a time.  Make sure you can see the trans fluid level on the dipstick before you start.  Once you start spinning the engine you should see engine oil pressure pretty quickly, especially if you have pre-oiled.  Make sure you see it; you don't want to be spinning the engine over for an extended time without oil pressure.  Crank for 20-30 seconds then stop for a minute, and repeat; this approach will keep you from overheating the starter.  While you are doing this the front pump in the transmission will be filling the torque converter, valve body, and cooler lines so after you have done this 3-4 times check the transmission fluid level.  It will have gone down, so refill and repeat.  A C6 will take a lot of fluid, especially with a stock converter, so keep doing this until you've got around 8-9 quarts in the transmission.  This is enough to prevent damage when you fire the engine for the first time.  Then install your plugs and you are ready to fire.  Once you are up and running for a couple minutes, start checking the trans fluid level and add more fluid as required.

Good luck on the startup - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

mammyjammer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 02:52:03 PM »
Thanks, Jay!
I can  fill the trans. and pre lube the motor at the same time.