Author Topic: return line  (Read 1562 times)

fryedaddy

• View Profile
return line
« on: June 27, 2020, 02:56:05 PM »
i just ran a 3/8 fuel line on my comet.i ran it along beside the stock line.i have a fuel cell in the trunk with the 3/8 line ran to it.my old line is still hooked up to the stock,medal tank.the question is can i make a return line out of the old medal line and tank.the return would be going to a different tank than the fuel is in.would this cause a problem .should i run the return line to the fuel cell instead.would it fill the stock tank while the electric pump is running or would it just take the vapor lock overflow.could i use a filter with a return line on it or would i need a regulator. thanks
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
Re: return line
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 03:56:03 PM »
If I understand correctly what you're suggesting, I don't think it will work.  The "return" tank would fill up and overflow, and the "supply" tank would be quickly drained.  A return system should cycle back into the reservoir that it is drawing from to maintain the fuel volume in the tank.
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 04:29:31 PM »
ok,could i just use a duel outlet filter and run the extra port to my fuel cell in the trunk that i will be using.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 09:08:15 AM »
You need to run that return line back to the cell.  Most cells have two ports on top, use one for return and the other as a vent with a tip over valve installed.  And run a proper return regulator.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 02:52:44 PM »
i just ran a 3/8 fuel line on my comet.i ran it along beside the stock line.i have a fuel cell in the trunk with the 3/8 line ran to it.my old line is still hooked up to the stock,medal tank.the question is can i make a return line out of the old medal line and tank.the return would be going to a different tank than the fuel is in.would this cause a problem .should i run the return line to the fuel cell instead.would it fill the stock tank while the electric pump is running or would it just take the vapor lock overflow.could i use a filter with a return line on it or would i need a regulator. thanks

You would eventually fill one tank and empty the other.  Why do you want to do this? 
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 04:40:42 PM »
I've seen the two tank things work. It was a British sports car that has a small tank in each quarter panel with  hose running between them under the car. Just one filler neck and one fuel level sender but level is equalized by the connecting hose.
He had the return going to the right side tank and the pickup came from the left. That was so it wasn't aerating the fuel at the pickup. It had EFI on a 302 Ford.

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 09:03:32 AM »

You would eventually fill one tank and empty the other.  Why do you want to do this?
[/quote]i have 2 lines under my car 1 goes to the fuel cell the other goes to the tank.im just trying to use one as a fuel return.i dont want to do that,i just asked if it would work.i know he proper way is to use a regulator and run both to the fuel cell.i just asked because the lines are already run to the tanks and all i would have to do is hook it up under the hood

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 11:24:45 AM »

i have 2 lines under my car 1 goes to the fuel cell the other goes to the tank.im just trying to use one as a fuel return.i dont want to do that,i just asked if it would work.i know he proper way is to use a regulator and run both to the fuel cell.i just asked because the lines are already run to the tanks and all i would have to do is hook it up under the hood
[/quote]

Well, yes, it would work, and honestly, in theory the fuel would be cooler too.  After the cell ran out, you could swap the lines and run the other way to refill the cell :)
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch