Author Topic: Wanted: 352/390/410 short block or just block & pistons fitted  (Read 2630 times)

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Since a local machine shop ruined my last 3 FE blocks and have a bunch of other FE part left over I am in need of a machined-ready 352 or 390 block with align hone done and pistons fitted.

I have a bunch of std std ready to go 352 or 390 cranks but will consider a done block with just a very basic rotating assy, cast pistons are fine.
For a daily driver very low rpm engine that will prob rarely if ever see 4000 rpm.  I just want a good ring seal & good machine work that here takes many many months.

352, 390 or 410. Good ring seal and align hone highest on list. Gotta last a while.

Balancing I can get done quickly if needed. 
So  a machined ready to go block and pistons or a balanced assy with block is fine.

Or maybe a already done short block.  428 style stock cam is all that is needed/wanted   9-9.5 compression with C6AE-R heads.

This is for a clone of my Dad's '66 F100 he bought new.  I already have a factory 3 spd overdrive or a fresh c6 with a GV OD that will go in it. ALso have a fresh 1966 Fairlane GT carb from Drew. I am first on the list for the new 406 manifolds from kugelkomponents. Have a set of the Mercury Script covers from Jay etc
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 03:32:18 PM by TimeWarpF100 »

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: Wanted: 352/390/410 short block or just block & pistons fitted
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 04:07:13 PM »
Almost sorry to ask but, how in the world did they eff-up 3 in a row? Hope they paid for it...............
Bob Maag

dozz302

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 04:24:05 PM »
Yes what happened? What shop??

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 05:24:02 PM »
Five Star Engine Exchange in Glendale, AZ
I brought them 3 different 1966 352 blocks. All 3 i heard run and used 2 as daily's but they had never been apart. Still '66 date codes on bearings etc. Bearings still looked fantastic. I just wanted to freshen them up for the trucks they came out of. One of them a 428 crank was going to go 4.050 for a 410. Another was going to be 390 and another just stock 352.

Align hones were all very good as cranks spun nice and bearings looked unreal.

I wanted them bored and honed with deck plates, balanced etc, rods redone with new ARP bolts etc

They lost all the main caps as this shop uses any main cap any engine . . . Yes, for real
I got the call they all needed align hone. What they did was grab caps from random blocks and absolutely hacked them and block trying to make it work.

They also angle cut the rod caps so if it was flat on one side there was a .080 gap on other. SOme were worse. They cut the 1U crank and it was tapered and looked like a egg.

The mains on blocks were .009 with bearing in but so bad the bearing would spin in bore just by hand. I was quoted 850.00 each to have blocks repaired.

I just learned late last week that they actually bolted engines together and sold them like they were! SOme FE person who got them will be screwed and it will be 100% their fault as perfect when they left shop type of thing...

I got pretty much screwed on the deal. I had bought a new c6 and a new GV overdrive for one, bought a rebuilt factory 3 spd overdrive for another along with custom driveshafts, 3rd one I had bought the rings and bearings, timing set, gaskets, oil pump etc along with the carb from drew, custom headers and so on.

I lost my shorts and they sold and made big bucks using my blocks. That were now junk.  Never seen such crude engine work in mylife and owner Chris could care less. To top it off have known family and extended family on both sides for 40 yrs. cannot imagine how he would treat another customer.

If anyone here bought those FE's from Five Star we need to talk as I can verify the casting date along with engine assy dates.

He never did the ARP rods, did not hone with deck plates as a matter of fact the bores were .005 to big and tapered already for his fresh bore/hone
Cost me big bucks reason I want just a single less cost but nice shortblock so I can get truck on road. Put me in the poor house as have been unable to sell the not needed parts. Transmission was 1700.00 plus converter and the GV OD was 2800.00, add on the drive shaft, custom big $ radiator.

If you know anyone who bought a FE from Five Star ENgine exchange from September 2019 to now beware!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 05:43:15 PM by TimeWarpF100 »

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 05:34:51 PM »
Finger tight one side of cap .080 plus gap on other side
Mains done same way.

Having issues trying to post pics. Trying photobucket link

« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 05:39:05 PM by TimeWarpF100 »

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 07:59:08 PM »
Probably not what you're looking for, but I have the original untouched 352 short block from my 66 F250 that my Father bought new.  Needs to be freshened, but its a real pickup truck 352.
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 08:59:47 AM »
I've had this  rebuilt  +030 EDC 352 short block for well over 20 years. Never run and still on an engine stand. True flat tops no valve reliefs.  No cam just a block, crank and pistons. I've also got most of the rest of the parts from other engines.
Problem is I'm in Brookings Oregon and not sure how you could get it. If you could figure out shipping I can strap it to a pallet and get it to where it could be picked up.
$400 for the engine But not available until August 1. Heading to Colorado Saturday.

Richard >>> FERoadster
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 09:01:28 AM by FERoadster »

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 12:49:05 PM »

Not making excuses for what would appear to be disastrous execution, and not for the purpose of jumping on to ridicule, but rather to take the opportunity to provide observation so as to aid others in what they may expect, and also the sometimes bad practices that are adopted to appease the customer.             ???

Although even though this example would be extreme (to the point of being shyt), it is not an uncommon practice to "angle-grind" the the parting surfaces of the cap and rod beam. This is generally practiced with the placement of a say a one or one and a half thousandth feeler gauge under the opposed side as referenced on the set-up locator for grinding and doing so individually for each of the four contact surfaces present, this resulting in a mirrored angle separation of the parting lines upon meeting.  The intention here is to cause a reduction of the inside diameter of the rod big end at this parting line of three and nine o-clock position causing this to be "pinched" inward with the torquing of the fasteners.  In some instances this dimension will be found in excess of the true round dimension desired, the vertical (twelve to six o-clock) is recovered as the parting line material is removed in parallel, but unfortunately this three to nine does not respond effectively and often can not be brought to specification readily.  So in order to provide the customer with what might appear visually acceptable, many shops have learned to adopt less than ideal executions. 

And B.T.W., in the photo, whether the bolts had been removed for this resizing effort, it perhaps seems not, although generally a requirement in the process, as they appear to have been media blasted (or is this paint?) as installed, not to mention a new set of bolts and or just at minimum nuts would have been wise also.           ;)

And to be clear: the above stated practices are not proper for a number of reasons, even if at times only slightly improperly, but successfully executed.        ???          And the catch is, at times even when this resizing process is executed properly, and a fine acceptable, serviceable product results, but it may not appear as the customer is of the impression of what the end product should be, then nothing but grief is then reaped by the machine shop!            ::)

Scott.   
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 04:18:53 PM by pbf777 »

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 02:31:18 PM »
Probably not what you're looking for, but I have the original untouched 352 short block from my 66 F250 that my Father bought new.  Needs to be freshened, but its a real pickup truck 352.

How many miles on it? ENgines I had were all around 80-90k.  One ran so good I pulled it apart just to look. I would have been better off hitting it with a ball hone and putting it back together!  Replaced gaskets, seals and timing chain . .

Forget where you are located? Send me PM on what you want for it.  I had someone donate a complete 460 engine trans etc with wiring and pcm but really want to stick with a FE on this one.

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 02:35:07 PM »
I've had this  rebuilt  +030 EDC 352 short block for well over 20 years. Never run and still on an engine stand. True flat tops no valve reliefs.  No cam just a block, crank and pistons. I've also got most of the rest of the parts from other engines.
Problem is I'm in Brookings Oregon and not sure how you could get it. If you could figure out shipping I can strap it to a pallet and get it to where it could be picked up.
$400 for the engine But not available until August 1. Heading to Colorado Saturday.

Richard >>> FERoadster

Is the 352 Pre 1965? Assumed by the EDC it may be. Where are you headed too in Colorado?

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 07:29:42 PM »
Yes EDC's are all pre-1960 from my understanding so it is a 2 bolt motor mount pattern. Leaving early tomorrow AM so too late to get it loaded.
I'll be going back to Colorado in most likely October to Castle Rock about 30 miles south of Denver, lots of my wife's family and "outlaws" aka in-laws are there.

I've had this long enough it's like an adopted child.
Richard >>> FERoadster

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 07:39:03 PM »
Yes EDC's are all pre-1960 from my understanding so it is a 2 bolt motor mount pattern. Leaving early tomorrow AM so too late to get it loaded.
I'll be going back to Colorado in most likely October to Castle Rock about 30 miles south of Denver, lots of my wife's family and "outlaws" aka in-laws are there.

I've had this long enough it's like an adopted child.
Richard >>> FERoadster

Decided to just sell the truck it was for. Too many projects

If anyone looking I have a 1965 Long bed chassis and sheet metal for sale, the rolling chassis is done Also have another rolling chassis not done but a short bed along with cab and other metal. This is ZERO rust AZ stuff

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 07:36:58 PM »
where are you at , how much ? thanks

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 04:32:25 PM »
where are you at , how much ? thanks

I am in phoenix.

So many parts n trucks

Right now the '66 short bed is just a roller no box. Started to part it out yesterday.  Rust free cab and roller chassis and clear az title will let go for 1800 then add for other parts wanted needed.

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2020, 03:16:17 PM »
thanks