Author Topic: Similar builds  (Read 11271 times)

Hipopinto

• View Profile
Similar builds
« on: June 15, 2020, 12:49:20 PM »
Hello all

I have been reading on this page for several years but finally decided to join!

I have a 1966 galaxie Convertible 428 with a wide ratio Toploader gear vendors overdrive, 3.89 rear with a 31 spline locker this car is really fun to drive

My question is as follows if a pair of engines were comparably built meaning same heads, cam, compression ratio and bolt on components would a 427 be much more powerful than a 428?

I realize one is a short stroke screamer and one is a long stroke torque monster

I’m just looking to gather info as I have a few locals that ask “why didn’t you build this”

More nonsense than anything but I want to sound intelligent when asked

Thanks for listening

Dave

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
Re: Similar builds
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 01:04:22 PM »
All other things being equal (and they never are), a 428 and a 427 will make the same power, just at different RPM's.  The 428 will make the power at a lower RPM then the 427.  The torque will be very similar, but again, the 428 will make torque sooner in the RPM range, giving the perception of being a torque monster.

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 01:23:04 PM »
Implicit in your question is the fact that these two engines will be built. Built using what block? Did you have a 428 block you think you could have blithely bored out to a 427 bore? 

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 01:35:20 PM »
Funny, your equipment is the same exact as what I'm building now. Same gear ratio, same trans, gear vendor OD. Only difference is mine will be a long stroke 428.

I'm interested in your feedback on the gear vendor. My dad and I were discussing this weekend how the gear vendor should be utilized.....do you push in the clutch before you bump it in? Or do you just pull it into OD under normal load? I know they are designed to handle the power but don't know what makes them live the best.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 01:52:56 PM »
There are a lot of little differences, all other things being equal.

The longer stroke, can create more friction, at higher rpm.

The bigger bore, shrouds the valves less, with potentially better intake flow.

The cam timing has MUCH more effect on the torque curve than the stroke.
Frank

Hipopinto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 08:57:28 PM »
I have owned my galaxie since 1992 when I was 18

Fast forward 25 years and I finally am in the situation to be able to build it!

My car was originally a 289 2v auto car.

In 1993 I found a 66 country squire wagon with a 390 (c6me) and a three on the tree! I bought the whole drive train and the clutch pedals to make my car an FE

I did the drill bit test and that block had enough meat to go .080 over so I made it a standard bore 428 with a crank I picked up

The heads I had were C6AE-R but they had whipped valve guides and the guy that built my heads wouldn’t honor any warranty, so I put a set of Edelbrock RPMS on it along with a performer RPM intake, comp 270S, erson rockers, and a duraspark distributor worked over by Faron Rhodes I converted my module to HEI and it’s been great!

The transmission is a galaxie Toploader 4 speed but it needed rebuilt so I was going to rebuild it as a close ratio but David Kee convinced me to make it a wide ratio as it would be “better” on the street I am sure glad I did that!

Originally I had 3.25 gears but that is a heavy car and it seemed “doggy” and it was never in its power range the 3.89s changed that!!!! But man driving was awful so I added the gear vendor!

If you are building a galaxie ONLY BUY your vendor from David Kee! Gear vendors did not build the housing correct to fit the galaxie and David modifies it to work with the stock floor his price is like 100 bucks more but working with him is second to none!

Driving that thing is amazing! It is literally a 7 speed if you are “on it” (the vendor has to be rolling at 20 mph to activate)

To answer your question I do clutch it when shifting because without it it’s VERY violent!

I also machined my shifter face to hide the wire from the shift ball it’s a very clean install!

Also if you are running a 66 galaxie I mounted the vendor lights on each side of the clock on the dash! It looks as if it were built that way

My email is janowski@windstream.net I can send pics of anything you want

I’m game to help anyone!!!

Thanks guys and sorry for the long speak I just really like that car!

Dave

Hipopinto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 08:59:07 PM »
Dumpling

I picked up a center Oiler block after I built my 428

It’s more of a “what if” question

I thought that similar displacements would make similar powers

Thanks
Dave

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 09:16:32 PM »
Misread the post.  Joe-JDC
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 09:18:46 PM by Joe-JDC »
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 11:03:06 PM »
I built a 428 SCJ  (R code mach I)for a friend in the early 90's.Similar build to my 427.He had a 268H cam and I have a 270S cam.Both engines used CJ manifolds and I pulled his 3.91 gears and installed 3.50's (same as my car).By then both of us had owned our cars along time..His car was a auto and mine a 4sp...He had a blue thunder intake and I had the C7-F...Both cars tuned by me...For the most part he could stay with me..Both cars were built for corner carving so a drag race was pointless...I drove the SCJ for hundreds of miles..A different car as a auto but felt similar to the 427.The biggest difference is I could seriously out rev him...And pull him on top end.

Now...his car is a factory SCJ with the original drive train...I stayed moderate on the engine..
My car 65 427 .017 over bore  and std rods and crank.Engine built in 88.....I stayed moderate...

JMO.....Cory

1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 05:08:17 AM »

My question is as follows if a pair of engines were comparably built meaning same heads, cam, compression ratio and bolt on components would a 427 be much more powerful than a 428?

Nope.  You wouldn't see a difference. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 05:15:27 AM »

I realize one is a short stroke screamer and one is a long stroke torque monster

The stroke has nothing to do with how quickly an engine revs, how high it can rev, or how much  torque it will make.  If you build a 427 and a 428 equally the same, with the same heads, same cam, same intake, same compression ratio, etc., you will end up with almost exactly the same horsepower and torque. 

The stroke doesn't make for a lazy engine or a zippy engine.  I've seen extremely lazy 352's and I've seen 4.500" stroke engines that will zip and rev to the moon. 

Stroke = rev is a really big wives tale. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

Hipopinto

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 05:55:40 AM »
Brent

This is exactly what I was looking for!

I “thought” that what you said about stroke was correct but I wasn’t sure

I see many folks stroking 390 engines that will walk all over factory 427s and 428s so there has to be some logic to it

Thanks for the reply
Dave

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2020, 07:14:27 AM »
Brent

This is exactly what I was looking for!

I “thought” that what you said about stroke was correct but I wasn’t sure

I see many folks stroking 390 engines that will walk all over factory 427s and 428s so there has to be some logic to it

Thanks for the reply
Dave

I can point you to some 5.500" stroke engines that pull 7500-8500 rpm.   Yes, they are special race pieces, but my point is that stroke has nothing to do with rpms.   Displacement determines torque and there are several variables that go into how quickly an engine will accelerate/rpm.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

Hipopinto

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 07:54:06 AM »
For years I have been told “long stroke” engines can handle higher RPMs and the blow up

I have seen several 427 engines with windowed blocks and far less 428 engines that way

Brent in your opinion would you build as big as you can or is there a “recipe” or “formula” to get optimum performance for your vehicle?

Again just curious I love knowing answers to questions

Dave

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2020, 07:59:20 AM »
Never understood short stroke motors being described as quick rev'ing either.  Engine is hooked to a car chassis, whatever revs quickest is accelerating faster, meaning whichever engine is creating more hp is "reving quicker" regardless of the stroke.  I feel like there are many many many wives tales that are still circulating, and this is one of them.