Author Topic: T/D 7020 rocker set up? Who has a set they want to part with?  (Read 7060 times)

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Little update on the motor.

Heads leaking, got new TF heads
Roller cam bearings installed  (why?  the price was right and now no bearing issues to deal with)
Roller cam, blah, blah.

I have my very vintage Dove HD rocker set up.   Been very faithful for near 3 decades.  BUT, with the much increased spring pressure I am going to I don't really want to have to trust them...........as you can't replace them.

So, thinking T/D.   Apparently they have one set of shaft units ready to ship(not sure which version?).  I'm thinking since I have to burn my retirement funds  ??? , I might as well go big.  Unfortunately the pairing set up is 2 months out.  Racing season is going to be pretty slim to begin with, but not sure I want to wait til August to even try to get the motor in the car. 

I'm only around 650# open, so it's not a crazy big roller, but I HATE dealing with broken parts so I don't mind buying top end parts.  Another 20 yrs of carefree racing would be just fine with me.

I'm just asking around if anyone has parts they want to sell off?
I just realized I didn't put this in the "want ads".  Jay do you want it moved?
Larry

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: T/D 7020 rocker set up? Who has a set they want to part with?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 08:52:19 PM »
They are not 2 months out.  Also, you want the paired rockers, 650 lbs can pull regular stand studs out.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 09:16:27 PM »
Brent is correct.  I have used many 7022 sets(actually the one you would want if you went for the single shafts), with spring pressure up to 550 open.  I have seen zero failures there.  It is my opinion that 600 open is the absolute cut-off.  I won't put single shaft rockers of any type, held by only four 3/8" fasteners, on anything, and expect it to live very long.  When the shafts break, they break at the bolt holes just about every time.  I sell a LOT of T&D product.  I have 7022 sets on the shelf, with bushings (better), but that is not what you need.  You need a 7030 set, and 3-4 weeks is delivery right now.  We have received three sets this week and all three were about four weeks.  Bushings cost more, but are better.  A bushed steel set is about six weeks, and those are expensive, but they are the best available rocker set for an FE.  You should consider bushings.  It is $192 more than a regular 7030 set to add the bushing upgrade, but well worth it over the long haul.  Happy to help you if you wish........
Blair Patrick

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 10:09:18 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.  I was real hesitant to use any shaft set up.  I've seen the carnage on four bolts running a roller cam.  That is why I always ran little flat tappet camshafts!  But...I had to get this fancy new block and run myself into a hole having to upgrade every freak'n thing?  BTW, my old block is home, sleeved and ready to use again. 

I looked around and even though I'll be using TF heads, I need the edel rockers set up(7030)?
I was planning on cutting the TF rocker stands down, but what else is different about the TD set up that they offer two styles?

I have a local shop that is a TD dealer.  That is where I got the 2 month schedule(maybe they stretched the 6 wks you mentioned Blair?).  The shop I use is not a dealer, and with T/D contract requirements they won't be a dealer any time soon.  Does it take a little more pull to get stuff quicker? (gee, never seen that before LOL).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 10:14:13 PM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 10:25:36 PM »
I've never pulled a stud or heli coil out of 3 different sets of heads with a 680# open spring. Have had some recent broken Erson shafts which are smaller than Stock or Dove which is a bit odd since that's hadn't happened before. Also can see evidence of fretting on the stand mount on the head. Not a good situation but not the end of the world either.

Of course, the T&D paired setup is the way to go and I suspect either Brent or Blair can get you the best deal in the least amount of time. From what I understand, T&D can be a little persnickety when dealing with individual orders.   

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 10:50:33 PM »
I think the evidence of loss of clamp force on the pedestal is all you need to know.  It won't do that forever.  The flexing is what breaks the shaft.  Most of the time, it is only a broken shaft, but it can cause worse problems.  The threads can pull out.....if you didn't have that happen, I say you were lucky, and your cam had ramps that were smooth enough to make it last. 

I have some solid roller grinds that we use with traditional mounting, that have lower lift, so the springs never get that much open pressure.  Lots of ways to skin a cat.
Blair Patrick

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 11:04:33 PM »
Larry, the six week stuff is bushed and steel rockers.  Most people don't know they even make that.  Standard part numbers should be 3-4 weeks.  The Trick Flow heads have Edelbrock valve spacing.  The sets that fit Edelbrock valve locations are right for the Trick Flow in terms of spacing.  The difference in the part numbers is the shims and spacers.  I get those 7022 sets with offsets to fit pushrod holes better, but they won't build them with bushings or offsets one set at a time.  I have to buy five sets to get them like I want them.  The paired shaft sets like the 7030 can be ordered however you want them, one-off.  The single shaft sets are generally generic, unless quantities are involved.
Blair Patrick

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 02:29:46 AM »
" I think the evidence of loss of clamp force on the pedestal is all you need to know.  It won't do that forever.  The flexing is what breaks the shaft.  Most of the time, it is only a broken shaft, but it can cause worse problems.  The threads can pull out.....if you didn't have that happen, I say you were lucky, and your cam had ramps that were smooth enough to make it last. "

In my case I'm blaming the weak stands the later Erson versions used. They are too soft and can't be tightened down properly. That and the undersized shafts make for a bad combination although I went many seasons without issue. I don't see the same problem with the Dove HD setup. I'm not smart enough to know how aggressive my Cam ramps are but I'm also the guy who never ran end stands and used the biggest solid Cam Comp made at the time without breaking a shaft ever. Others, not so much luck.

Anyway, looks like Larry has all the info he needs without my interruption. I will be using the T&D's on a future build and feel good about that.   

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 05:13:21 AM »
I pulled a set of studs out of a Pond head on the dyno once with 600 lbs open.  It was not fun.  It was T&D streets.  Didn't break the shaft, just let go of the end stud and then the next one to it let go. 

I have ran the street T&D's at 650 lbs on a cast iron TP head, but the stands were fretting.  Instead of doing all the head modifications, we just switched to a flat tappet since it was a street application.

To use the paired T&D rockers on TFS heads, you will have to mill them down, and it's a good bit of milling since the stands are raised on them. 

To use the single shaft T&D rockers on TFS heads, you will have to cut the stands down on the T&D's by about .200". 

You need the paired rockers.....
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 05:36:47 AM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 06:43:40 AM »
Thanks guys.  Pretty much confirmed my suspicions.  I guess I needed to jump on this long ago, but we kinda were dragging our feet with decisions in hopes to reuse my Dove stuff.  I've been just holding off on spending that much more money right now as we all know what is going on.   I was also trying to figure out if we were milling the heads or cutting the stands.  I was leaning towards not bastardizing my Dove set up so I could use it on something else down the road.

I do like being over built.  My boat hasn't survived this long on using "barely good enough" parts.

Thanks for the input Dale.  There are times that you can make stuff work.  Others you can't. 

Blair, thanks for the info on what the difference is between the part numbers.  The website gives no real information, other then saying Edelbrock and that means nothing to the layman.
Larry

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 02:58:38 PM »
Quick question, if I don't want to wait for the steel bushed rockers, are the std alum models sufficient for what I am doing?  Or will they want to break like a Dove rocker?  I'm guessing the steel rocker is far superior.

I found a 7030 set online at an online warehouse in Michigan, but with alum rockers.   Would I just be selling myself short?
Larry

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 09:58:54 PM »
Many, many aluminum T&D rockers in service.  The steel rockers are a high-end, expensive deal. 7030  bushed AND steel, almost $2300.  Bushed aluminum $1790.  Needle bearings and aluminum $1598.  All of those prices include spring oiler hole option also.  You need that. Up until a few years ago, nobody bushed them.  The steel option has not been around very long.  We broke some aluminum rockers with .800+ lift on the Drag Week drive with Scott's Cougar.......on the fourth year on the rockers.  The drive between tracks is rough on valvetrain.  That was when we got interested in the steel ones.  Most drag race apps can run for many years on the aluminum rockers.  I will only run a needle bearing rocker if a customer just insists.  A bushed aluminum set up is a good compromise costwise, and the next best thing to steel.  If a person wants a package of parts, or head work, I can make better deals, but I can't advertise numbers for rocker sets only at less than racer net pricing.  You would have to inquire.
Blair Patrick

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 10:13:05 PM »
Aluminum rocker bodies adn roller bearings work fine in a drag only application, I think they would be just fine for your application. I think the steel bodies and bushings are more for the truck pullers and drag week crowd, or extreme spring pressure and/or RPM. Lots of miles or lots of RPM and lots of money for the steel rockers (double???). I have run the race rockers or paired rockers or whatever you want to call them, with aluminum bodies, and have several friends that run them for years in drag cars, zero broken rockers.

One thing that might sell you short, if you don't order them... is that most in the box or on the shelf, are centered rockers. I don't know why they even make them that way as standard. I always use offsets. you will need at least an .080 offset left and right for each pair, on most manifolds (including your DOVE tunnel-wedge). .170 offsets are even better, but you end up dong some work on the pushrod tubes. I have even used .250 offsets on the intakes (only), with .080 on exhaust, or even .180 and is what I use since my intake port is moved inward (BT HR heads). I know of one intake that used a .500 offset on the intake side, on a sheetmetal intake, and straight up on exhaust. So I wouldn't buy them without at least a .080 offset both ways, that should be about perfect on your DOVE, and maybe no clearancing... or just a tad here and there if you use 7/16 pushrods.

One other thing that you probably already know, is the paired rockers use ball ball pushrods, and oil through the pushrods. Not a problem for you since you have a BBM block, but you will need to restrict the oil to the rockers either with restricting pushrods, or restrictors in the lifter cross over galleys.

I see someone has posted while I am a slow typer but I will post this anyway.... just my .02 cent opinions, your mileage may vary.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 10:15:03 PM by XR7 »
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 10:39:57 PM »
Great info ccj and xr7.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2020, 05:13:06 AM »
I even use aluminum bodied rockers on some truck pullers. 

These Jesel rockers are the only ones available for a Profiler 221 BBF head.  They are aluminum bodied with needle bearings and have no trouble with 9000 rpm and 1300 lbs of spring pressure with near 1" of lift.  The truck hasn't been on a Drag Week outing, but these handle seasons of 20-25 second sled pulls.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2020, 06:30:54 AM »
Awesome information.  Thanks guys That is exactly what I was needing to know.  I can make a more informed decision.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 10:29:06 AM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2020, 09:42:26 AM »
Are the needle bearing rockers rebuildable, or should the rockers just be replaced after so many years/races when used with aggressive, high lift cams? A couple years back, Scott Miller lost a couple of T&D rockers on his Cougar during Drag Week. That was after a few years of Drag Week ventures, but shows that they are susceptible to failure after so many cycles. I'm not sure if they were the bushed or needle rockers, and whether or not it was the shaft area or the rocker body itself that failed.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2020, 10:20:29 AM »
In Scott's case, it was just cycle life of the rocker.  There were hours of running with high spring load.  They break between the adjuster and the oil grooves on the ID when they break.  I have seen bad bearings sporadically when I ran Super Stock hot and heavy.  Not hard to put new bearings in them, but it usually kills the shaft unless you catch it before it goes long.  I think the resonance in the bearing could shorten the life of the rocker body.  The ones Scott broke had bearings.  I changed him over to bushings when we went to the steel rocker bodies.  A good oil film on a bushing, on a nice slick shaft won't give up any power to the bearings in a running engine.  It might feel a little better turning over with a wrench, but bearings won't make more power, and bushings won't fail as long as oil is present and adequate.  A needle bearing is designed for rotation, not reciprocation, which loads the same area all the time, and let's the unloaded rollers "chatter"......like the fat lady singing with the wine glass.  Something somewhere is not going to like that frequency at some part of the range.  Bushings are the way to go in my opinion.
Blair Patrick

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2020, 10:30:49 AM »
Does TD make a stand that you dont have to cut the TF head down to fit?
Larry

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2020, 10:38:24 AM »
Not to my knowledge but it’s not a bad job to do it.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2020, 10:52:42 AM »
Figure just mill the flat down.  Is there other holes needed to be installed to fasten the plate?  Just curious.  There is nothing online.
Larry

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2020, 11:52:17 AM »
Ok, so if you use the single shaft rockers, you will need to cut the stands.

If you use the paired rockers, then the head needs to be milled.  It's not just the TFS heads that need to be milled, it's essentially any head that you use with the common bar/paired rocker system.

You end up cutting the heads down to just above the head bolt spot faces.  The sub bar bolts to the head with the included head bolts, then the rocker arm mounting plate bolts to the sub bar.  No extra holes.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2020, 12:03:24 PM »
Height of the subplate is critical to get geometry right.  I try to do them where it doesn't need any shim between the subplate and rocker bar.  It isn't complicated, but you don't want to just whack them down.  They send a height guage and instructions, but I don't rely much on the supplied checker.   

Thor is speaking the truth on offsets.  I sometimes use an on-center exhaust, but almost always use some amount of offset on the intakes, depending on manifold and port involved.
Blair Patrick

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2020, 12:07:24 PM »
Thanks again B and B.  That is crystal clear now.  I really appreciate the information. 
Larry

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2020, 12:13:03 PM »
I have a question Is there a quick way to check if you have needle roller T&D race rocker's or bushed i got mine at the same time i got my bbm heads i can post a pick of the milled head area if that helps.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2020, 12:33:25 PM »
I have a question Is there a quick way to check if you have needle roller T&D race rocker's or bushed i got mine at the same time i got my bbm heads i can post a pick of the milled head area if that helps.

You'll have to take a rocker arm off and look at it.  The cylinder head milling doesn't affect it. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2020, 04:19:42 PM »
Unless you specified wanting bushings, they will have bearings.  That is the standard procedure..... bearings.  You can see the bearing or bushing behind some of the snap rings if they don't have a shim in the way.
Blair Patrick

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2020, 07:54:05 PM »
In my case I'm blaming the weak stands the later Erson versions used. They are too soft and can't be tightened down properly. That and the undersized shafts make for a bad combination although I went many seasons without issue.

Without getting too off track, I agree with you. I never even tried to use my stock Erson stands. I did not like them at all. I could see during mockup, it was very easy to manipulate roller tip contact on the valve by simply moving the stand one way or the other before tightening down. Lots o slop in the bolt holes. The geometry was a tick off, too. I ended up having a local machinist make me some new stands that were .030" taller and finish reamed the holes to 3/8" and omitted the retaining screws at the ends of the shafts. It is as precise a fit as you can get. They are also made from 7075. I also upgraded to the HD shafts from DSC.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2020, 07:59:00 PM »
Back on track......

One thing that is a good idea to do is back or pull the rockers off in the off-season. This will save fatigue on rockers and springs. With the paired rockers it should be extremely simple to just bring one cyl. to TDC compression and pull the rockers off. Shouldn't be any need to even mess with the adjusters/lash. Everything should stay put.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2020, 05:17:02 AM »

You'll have to take a rocker arm off and look at it.  The cylinder head milling doesn't affect it.

I mean for Battlestar to see the area milled.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2020, 07:37:01 AM »
Sure, thanks.  It would be great for others to see how it all goes together anyway.

I've seen other heads at the shop get this style rocker, with the mounting plate, but never an FE.
Larry

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2020, 11:30:35 PM »
I have been Busy BattlestarGalactic here is the pic

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2020, 12:34:02 AM »
 JB, hopefully you have shim washers for the head bolt bosses.  They need to be exactly the right thickness to flush out with your milling, or you should spot face to get there.  We make some special shim washers for that purpose that we use.  I like for the subplate to sit right on the milled area when torqued.  My washers are 1.020 x .502 x .142 thick, and we spot face .140.  They will embed about .002 when torqued.  Most manufacturers' bolt bosses are not machined right-on, although BBM's are the most consistent.  Edelbrocks especially need a tune up of the bosses.  Just a little info that might save you some pain.........Deck surface to subplate on an unmilled BBM head needs to be 3.560 with my valve length and prep, bolt bosses 3.420 using my shims. That may be different with other valves and prep, but it shouldn't be much different.
Blair Patrick

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2020, 01:02:38 AM »
Cheers for that info

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2020, 10:38:35 AM »
So how does the oil get over to the stand? That machined slot comes up a fair bit short, or is it just far enough to reach the stand hole? It doesn't seem like it would be. I realize this has no bearing on a pushrod oiling system, but on shaft oiling....
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2020, 10:46:22 AM »
There is no shaft (or stands) as you would traditionally think of one.  There's just a little short shaft that each rocker rides on. 

Each rocker arm gets its own oil from the pushrod, which oils the fulcrum.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2020, 11:51:14 AM »
There is no shaft (or stands) as you would traditionally think of one.  There's just a little short shaft that each rocker rides on. 

Each rocker arm gets its own oil from the pushrod, which oils the fulcrum.

Yes, on the paired shaft system, but what about the Street system? Or using factory stuff? The drilled angle seems to come up short from connecting to the stand bolt, where oil is transferred up. And the stands need to be milled down a bunch on TFS heads, so that removes most of the "slot" that is present in factory stands, making it worse.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 11:54:04 AM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2020, 12:21:08 PM »
You only mill the head down when you're using the T&D paired rockers.  The head that JB427 is showing has been cut way down for the sub-bar for the T&D paired rockers.  The traditional oil hole in the head doesn't function anymore.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2020, 01:35:25 PM »
Got it. I was assuming that was factory machined height.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2020, 02:55:58 PM »
I have been Busy BattlestarGalactic here is the pic

Thanks.  I think this will help others that are contemplating this change.   If you do run a shaft rocker, you have to remove the heads to convert over to this set up.
Larry

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2020, 01:09:00 PM »
Well, ordered on May 4th, delivered on May 14th.  Not bad.    :o

Best guess....they were returns from someone else and that is why they were done so quick.  Not complaining though.   ;)
Larry

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2020, 05:00:48 AM »
Doing a set of TFS heads right now with the paired rocker setup.  The TFS heads will make a lot more chips, for sure, as the stands are raised much higher than the other heads.

Trying to remember off the top of my head, but I think these were cut to within about .118" of the bolt bosses.  I have some .120" hardened washers to go under the sub-bar. 

With the TFS length valve, I didn't need to shim or cut anymore.  Got a nice little .050" pattern on the stem. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

62Fordguy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2020, 03:22:00 PM »
Would like to know how the rockers are offset? Can I buy a standard 7020 set, and then use washers to make the offset, or does the offset have to be fabricated in the rocker? Looks like lock rings on the sides of the rocker, so washers might not be possible. Also can a needle bearing rocker be easily switched to bushings?

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2020, 04:53:50 PM »
Would like to know how the rockers are offset? Can I buy a standard 7020 set, and then use washers to make the offset, or does the offset have to be fabricated in the rocker? Looks like lock rings on the sides of the rocker, so washers might not be possible. Also can a needle bearing rocker be easily switched to bushings?

The offset is built into the rocker arm.  Not able to do it with washers.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431