Author Topic: 1963 Galaxie suspension  (Read 4763 times)

Gregwill16

• View Profile
1963 Galaxie suspension
« on: April 29, 2020, 04:06:20 PM »
Looking for ideas and opinions on my 1963 Galaxie suspension. I have read that just rebuilding the factory suspension is the way to go and also eliminate the offset shaft in the front. 
If so where is the best place to get good quality Galaxie suspension parts? I'm also not against upgrade ideas if they are worthwhile. 
Is it best to go ahead and just replace the leaf and coil springs or just clean up the originals?

BH107

• View Profile
Re: 1963 Galaxie suspension
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 09:26:36 PM »
Replace the springs. Rebuild suspension with quality bushings and steering parts, not cheap kits. Like you said, eliminate the offset shafts. Check with Bud’s to see if they still sell the HD shocks Donahue used to have, or also look at the Bilsteins through RCD Classics. If it’s a power steering car and originality isn’t important switch to a Borgeson power box to eliminate the sloppy power assist.

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 08:24:47 AM »
I used Rare Parts (rareparts.com) for my suspension pieces.  I think they sell the offset shaft replacement kits too. 
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 09:51:02 AM »
I used Rare Parts (rareparts.com) for my suspension pieces.  I think they sell the offset shaft replacement kits too.

I second this. I just got all of the bushings and lower ball joints from rare parts. Very nice quality, they seem a little pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Upper ball joints and tie rods you can get from Moog for a lot less than rare parts.

Sway bar, I went to Quickor. $300 for a 1" sway bar, the guy is really nice when you call, retired guy just selling them for fun.

I have read that on the 63/64 you want to do the cam bolt eliminator deal. Here's their web link
http://www.bornagainclassics.com/products.html

Lucky for you, I just went through all this research  ;D
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 10:16:16 AM »
I always like this idea better and it's far cheaper too:

https://www.ebay.com/i/251446444227?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=251446444227&targetid=886822083781&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9021663&poi=&campaignid=9343999104&mkgroupid=96003384673&rlsatarget=pla-886822083781&abcId=1139336&merchantid=6296724&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItp-yxLaQ6QIVwsDACh1R7AJhEAQYASABEgLCy_D_BwE

Agree that one should buy the best shocks (adjustable, no kidding) available and play with the settings until you get it where you like it. I'd skip any rear anti-sway bar unless you do serious (like near-SCCA grade) racing. Even then, a Panhard bar setup (many sell kits as weld-ins) would be far superior.

Steeting wise, one could drop entirely the P/S pump and convert to manual steering to fully lose that twitchy OEM Ford P/S feel. Going against that idea, get the widest front/rear rims (8-9's in front, maybe 10" in back) and some super grippy 16/17/18" tires. However, wides and stickys mean you must retain of modify the P/S if you do any city/suburban parking (parallel parking is a bitch w/o P/S in these heavy cars).

Miss my old, low mileage, granny driven (no kidding!) gennie '63 Cally built and driven 352 FMX boxtop (sniff!)!

« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 08:46:54 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 02:08:30 PM »
Yep those work great.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 04:38:46 PM »
I ordered the Aldan American coil over's for my build. I am going to order the Calvert traction bar's and mono leafs for the rear.
I have a new Borgeson PS pump on the shelf and will be adding hydro Boost and 4 wheel breaks.
I still haven't found anyone making tubular a arms yet.
Greg

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 07:41:24 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys. Will check out Rareparts and Buds. Anyone dealt or heard of PST? They were mentioned several times in the past on Galaxie forum posts.
Greg I was leaning towards the Caltracs as well since I am replacing rear springs anyhow. But I read that the mono leafs wouldn't fair well for street use. So back to replacement stock springs and probably a set Lakewoods.

Val406

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 08:27:48 PM »
Greg, get almost all the pcs. from Rockauto.com . There are a few options as noted for the offset shaft eliminator kit. Rareparts is the most expensive route. My mechanic friend made some eliminators for me. Night and day difference in the way the car drives. Those wonky shafts were NOT a better idea from Ford.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 08:55:01 PM by Val406 »

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 10:51:05 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys. Will check out Rareparts and Buds. Anyone dealt or heard of PST? They were mentioned several times in the past on Galaxie forum posts.
Greg I was leaning towards the Caltracs as well since I am replacing rear springs anyhow. But I read that the mono leafs wouldn't fair well for street use. So back to replacement stock springs and probably a set Lakewoods.

Greg, I believe everything PST sells is polyurethane? I installed that stuff on my daily driver Ranchero a while back. After about a year all of the white lube that they send with the bushings works it's way out and the polyurethane squeaks like crazy. Not sure that I'd recommend it to anyone. If the car isn't driven much maybe it never becomes a problem? Like I mentioned, it was my daily car.

On the rear I was convinced to use Eaton leaf springs. Cal-tracs for traction bars. I talked with John Calvert about what the ride would be like if I used monoleafs in the rear and he didn't recommend it for a street car.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 11:35:51 AM »
Thanks for adding that Mike I was thinking that was an upgrade. That is the problem today is just because something is supposed to better or priced higher, doesn't always mean it is better.
Back to the Caltracs, if you use them with your factory springs you have to do some trimming on the front hanger area, correct?

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 12:10:26 PM »

Greg, I believe everything PST sells is polyurethane? I installed that stuff on my daily driver Ranchero a while back. After about a year all of the white lube that they send with the bushings works it's way out and the polyurethane squeaks like crazy. Not sure that I'd recommend it to anyone. If the car isn't driven much maybe it never becomes a problem? Like I mentioned, it was my daily car.

On the rear I was convinced to use Eaton leaf springs. Cal-tracs for traction bars. I talked with John Calvert about what the ride would be like if I used monoleafs in the rear and he didn't recommend it for a street car.

I have the graphite-impregnated PST poly bushings on my '70 Stang circa 1992-1993 when I got the car running and no squeeks. Added them to every part I could on the car. Haven't visited their site in an age so I don't know if they still sell these anymore.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 02:45:03 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 12:55:51 PM »
I did a PST handling kit on a 1970 Lincoln MK3 that had front and rear Swaybars and KYB Gas Adjust shocks back in the late 90's , made that old Lincoln a whole new car to drive , loved driving it after that . My shop just did Sway bars front and rear on a 71 Monte Carlo a few weeks ago from PST and KYB gas adjust shocks that we sourced locally that totally changed the Monte like my old Lincoln did . My local part supplier still gets Moog so I source that stuff locally , PST seems good to me but never have bought a rebuild kit from them
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 01:01:31 PM by e philpott »

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 01:41:05 PM »
Bob Maag

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2020, 02:29:35 PM »
If you're still looking for tubular A-arms, Fat man fabrications still offers them. They are nice and offer improved geometry.