Author Topic: Valve relief question  (Read 4731 times)

Tommy-T

• View Profile
Re: Valve relief question
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2020, 12:51:25 PM »
Cool!

Post some pics of what you find. I'm curious now!

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2020, 02:17:14 PM »
Did you have the valve att TDC when you punched?

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

ksquared

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2020, 02:39:22 PM »
You mean the piston? Yep TDC.
69 Mustang 428
71 Honda SL350
75 Honda CB400F
79 Honda CBX
07 Buell XB9R
03 Harley V-Rod

FErocious

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2020, 06:15:15 PM »
  The method I have learned is to first have a good degree wheel mounted to the crankshaft and then indicate TDC for the cylinder/piston being tested. Rotate the crankshaft to 10 degrees BTDC and lightly punch the exhaust side. Continuing to the intake side, rotate the crankshaft to 10 degrees ATDC, and lightly punch the intake side. This is the point at which the valves are generally at their closest point to the piston. Then, simply use these marks as center-points and scribe out the valve OD.

Another thing to check , in some applications,  is that the valve relief is cut at the same angle as the valve angle. Sometimes the relief needs to be corrected.

FErocious

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2020, 06:49:58 PM »
  I had another look at the poster's piston, and I agree with Tom Gahman. The pierce points look to be on the wrong side of the piston centerline?

Edit:   I performed a quick and dirty mockup with my own piston and head here and it appears that all is not well.  Man, those TRW's had an odd relief placement though, didn't they? It was quite similar on my FelPro 2291's. I did not have to relieve much in my case as there was a mile of room to the valves vertically.  If I remember correctly, only the exhaust side needed to be moved a bit.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 08:34:56 PM by FErocious »

ksquared

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2020, 01:32:39 AM »
Well I guess I earned the Dumb Ass award.  :-[ I had the pistons in the block upside down. I can't believe I did that. Tom Gahman you were right. I won't make that mistake again (this month). And yes when I flipped the piston, I reversed the rods. Things now look a little better and now I can get down to checking real valve relief. Once that's done, it's clean up and assembly time. Sorry to waste everyone's time. FWIW I measured the valve centers on the FElony heads at 2.2125" and the factory CJ's at 2.1825. Only .030 difference. The iron heads weigh 97.5lbs and the FElony heads are 56lbs for the pair. With all of the aluminum I'm using, I've saved 129lbs on the long block. If anyone is interested, I have a spreadsheet of stock vs diet parts weights.
69 Mustang 428
71 Honda SL350
75 Honda CB400F
79 Honda CBX
07 Buell XB9R
03 Harley V-Rod

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2020, 05:30:20 AM »
Ha, I just thought the picture was taken upside down. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2020, 06:27:32 AM »
So, I have built a bunch of FEs but still say the same thing with each piston.  "Eyes right

As a military guy, it's a term you use when you are doing a military parade, the formation commander says "eyes right", everyone looks at the podium and at the same time, the commander salutes the senior officiating.

The reason this rambling makes sense, is if you install your piston with it looking like "eyes" on top, and verify the rod chamfer on the right as you slip it down the hole, you can't mess up.  Needless to say the valve relief location is apparent, but it also helps you make sure you didn't accidentally put a rod on backwards.

Now, I don't bark it out loud like I used to in formation, but as a habit, I think it to myself with every piston as I hang the rods and double check as I stab the piston :)
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2020, 07:26:07 AM »
Well I guess I earned the Dumb Ass award.  :-[ I had the pistons in the block upside down. I can't believe I did that.

If we started a "brain fart" thread, believe me, there would be a thousand stories along side yours..lol
Mike Finnegan JUST put out his latest Finnegans Garage video yesterday. He proceeded to put an expensive, multi-piece clutch on an engine he's got for his C10 truck. He gets it entirely done before his cameraman asks him how long it's going to take to realize his mistake. It took about 5 seconds for him to realize he forgot to put the mid-plate in. Back apart it came ;D
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2020, 09:35:02 AM »
yes , I agree with that , I say the only way not to make a mistake , is don't do anything . thanks to all for posting . still learning .

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2020, 10:00:18 AM »
Valve spacing is identical to Edelbrock.
Not sure what up - but that centerline position looks way off somehow

ksquared

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2020, 10:40:51 AM »
I think I have a way to remember which way the pistons go in...
69 Mustang 428
71 Honda SL350
75 Honda CB400F
79 Honda CBX
07 Buell XB9R
03 Harley V-Rod

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2020, 11:06:26 AM »
   ksquared,
      You aren't the first nor will you be the last to do that. Some real losers RAN the engine with the pistons in that way. Fine if you have a 4.6 or 5.4 Modular Ford V8 because that IS the valve pocket location on them.
    The L2245 pistons had a problem with exhaust valve clearance forever. Depth was OK but they "clipped" the outside edge ( toward the cylinder wall) and I had to correct them when I went to a cam with 246*s @ .050.
    Randy

FElony

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2020, 12:12:01 PM »
..... If anyone is interested, I have a spreadsheet of stock vs diet parts weights.

I'm interested. Glad you got your situation figured out.   8)

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2020, 12:21:39 PM »
Hey, it can happen! Long ago, my bro told me a pal had assembled his SBC but could not turn it over. Told him to have the pal take off the heads to see if it turned. Sure enough, it did. On first Gen, SBC's, the valves were e-ii-ee-ii-e. Told to look at the pistons, he had  swapped a few pistons onto the wrong rods and didn't have vlave clearance with his new hot cam. Switched around, all was fine. 
Bob Maag