Author Topic: Fuel Distribution  (Read 1252 times)

475fetoploader

• View Profile
Fuel Distribution
« on: April 14, 2020, 02:04:33 PM »
So I was pretty much decided on a Fitech 2x4 efi setup.  I would appreciate the forums feedback.  I have a bbm tunnelwedge that will reside on an  F.E. approaching the 500inch mark,  4.375 stroke.  So we're going with Proports, with the latest cnc work.  It will receive a custom roller, favorable to spirited driving on the street/strip.  Compression will land around 12to1.  This car has a toploader 4 speed, and 4.56 gears a 30inch street tire. Headers from REF.  My question is what goes on top of this tunnelwedge?  Fitech 2x4, Holley has a new 2x4 EFI setup,  I have nothing against carburetors, fuel injection possibly more friendly on a country road. EFI possibly better fuel economy? But that's not a big deal or many things would be different. I would love some input from anyone with an efi  F.E.  Thanks everyone!
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Fuel Distribution
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 04:00:20 PM »
Looking at the title of your post, the best way to go would be an individual port injected EFI system, not one of those carb-replacement systems.  It's more expensive that way, but it works way better, especially on a high HP engine.  At least that has been my experience.  Some folks don't want to weld injector bungs into the intake, or run a fuel rail on each side, or whatever, but there is no doubt that an individual port system will give you the best fuel distribution, and the best idle characteristics, especially if you go fully sequential EFI.  I like the AMP EFI systems, but Holley makes a good system too.  If you want to see how an AMP EFI system is set up on a strong FE, including all the software configuration, go to this thread:

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=4760.0

On page 5 of the thread there are some pictures of turbohunter's EFI setup on a Performer RPM intake.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 04:46:30 PM »
That’s some intense reading. I thank you for the link. Let me digest this awhile.
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 07:00:01 PM »
I'm not sure any of the "self-learning" TBI units are really suitable for a real HiPo engine of any sort. They work, but I don't think they work as well as a carb at that level. I like FiTech and have used a bunch of them, but on anything that makes real power I prefer something else. At the very least a TBI that you can turn self-learn off once you get a decent map. With some you have the option to drive and let it self learn and then save that as the base map. Drive again, save to base map, etc. Once you have a decent self-learned map you limit the amount it can vary from the base map to prevent it from tuning itself off a cliff.

But port injection with a decent controller and some laptop tuning just seems like a much better plan in this case.

Again, not knocking FiTech or a Sniper, etc. They're good, but have some practical limits.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 04:15:03 PM »
I have installed a bunch of TB systems and I agree with the others, go sequential port injection at the level you are going.  My 489 has been together since 2006 and 2009 I did the SEFI, literally, nothing but oil changes since then.  It behaves nice, runs strong, idles 250 rpm lower than it did with a really nicely dialed in HP1000 Holley.  All good.

The TB systems can work well, but you'll essentially need to have the same capability just ran further upstream at a very similar cost
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch