Author Topic: Being stuck at home can be dangerous  (Read 3418 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Being stuck at home can be dangerous
« on: March 26, 2020, 11:15:54 PM »
As I am off work for the next two weeks I start thinking crazy thoughts. My latest is to put the TKO 600 back in the Galaxie. I have all the parts and I now have all this time on my hands. I just don't know how it would hold up in 4300lb car with a 600+ hp big block at the track. Hmmm, I guess there is only one way to find out!

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Being stuck at home can be dangerous
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 11:57:06 PM »
I thought you were retiring the Galaxy to a life of leisure, comfort and heated blankets? Oh well, like Dwight Yoakam said, "Baby, things change"  ;D

Just from what I've seen, the TKO will give out on the track, eventually. At your weight/power level, on slicks, I'd think it might be sooner rather than later.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 06:28:35 AM »
I know the feeling.  I work from home anyways, so this whole quarantine thing hasn't affected me at all.  The home office is, however, above the garage bays where the '69 Mach 1 is begging for attention.  I go work on it during lunch break and as soon as the work day is done.

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 08:51:54 AM »
I thought you were retiring the Galaxy to a life of leisure, comfort and heated blankets? Oh well, like Dwight Yoakam said, "Baby, things change"  ;D

Just from what I've seen, the TKO will give out on the track, eventually. At your weight/power level, on slicks, I'd think it might be sooner rather than later.

Well I never thought this day would come but I am getting kind of tired of maintaining so many vehicles.  I am kind of looking at an inventory reduction so some vehicles may need to resume double duty.  I keep trying similar examples on the 'net of guys running the TKO600 in a high hp heavy car at the track but haven't really found anything.

KjcfeF100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 09:11:42 AM »
Regarding the TKO600 in a heavy vehicle, and used on the drag-strip, see this thread:  http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=6508.0 
One of the posts with a 3rd gear failure is mine.  If you plan on any significant number of drag-strip passes, I'd say the failure is when, not if.

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 11:42:16 AM »
Regarding the TKO600 in a heavy vehicle, and used on the drag-strip, see this thread:  http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=6508.0 
One of the posts with a 3rd gear failure is mine.  If you plan on any significant number of drag-strip passes, I'd say the failure is when, not if.
Thanks for your reply. That was what I was wondering. My main use of the car will be street driving and maybe DragWeek but I don't really want to be stranded at the track with a broken transmission and I probably wouldn't take it to the track enough to get a slipper clutch setup figured out. I guess when they make a girdle for it to try and keep it together it kind of raises a red flag.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 12:14:08 PM »
There's certainly no shortage of automatics breaking during Drag Week. Trade that TKO for a G-Force, add your GV overdrive, and you'd be good. But I'm guessing you want to use what you have.

I'm eliminating inventory also, Alan. Still got a few cars to get rid of so I can just concentrate on the Mustang and Galaxy, and the truck. The "I'll get to that someday" feeling is slipping.  ::)
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

57 lima bean

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 12:33:41 PM »
     This is a prelude to retirement.Make good choices....No,YOU make good choices.

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 12:53:28 PM »
I am almost there now. The Company I work for has been kind of hard hit with the over year long grounding of the Boeing 737 Max(we build 75% of the fuselage here) so they are offering those of us of a certain age and seniority and early out with a cash incentive. I will be 62 in November so I am looking real hard at this. However, this virus thing has complicated things. I need to let them know by Monday if I am interested. I really want to get out...I may just have to "call it" ala No Country for old men!

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 01:21:56 PM »
Feelin’ you guys. I don’t think I want to ever do rust repair again.
The cars I have now are all out of the dirty faze so I’ll prolly keep them.
Must say I’m thinking about all that though. This lockdown has been a nice view into retirement and I’m diggin it.
I’ll be 65 in May so I’m a short timer anyway.
I think keeping the cars will keep me moving and I’ll always have a project.
Gotta keep moving.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 01:32:57 PM »
A manual transmission is never a silly idea! Driving style accounts for a lot of breakage. Is there some inherent problem with the TKO 600 that causes them to break?

KjcfeF100

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 07:35:59 PM »
  Is there some inherent problem with the TKO 600 that causes them to break?

From the other thread a year ago, that I pasted a link to up above, there is more info. on what takes out 3rd gear:

I was checking here for FERR info since I couldn't make it this year and Just noticed a bunch of post here since the last time I looked. Interesting to see so many blown TKO's! I was at the Detroit Autorama and saw some Tremek reps with a cutaway TKO. Couldn't help but go over and show them photos, they showed me what happens. They said the counter shaft flexes and showed me why. The counter shaft is supported on the ends of the shaft nothing in the middle, combined with the rotational force of the gears at high rpm and a 650 hp FE motor, it flexes in the middle going into third, 7000 rpm for me, the force makes it try to jump a tooth and takes out the whole thing. I've since had my TKO rebuilt by Liberty and just hung it in the Comet yesterday. Went back to steel wheels with 10 x 30 Firestone pie crust cheater slicks. When I took the Weld wheels off and put the steel wheels on it was amazing how much heavier the steel wheels are! I am putting all the exhaust and street parts back on it and drive it on the street. I made it too heavy for launching it hard at the track. So no drag race crash box for this one but some easy runs and shifting at 6,500 won't hurt. But I got a 10.80 out of it with 28 in Street ET's! Should have not put the 30 inch slicks on it but I had fun! I think it would have run a 10.50 if the trans didn't blow! I need a dedicated race car. 

Thanks, Steve

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2020, 08:52:51 AM »
Alan, if your company wants to put cash and a retirement in your back pocket I would think REAL hard about taking them up on it.  Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

badcatt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2020, 11:58:10 AM »
I am almost there now. The Company I work for has been kind of hard hit with the over year long grounding of the Boeing 737 Max(we build 75% of the fuselage here) so they are offering those of us of a certain age and seniority and early out with a cash incentive. I will be 62 in November so I am looking real hard at this. However, this virus thing has complicated things. I need to let them know by Monday if I am interested. I really want to get out...I may just have to "call it" ala No Country for old men!
I took the bait a few years back from Boeing. I was on the 787 program then. If the offer is good I recommend taking it. Life on the outside exists.

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2020, 12:51:55 PM »
I would think there is a way to fix that TKO600 problem. The countershaft flexes downward away from the mainshaft…. so something like a pillow block attached to the floor of the case with a dished bronze bushing to control the movement and allow it to rotate would stop that. If there is no space to handcuff it to the mainshaft. Kind of like the way you prevent ring gear deflection in a rear end.