Author Topic: Possible wiped cam lobe question  (Read 4071 times)

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
Possible wiped cam lobe question
« on: March 10, 2020, 09:54:37 PM »
How much "extra" lash does it take to send up a red flag that a cam/lifter is going bad?

We broke in the cam for the 445 in my Fairlane Hardtop with no issues.  Solid flat tappet, nitrated cam, EDM Crower lifters, break in oil and inner springs removed.
2-2500 rpm for 20 minutes, or so. All went good. Currently, I am at break-in plus about 50 street driven miles. Easy on the rpm's, but plenty of accel and de-cel.

This past weekend, we pulled the rocker assembly's and swapped out the break-in springs for the ones called for by the cam we are using.  Everything looked fine upon inspection and going back together.  I run through the valve lash adjustments and all seem fine, most are a hair loose...a couple .001, 3,4,5 thou. maybe, from their original setting. I think, okay, wearing in a little.  I reset them and move on.  I got to #5 Intake and it was .025 off it original setting.  I was setting them at .016 and this measured .041. 

Should I reset it and put some miles on the car, and remeasure. Or should I dig into it now?  As of now, I have not cut open the oil filter.  I am working on getting a cutter.

Anyones thoughts appreciated.

Mike
"That guy has got a pocket full of money and a watch full of time!"   Hubert Platt.

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
Re: Possible wiped cam lobe question
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 10:03:08 PM »
One thing went through my mind, you might be able to answer from how you did the adjustment. Could it be you didn't have it adjusted correctly to begin with, or it came a little loose?

You should be able to check the cam lift and ramp with a dial micrometer and put your mind at rest, especially if you have it open and the rockers off.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

338Raptor

• Aerodynamics are for men who can’t build engines.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 10:48:46 PM »
You need to cut open the filter.

If clean, readjust and run it for a 50 miles then recheck

If dirty (with iron particles), dig deeper.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 10:50:20 PM by 338Raptor »
ERA 427SC Cobra: Iron ‘67 625hp 482” SOHC, TKX 5 speed, TrueTrac 3.31 IRS, Magnesium Halibrands, Avon CR6ZZ tires. 

1969 Shelby GT350, 4 speed.

1967 Mustang Fastback: Close ratio T56 Magnum, Fab-9, Wilwood superlite brakes, Torque arm rear suspension, TCI-IFS with shock tower delete, (Coming soon, FE motor TBD)

1970 F250 4x4 Mud Truck, 557 BBF, as cast P51 heads, 900 hp @6700rpm, 801 tq, Q16, C6.

2012 Cobra Jet Mustang factory drag car, 5.4 liter 4.0 Whipple, 970 RWHP.

1964 Galaxie 500XL, 35 spline 3.70 Strange S-Trac, 6R80, (Coming soon: Pond Aluminum 525 SOHC, 800hp)

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 11:39:31 PM »
I'd agree with above. Check the filter and check a couple lobe lifts using the pushrods and a dial gauge. That should give you a definite answer if it's the cam or something else, like maybe the rocker. It would still be possible to get correct lift and increased lash if it were digging into the lifter though, but a filter check would show signs there also.

I've had issues before with stock adjustables. I had to put Crane locking nuts on them and that cured that problem.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 11:47:35 PM »
Reset that valve and Run the engine with the valvecover of and check if the pushrod
is rotating. If not you know that lobe is wiped

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 07:11:30 AM »
^^^^ This.  I put a stripe with a China marker (not the coronavirus markers, those are bad) to make it easy to see the rotation.

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 08:33:42 AM »
This is the reason I finally ordered a good filter cutter. Well that and to hit the $100 free shipping from Speedway... 

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 11:36:47 AM »
Yep, already got the pushrod marked, ready to go. Just waiting on the filter cutter from a friend, and the result.  Will take it from there. Pretty sure everything was adjusted correctly at initial start up, and the lock nut was tight on #5 when I went through them.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone been able to fish #5 intake lifter from its bore, and reinstall, without pulling the intake?

Thanks for the reply,

Mike
"That guy has got a pocket full of money and a watch full of time!"   Hubert Platt.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 12:03:27 PM »
Depends on the intake.  Should be able to fish a magnet down the pushrod tube and maybe hand it off to the distributor hole though.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 12:05:52 PM »
Yes it depends on the intake.
I have done it with a 428CJ iron intake on - telescopic magnet thingy my dad had in his tool box.
Still was a pain in the a.

Cheers

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 12:27:07 PM »
It would be a factory P.I. intake, so very close to the CJ intake.

Thanks

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 05:27:25 PM »
Yep, already got the pushrod marked, ready to go. Just waiting on the filter cutter from a friend, and the result.  Will take it from there. Pretty sure everything was adjusted correctly at initial start up, and the lock nut was tight on #5 when I went through them.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone been able to fish #5 intake lifter from its bore, and reinstall, without pulling the intake?

Thanks for the reply,

Mike

Well...even if you can fish the lifter out, I'd be much more concerned about the lobe's condition. Mighty hard to tell w/o the cam being removed.
Bob Maag

Ranch

• Retired Maintenance Machinist, Millwright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 08:16:00 PM »
I had the push rod lower ball end go bad on me on a 390 Mustang.  While changing the push rod I changed the lifter also, was able to do it with the manifold on using a pencil magnet.  Lota patients when you're in your twenty's.  Took about three hours and that's counting getting parts and V/C Gaskets.... Hope you're as lucky

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 12:15:07 AM »
Due to having to replace a block on an engine with less than 400 miles that I wanted to save the custom cam on. I ran it on the outer springs for 25 minutes then on the inner for 25 minutes per advice here and was lucky enough that the lifters seated with no issue. I also cut the filter open and inspected it. I changed the oil with another seven quarts of Brad Penn 30WT break-in oil and changed it again at 350 miles. I again cut the filer. I used a ton of Isky cam lube as a precautionary measure as well. Almost 1,000 miles since with only a couple quirks.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 02:52:56 AM by 67428GT500 »

Cobrajet2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2020, 09:55:56 AM »
Cut the filter open last night and there is enough trash in there to warrant digging deeper into the valve train. Not gonna fire it up again until I can get a better idea of what is good/bad.  Had a Jomar no-by-pass filter on it, so maybe dodge a bullet as far as the rest of the motor goes.  Gonna pluck that lifter out tomorrow night and try to look at the cam lobe with a bore scope.

Maybe I get lucky like 67428GT500. I don't feel so lucky right now, though.

Mike