Author Topic: Those using Fastenal Shipping  (Read 4194 times)

chris401

Re: Those using Fastenal Shipping
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 10:43:57 PM »
Fastenal has changed their business practices here in Texas, to not allow walk-in traffic.  You cannot go to their stores and buy bolts unless you have an account, tax number, and over $25.00 purchase.  You order your parts on line, and go there to pick them up.    Shipping has increased 50% over what it was three years ago.  So, unless you have an account and shop online, you cannot just walk in and buy from them.  The deal with Brent was totally a misunderstanding on everyone's part, but it sure hurt the pocketbook to make it right.  I will take my business elsewhere from now on.  Joe-JDC
Like you I have to be in a jam to shop in local Fastenal store. Years ago I needed some long metric bolts to hang a European I-6 on the stand. The threads were an odd size but they had them. About $6 a bolt plus a fee for breaking the package open that was already opened and missing a few. I spent $32 that day. However there shipping goes smooth and is reasonable priced.

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 11:16:16 PM »
Joe:
That isn't the case up here in the DFW area. Someone had mentioned Grainger was doing something similar.

-Keith

fomocoloco

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 08:50:06 AM »
shipping local fastenal in lawrence ks has worked well and i have been very pleased with the service and the lack of them wasting my time and pricing but the last time i used them was last july so i can't speak to the current pricing. an engine had to be fully enclosed to be insured but that is no problem for someone with some scrap lumber, plywood and a nail gun.

jim
9 65-72  f100 sb trucks 6 428's 1 460 2 521 strokers
1 66 f100 lb ranger
3 67-75 f350
numerous parts vehicles and parts

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2020, 09:58:27 AM »
This may help some of you guys, it may not, but I will try to give some insight and help.

What Brent Lykins mentioned on setting up an account with the small parcel guys is correct. Not only can you do that, but it gives you the ability to negotiate rates. Negotiation mainly comes in if you are doing some volume in your area. BUT always negotiate. These guys increase their price every single year by 5% or more. On top of this they change how pricing is calculated all the time..again mostly on an annual basis.  They will negotiate. However, their price complexity is not decipherable(is that a word?) for anyone besides an NASA mathematician. There are entire businesses dedicated to taking your data, analyzing it, and filing for refunds with these two, all for a fee. They win a lot of it. On top of all this jargon, there are often rebates you can be owed on volume.  This is the basics and not everyone qualifies etc. but anyone doing any volume with these two need to understand it.

3PL- That term has been used a lot in this thread. It simple means 3rd Party Logistics.  This is a freight broker, plain an simple. A middle man. They have contracts with LTL carriers and ship freight. Most do not own a single truck. They get a cut of the money for brokering the freight. The water gets muddy here in that some LTL companies also have a 3PL division. XPO is one of these.  Not only are they one of the largest LTL carriers, they also operate as one of the largest 3PL carriers. Meaning, they can send shipments via their own trucks OR they can farm out the shipment to a competitor such as ESTES etc.  I do not like 3PL in that it adds an additional party to the equation. However, it is the way of the world today and it can offer a savings.  There are national LTL carriers such as ESTES, ABF, XPO, OLD DOMINION, FED EX FREIGHT, etc. also regional like AVERITT and SOUTH EASTERN FREIGHT.  You can set up accounts with these people too. And like small parcel there are about a 100 or more hidden charges you can get nailed with. BUT these would take a 3rd person out of the equation, negotiate discounts, and you can do volume quotes. If they need freight into an area you can get a volume quote (depending on size and weight) and potentially save a lot of $.  Be careful though since they can get delayed depending on carrier.

I recommend contacting an LTL carrier and discussing your needs with the local rep. On top of that, get quotes.  This is the best way to stem off surprises and save money on anything not going small parcel.

Anyway, welcome to the world of shipping.  This is just the tip of the iceberg.  I should write a book on the subject, it is a racquet.  Freight is a complex nightmare for those who have not waded in the water. The days of a fair price and easy process are gone in this arena. I may be a little jaded since I deal with it daily. 

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2020, 11:03:56 AM »
Luckily with my day job we ship daily with UPS and Old Dominion (I call them Old Dirty Bastards). But much less freight damage than previously with Fed Ex, especially to the east coast. With that we get a decent rate, I shipped a standard size pallet with one assembled engine on a stand, one bare block, 2 heads and box of assorted parts to Blair for about $250. Weighed about 750#. A set of heads in 2 boxes though UPS was $75. Still seems expensive though.
One challenge we face that leads to higher costs is our rural location. All be it in the heart of the Midwest. ODFL drops and picks up at least one 53' trailer here every day. They have a dedicated little single axle truck just to shag it 80 miles to the main terminal.

I will say that if shipping to Canada use USPS, considerably cheaper or have your Canadian contact arrange shipping. And if possible label as "warranty" Canada rapes people on across the boarder shipments but can't charge tariffs on warranty parts. They also have an agreement with USPS of some kind. Lot less paper work too.

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2020, 02:29:47 PM »
Even with my discount and shipping via Fed Ex ground won't ship a set of iron heads for 75.00.  The Edelbrocks were returned to me via USPS and it was 68.00 in one box at 60lbs. Iron heads complete are about 102lbs.
                                                                                       -Keith

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2020, 12:10:20 AM »
Shipping costs have spiraled out of reason the past couple decades. In the 80's and 90's i sent lots of irons heads that cost me less than $60 a pair and lots of cranks for less than that. It has stopped me from buying or selling a lot of things.

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2020, 09:31:35 AM »
Even with my discount and shipping via Fed Ex ground won't ship a set of iron heads for 75.00.  The Edelbrocks were returned to me via USPS and it was 68.00 in one box at 60lbs. Iron heads complete are about 102lbs.
                                                                                       -Keith

Those where stripped.

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2020, 07:39:16 PM »
I have nothing but great review on shipping two engines with them. My last was three years ago, shipped to me from Mr. Dove's engineering shop.

I'll never use another shipper. Now, my local Fastenal store employees were also great, so that may be different than yours. I had no way to bring the heavy crate from my truck from the street into my garage. They did not throw up their arms and say, hum,...bummer, no....they loaded up the engine into their truck, drove 25 miles to my house, and used their fork-lift to bring it into my garage. They loved my 427 Cobra and stayed for two hrs. I asked how much and they said, when you get it running, come give us a ride. lol