Author Topic: Unusual Winter?  (Read 5289 times)

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
Unusual Winter?
« on: February 05, 2020, 11:16:30 PM »
It was 80* here in San Antonio, yesterday, and tonight it is snowing.  My grass is yard needs going over with the lawn mower, and cherry trees are already in bloom, and it is snowing in south Texas!  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

67428GT500

• View Profile
Re: Unusual Winter?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 11:22:46 PM »
Joe, we've seen this cycle here before.  It's been nice that the temperatures have been well below average for the last four years. About four years ago we have temps well over 100 degrees for 77 days in a row.  If you noted it was one day and right back into the 30s and 40s.

-Keith

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 07:16:49 AM »
Omaha had 57 degrees on Sunday, snow on Monday and today its 16 degrees.  Normal crazy for Omaha, if you don't like the weather here, wait until tomorrow, it'll change :)
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 07:43:39 AM »
Ohio is all over the map for temperature.  But over the last 10 yrs it is within range.  Few years back we had a brutal January.  Near zero most of the month with snow.  This year, 30-40's and real mild.  I'll take it since they threatened us with another "horrible cold" winter.   ::)
Larry

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 12:02:04 PM »
Same - was 74 on the weekend, this AM it was 17 with 6" of snow and a layer of ice under that.  it's 11AM and still only 28.  At least the sun it out today so we should get good melt. Be 72 again on Sunday, then 47 on Monday.  Pate Swap Meet in Fort Worth is the end of April every year forever.  I've seen it sleet on that Friday and be nearly 100 with a tornado warning on Sunday.  Spring in north Texas is pretty unpredictable.  We schedule a Test-N-Tune for end of February every year - it almost never makes.  The one for March 7 will be hit or miss also.  That all said, it has not been "cold" all "winter" here.  The peach tree has leaves and buds (or did until this snow hit) and the iris is blooming already.  I sprayed for weeds last week and mowed.  I'm more worried that we'll see 100+ temps before then end of May and it'l be a brutal summer. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 12:04:37 PM by Falcon67 »

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 01:43:26 PM »
Had almost no snow until last weekend and very mild temperatures, that unusual. Then we got a couple of feet over the weekend
Monday was the first day you could feel the sun warming your face and melted the snow from the car on the sunny side. then the
temperatures dropped to -22F Tuesday slowly creeping up again +20F today. A feet of snow and 30-35F the coming weekend That's
normal for February probably back to normal weather now. Each day gets 6-7 minutes longer so in a couple of months the snow really starts to melt
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 01:45:02 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

57 lima bean

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 02:07:04 PM »
                             And in news just outside Oz

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 02:44:19 PM »
Each day gets 6-7 minutes longer so in a couple of months the snow really starts to melt

That is the ONE thing that keeps my sanity going is seeing the sun come up brighter each morning coming to work. Still dark when I leave, but near sunrise by the time I get to work(1/2 hr drive) Plus it being daylight going home instead of dark.
Larry

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 05:22:45 PM »
Each day gets 6-7 minutes longer so in a couple of months the snow really starts to melt

That is the ONE thing that keeps my sanity going is seeing the sun come up brighter each morning coming to work. Still dark when I leave, but near sunrise by the time I get to work(1/2 hr drive) Plus it being daylight going home instead of dark.

That and that first morning early Feb when i feel the sun warming my face for the first time. It is a enormus moral boost

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 06:55:42 PM »
OH NO!!! Greta is right, we are all going to die!
 Better chuck away all your FE speed parts to save the planet. I can assist in disposing of them for you.

chris401

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 09:39:17 PM »
It snowed about half an inch in Waco. Snow in San Antoni is odd. Was it 2011 or 2012 the last time you had snow flurries? It was the last year we had ice stick to the roads for 2 days in a row.

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 11:02:26 PM »
Chris: My first two years in the DFW area we had the roads freeze solid with about 2" of ice. The runways at DFW were a skating rink and if there was any departure delay of more than 12 minutes it forced us to return to the de-icing pad.  We had a mixture of ice and snow in Colleyville.
Until about four years ago you might recall the 77 days of 100+ degree temperatures. Some as high as 117 in the DFW area.

-Keith

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2020, 08:12:36 AM »
Very unusual in Erie PA.  We've been in the 30's to 40's for the most part all winter thus far, lake Erie isn't frozen and the extended looks like more of the same.  Snowfall has been well down too, the jet stream has been our friend, keeping the bitter cold to the north. 

Of course, being Erie, all hell could break loose to include a 3 foot snowfall with a few degrees directional change of wind and open water to the north, but hey, we're pushing mid February so at this point who cares?  We've already got it beat 8)
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 09:26:17 AM »

I'm with you, Larry. I celebrate the winter solstice every year because I know the days are getting longer from that point on. It's a small victory, but a victory nonetheless.

Since I have to keep all the snow/ice removal equipment running on campus, I have zero issues with the mild winters. And when all the equipment averages 3-4000 hrs of use on them, there is NO shortage of issues to deal with whenever we get snow or ice. ::) Mild winters make my life SO much easier!

I'm not sure when know-it-all teenagers were elevated to Super Scientist levels, but I wish I could travel the world and spout off about things I know very little about. Instead, I'm stuck doing it on this forum..lol
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 11:55:41 AM »
Was 23 F and sunny today. Was doing some welding and grinding
so i had the Galaxie outside,Just had to take it for a spin
My good how beautiful it is against the white glistening snow
when it is washed and waxed. :o 8) Unfortunately i had no camera when
the wife is away