Author Topic: robbmc starter wiring  (Read 1071 times)

ron bidstrup

robbmc starter wiring
« on: February 01, 2020, 02:54:56 PM »
I am taking the robbmc starter out of my race car and putting it in my street/strip  cj mustang. I was wondering what method of wiring is better.  I don't run a cut off switch and don't really like the the starter having battery power all the time.  thanks  ron

Cyclone03

• View Profile
Re: robbmc starter wiring
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 03:06:27 PM »
Well my RobbMc starter has been in use 10 years now, 1/0 from trunk mounted battery right to starter,though a cut off switch. 10ga from stock solenoid to coil on starter never a problem.

If you still have the stock solenoid do what Ford did when they went to PMA starters. Move the large switched cable to the always hot battery side and add a 10ga to the solenoid on starter.
Remember every Chev for ever has had the hot cable to the starter.

RobbMc warns against switching the main large input cable.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 03:10:49 PM by Cyclone03 »
Lance H

427mach1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 04:34:09 PM »
The instructions give you two wiring options.  I went with method 1, starter wired directly to the battery side of the starter solenoid and I did not install a cut-off switch.  I've been running it that way for many years without any problems.  From their website, "Method 1 is recommended because it is simpler, doesn't require a diode, and extends the life of the remote solenoid."  I tend to listen to the manufacturer on matters such as this, as they know their product better than anyone.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 12:23:23 AM »
I used method 1 also. I don't like having power everywhere on 51 year old wiring, so I just disconnect the battery every time I park it. I just keep the negative in clean shape and keep it just barely loose enough to twist off (also keep a 1/2" wrench in the car), so it's quick and easy to do and makes me feel better.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe