Author Topic: What EFI would you buy for a single 4V, or 8V?  (Read 1983 times)

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
What EFI would you buy for a single 4V, or 8V?
« on: December 29, 2019, 10:30:42 PM »
I have four Y Block intakes that are 8V configuration, and several FE 8V intakes.  Three of the Y Block intakes require Edelbrock style carburetor sizes to work, and one takes regular 4160 style Holleys.  I have the carbs, but would like to use EFI units to keep the retro look, yet be able to start up the engine and idle smoothly after sitting a week or even two.  On my Shelby, I will most likely keep the single 4V intake for the hood closure and ram air seal.  What EFI units would you recommend for 8V Edelbrock size, and 4V for Shelby?  8V max effort FE?   Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Russ67Scode

• View Profile
Re: What EFI would you buy for a single 4V, or 8V?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 11:23:53 PM »
After a few years of playing with my fast system on a twin turbo big inch BP FE I would go with a holley system seems all the tuners or dynos I went to worked with the holley stuff.  I had to learn to tune my port injection by my self   
In other words you will have a lot more help with the holley system
Russ
BP 520 ci BBM Twin turbo FAST EFI

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 11:25:00 PM »
I have no experience with EFI.
That said, I’ve had almost a dozen folks buy carbs from me to replace FItech. That would make me nervous to go that way.

FirstEliminator

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 11:57:55 PM »
FiTech is pretty affordable. Drew, did the people that went back to carbs say what they didn't like about the EFI? 
   I run the MSD Atomic EFI on my 482. It seems like sometimes it can't make up it's mind and surges a bit, then sometimes it's smooth and steady for a while. This is idling. Driving at part throttle I don't recall any quirks.  Can't say I've put many miles on it with the engine noise issue going on.  But, it has started every time. I chose the MSD EFI because at the time they were the only EFI that would directly plug in to a TCM that would control a Ford trans. This system was bought for a 79 F-350 that is going to use an E4OD. Someday I'll get back to it.   Anyway, since Holley bought MSD, I am surprised they are still selling and supporting the MSD EFI when they have their own systems. Not sure what the future will bring for the MSD brand. Back then, the MSD didn't not have tandem capabilities for an 8v intake. I think Fitech and Holley both do. 
Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
North Adams, Massachusetts

70 Cougar XR-7 460 C-6
70 Cougar XR-7 conv 351c 4v FMX
69 Cougar SS 351w AOD
69 Cougar Sunroof Eliminator 351w FMX
69 Cougar XR-7 390 C-6
68 Monterey 390 C-6
68 Monterey conv 390 C-6
64 Montclair Marauder 390 Merc-O
58 Monterey 383 Merc-O
58 Parklane 430 MultiDrive
68 Colony Park 428 C-6
68 Colony Park 390 C-6
70 Cougar Eliminator 351c 4 speed
I don't feel like a hoarder.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 07:37:06 AM »
I wasn’t interested in diagnosing the FITech.
My point is, I have not heard a complaint about the Holley system.
Just forwarding the feedback I’ve heard.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 07:47:15 AM »
I have been leaning toward port injection when I can, but like the others, when FITech came out it seemed to be pretty good, but Holley Sniper (which looks EXACTLY like a FITech to me, but people love them) seems to be getting more loyalty

I haven't tried either, but would think either 4V or 8V would work well.  If I was buying a TB system, it would likelyt be a Holley. 

Some things to think about

- Pump and return line - never super simple, sometimes not hard.  In tank pump is best if you can.  In my Mustang I could, in the F100 not as easy going internal
- Logging and adjustability - pure learning systems only go so far, need to be able to go inside and change things.
- Injector sizing - often they run small injectors on some brands and claim big numbers by adding pressure.  That's OK, but hard on a pump and reduces total fuel flow often requiring a bigger pump.  Best to be able to buy something close to the injector sizing you need
- ECM box size and wiring - some are simple and ugly, some are premade harnesses that are hard to modify

All that being said, I never had an EFI that didn't feel real good after install.  It's chasing little things that I have found the difference over time, and if you take time and tweak a quality system, it should be pretty slick
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 12:30:04 PM »
If I buy for a 8x on my car, it'll be Holley Sniper.  Gets good reviews and has been used in several video articles.  Also, I like to run both gas and methanol.  FItech is probably fine for a street car.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 12:30:48 PM »
I stayed away from the FiTech based on internet stories (not personal experience). We installed the MSD Atomic setup on a friends 302 Z-28 Camaro, got it set up and worked through all the kinks in Colorado, hauled it to Amarillo and when we got there it wouldn't start. The altitude/climate difference really threw it for a loop, and the altitude difference isn't that drastic. We were able to get it going after running through the setup wizard all over again, but that was pretty deflating. He recently took it off and switched it to a Holley Sniper. Like's it much better.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

FirstEliminator

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 01:42:48 PM »
When I first attempted to start the engine with the MSD EFI, it flooded. Of course with EFI, it's usually don't touch the pedal during cranking. Well, it flooded more than what the IAC valve could cover, it started after holding it open. It seems to have a tendency to flood, so I open the throttle a bit if it doesn't fire right away. 
Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
North Adams, Massachusetts

70 Cougar XR-7 460 C-6
70 Cougar XR-7 conv 351c 4v FMX
69 Cougar SS 351w AOD
69 Cougar Sunroof Eliminator 351w FMX
69 Cougar XR-7 390 C-6
68 Monterey 390 C-6
68 Monterey conv 390 C-6
64 Montclair Marauder 390 Merc-O
58 Monterey 383 Merc-O
68 Colony Park 428 C-6
68 Colony Park 390 C-6
70 Cougar Eliminator 351c 4 speed
I don't feel like a hoarder.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2019, 10:58:13 PM »
When Holley first came out with their EFI, I was writing for Super Ford Magazine. I asked them about doing EFI on a dual Quad set-up and was told they were about 6 months away.

Six months later they were in the same position and I suggested that, with their input, I'd do a dual quad install on a 427 TP, the engine in Brother Lon's '67 Mustang. It worked out very well, and was, at the time the only dual quad installation of which Holley was aware. We did several articles on the work, and the car was featured on the cover of the issue where we brought everything together.

We set it up with each throttle body a stand alone, with only the fuel delivery being joined together. We were lucky to have the use of the test track at T&C Livonia made available to us for all the tuning and measured runs. We used an accelerometer to get the data. The EFI didn't give any more ultimate power, but the mid range response was night-'n'-day improved over the several sets of carbs we used for comparison.

If I was going for throttle bodies for a street application, I believe I'd go back to Holley. They were very easy to work with.

KS

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 10:10:47 AM »
Looks like Sniper is the favorite, and Barry mentioned it on Facebook as being the easier to work with.  Guess I will be trying to find the best price on a single, and then later the dual set up.  Thanks everyone.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500