Author Topic: check out this fuel cut off solenoid  (Read 4204 times)

fe66comet

check out this fuel cut off solenoid
« on: January 05, 2013, 06:03:25 PM »
http://www.afcvalves.com/mod190.html I am going to install one on my fuel log tied into my ignition switch.

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
Re: check out this fuel cut off solenoid
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 12:02:51 AM »
Looks like it's an air valve, not for liquids.  I would be especially concerned about gasoline attacking the inside sealing components.

Something like this may be more appropriate:

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Solenoid-12-VDC-Normally-Closed/dp/B007N0GRIE
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

fe66comet

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 09:05:09 AM »
It is for fuel and corrosive gas if it were for refrigeration it would be braise on brass with 80% duty cycle. Stainless becomes brittle when used with refrigeration gasses and fails. It does state it is designed for all fuels meaning Diesel which the most corrosive fuel their is. Diesel eats everything including ceramic eventually.The one shown is stainless seat and needle with ceramic seals and 100% duty cycle and full flow. Certainly better than a Mr gasket foreign product but about twice the cost but the could is easily changed in less than a minute should it fail ever the Mr gasket has to be removed and replaced to be serviced.

fe66comet

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 10:58:53 AM »
That was meant to be coil not could spell checker has a mind of it's own LOL.

427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 10:47:46 AM »
It is for fuel and corrosive gas if it were for refrigeration it would be braise on brass with 80% duty cycle. Stainless becomes brittle when used with refrigeration gasses and fails. It does state it is designed for all fuels meaning Diesel which the most corrosive fuel their is. Diesel eats everything including ceramic eventually.The one shown is stainless seat and needle with ceramic seals and 100% duty cycle and full flow. Certainly better than a Mr gasket foreign product but about twice the cost but the could is easily changed in less than a minute should it fail ever the Mr gasket has to be removed and replaced to be serviced.

What refrigeration gas are you referring to? I have been in the HVAC&R trade for 25 years and stainless is used all though out the industry where needed. Brass is much easier to machine than stainless and is used more frequently for valve bodies. TXV's (Thermal Expansion Valves) have stainless needles and pushrods and I have never heard of one failing due to becoming brittle.

fe66comet

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 12:07:11 PM »
Same here been doing commercial for about 30 years until the the body gave out. I did mostly process low temp and chiller. Also high pressure steam. Brass always lasted longer than stainless I have seen stainless plungers snap right off when exposed to aziotropic refrigerant.if you are dealing with 22 or 134 medium temp no problem but when exposesed to 404 or 505 I ran into issues doing retrofits with old controlls. Most of the older stuff like 11 systems or ammonia is no longer out there so you do not see it much.

fe66comet

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 12:42:52 PM »
Actually this is not even relevant here anyhow.

fe66comet

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 12:54:48 PM »
I just do not want to to step on toes and get into off topic subjects, and I can't get near that stuff now due to health issues.

427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 04:17:41 PM »
Just curious that's all. I worked for Trane on Centrifugal and Absorption chillers and never heard of any issues.