Author Topic: Hydraulic lifter Pump-up  (Read 14365 times)

JimNolan

• 63 Galaxie XL 410ci / 57 Fairlane 500 390ci
    • View Profile
Re: Hydraulic lifter Pump-up
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 03:47:32 PM »
Just a question? Why would you want to go with a lower ratio rocker? Are you trying to tame down your camshaft or do you have valve clearance issues, just wondering?

fe66comet,
    I don't, I just want a set of valve covers that I like and will fit the thing without raising the valve covers an inch and hitting my power brake booster at the same time. And, I found a set I like. The GT valve covers aren't going to fit. I just have to get used to the idea. I had a real nice set of 63 valve covers I've decided to remodel with oil fill and PCV fittings. I already put the PCV fitting in and I bored out the hole a little small so the cover digs into the gromment enough after I put the PCV valve in that it hugs the contour of the valve cover. Now, I've just got to weld a tube into the other valve cover that doesn't take away from the appearance. I'm putting the holes between 3-4 rockers and 5-6 rockers so I'll be able to fabricate a small baffle under each. I'll paint them Castellian Gold like the air cleaner I'm showing in the picture. The air cleaner I'm going to use is a 14" round with 3" K/N filter with 1969 Corvette L88 base. Those bases have a two inch drop that fit a Holley 4160 carburetor with duel fuel inlet. I've already got a 14" air cleaner lid painted Castellian Gold that I'm using on the 57 now. Jim  PS waiting on the rocker stands now.

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 05:39:41 PM »
Jim, what's the significance of the Castellian Gold you refer to?  Is that the name of the color Ford used for the 390 or is it a Jim Nolan favorite?  Btw, that PCV installation on the RH cover looks pretty good...
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 05:51:06 PM »
Jim, FWIW I dont see how using a stock hyd rocker could possibly hurt the head.

If the valve stems are a little longer, you could have some odd geometry at the pushrod side and require shorter than stock hyd pushrods, but I seriously cannot think how it would hurt the head, valve or guide.
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

fe66comet

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 06:07:39 PM »
You would.be sacrificing a more than I would give up for the covers that's all. I have the same issue but I am willing to remove the cylinder to gain access to the valves or gaskets if I need to. My car came with tall Holley covers everything in my comet is like that like to install or remove the manifolds the heads have to come off or pull the engine. Kinda a pain but it is what it is I guess.

JimNolan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 08:03:23 PM »
Jim, what's the significance of the Castellian Gold you refer to?  Is that the name of the color Ford used for the 390 or is it a Jim Nolan favorite?  Btw, that PCV installation on the RH cover looks pretty good...

Bruce,
   Castellion Gold was what the early 60's higher HP engines and Thunderbirds used on their valve covers and air cleaners. I've got the formula and it's a whole lot more expensive than rattle can bronze.  If you want the formula I'll try and find it. It's somewhere here on this computer. I'd just have to dig for it. I had a qt. made up a few years ago and I'm still using it.

Ross and fe66comet,
   Me, you and Jay hashed this out before. No one could figure out why Edelbrock wanted to use 1.76 except for the fact they thought people used pushrods without measuring for length requirements. I talked to the engineer for 15 minutes and told him I was using Hydraulic Lifters and would be measuring for correct length push rods. He was emphatic that I used 1.76 rockers. The decision to go 1.76 was moot because I had to buy new shafts, rockers and pushrods for this build and there was no reason "NOT" to go to 1.76 rockers and also the fact that the solid lifter pushrods are bigger due to valve springs usually being heavier. My concerns are not that I'm running 1.76 rockers, I'm happy with that. The valve covers don't mean as much as throwing $450.00 at this point. These 63 stock covers will work out great just as long as I maintain enough professionalism to incorporate a oil cap into the other valve cover that won't distract from it's appearence. I was quit proud of the location and fit of the PCV installation on the passenger side. If I can find a vented oil cap thats small and unassuming I believe it'll be OK. Jim 

fe66comet

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 10:50:58 PM »
I am definitely impressed with your work truly a slid price of engineering. Was just wondering why it got so complicated I am going with the same heads and sure hope it does not turn into a new mousetrap deal.

JimNolan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 11:55:40 PM »
I am definitely impressed with your work truly a slid price of engineering. Was just wondering why it got so complicated I am going with the same heads and sure hope it does not turn into a new mousetrap deal.

fe66comet,
   It didn't get complicated until I wanted to use those GT Valve Covers. I shouldn't have even mentioned it. It really didn't add any relevance to the post really. But, I think everyone knows now that GT Valve Covers won't work with adjustable rockers. I didn't know. I'll try and add a vented oil cap on the other cover that will look OK also. Jim

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 07:50:47 AM »

Bruce,
   Castellion Gold was what the early 60's higher HP engines and Thunderbirds used on their valve covers and air cleaners. I've got the formula and it's a whole lot more expensive than rattle can bronze.  If you want the formula I'll try and find it. It's somewhere here on this computer. I'd just have to dig for it. I had a qt. made up a few years ago and I'm still using it.

Ross and fe66comet,
   Me, you and Jay hashed this out before. No one could figure out why Edelbrock wanted to use 1.76 except for the fact they thought people used pushrods without measuring for length requirements. I talked to the engineer for 15 minutes and told him I was using Hydraulic Lifters and would be measuring for correct length push rods. He was emphatic that I used 1.76 rockers. The decision to go 1.76 was moot because I had to buy new shafts, rockers and pushrods for this build and there was no reason "NOT" to go to 1.76 rockers and also the fact that the solid lifter pushrods are bigger due to valve springs usually being heavier. My concerns are not that I'm running 1.76 rockers, I'm happy with that. The valve covers don't mean as much as throwing $450.00 at this point. These 63 stock covers will work out great just as long as I maintain enough professionalism to incorporate a oil cap into the other valve cover that won't distract from it's appearence. I was quit proud of the location and fit of the PCV installation on the passenger side. If I can find a vented oil cap thats small and unassuming I believe it'll be OK. Jim 

Fair enough, and your logic is sound.  I prefer the the adjustables and a little extra lift is good with the better head.  It had seemed like the valve covers were more of an issue than  they really are.  Nice work, looking forward to hearing it run!
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 09:46:08 AM »
Jim, not urgent but if you can find the gold formula I think it would be worthwhile for the members to have... Also, there may be a nice 63 Galaxie in my future!   8)
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

JimNolan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 09:51:56 AM »
Jim, not urgent but if you can find the gold formula I think it would be worthwhile for the members to have... Also, there may be a nice 63 Galaxie in my future!   8)

Bruce,
   Your wish is my command.

Castilian Gold Ditzler Paint
Ditzler lists a color code for Castillian Gold as #32277.
DDL31842 QTY: 1 quart
Code, color, cumulative parts ,parts,
DMA346 black 50.0 50.0
DMA307 midas gold 62.0 12.0
DMA329 yellow 74.0 12.0
DMA384 yellow 144.0 70.0
DMA316 CRS. alu 228.0 84.0
DMA349 Fine alu 986.0 758.0

fe66comet

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2013, 01:18:52 PM »
I want to use my powered by Ford chrome covers I guess I will be making some spacers to make that happen with the T&D Edelbrock rocker I want to go with. I have made many before by using aluminum and cutting them out with a scroll saw my first mod always is full roller rockers for less deflection and more lift.

JimNolan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
fe66comet,
     I would have had to raise mine at least 1". 1" would have made getting the valve cover off on the drivers side pretty near impossible with my brake booster. I'm not going there.
     I found grommets that had built-in baffling to prevent PCV valves from getting too much oil on them. I'm using that on the passenger side and I'm also using the same size grommet on the drivers side with a 2" dia X 1.5" high K&N valve cover breather that's got a 3/4" insertion tube. That's as unassuming as I can find and it'll match my K&N air cleaner filter I intend to use. In case you wonder. I expect to add oil to the engine through that 3/4" opening using a funnel. That's not a bad trade-off for appearance benifits.
    Good luck with your chrome original covers. There might be a difference between your covers and the Pent House GT covers also. Jim

fe66comet

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2013, 03:33:22 PM »
I do not have power brakes so I might have a little more room? But the covers are not much shorter than the tall Holley covers I have and they are not baffled, the twist on breather does that so I might have a little room to play with? Thanks Jon