Author Topic: Scat Crankshaft block interference - Subtitle “why can’t anything be easy"  (Read 4659 times)

frnkeore

• View Profile
Let me add:

Take the picture of this, to the machine shop and he will know, just what your problem is and just what to do.
Frank

My427stang

• View Profile
I would certainly ask the machinist, but I would not necessarily turn it round again.  Everyone has a technique, but a chamfer like Frank says, working the high spot just enough to miss, etc.  This isn't a huge deal, my gut says that it skipped a minor machining process.  The one I had was a quick and easy fix
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

mikeelikee

• View Profile
Look at where the knurls are in relation to possible seal surface..
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2019, 12:45:00 PM »
is this crank offset improperly?

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Look at where the knurls are in relation to possible seal surface..
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2019, 12:50:19 PM »
is this crank offset improperly?

The lip of the seal actually rides toward the front of the engine so the knurls are not misplaced.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

DuckRyder

• View Profile
It is at the machine shop...

Robert

DuckRyder

• View Profile
Things you’d rather not hear your machinist (or Doctor) say:

"It was really bad"
Robert

My427stang

• View Profile
Things you’d rather not hear your machinist (or Doctor) say:

"It was really bad"

Certainly when things are measured in thousandths it was likely off by tenths, but despite it being shoddy and not right, the slinger isn't a critical dimension like a journal.  When you get it back you should be off to the races. 

FYI - Although I have always liked FM bearings and generally start with them for the rods, I have found them loose lately.  When you check your rod clearances, if you don't like them, consider a set of narrowed Clevites.  I strayed from Clevite a long time ago, but their numbers seem to be coming in better than the FMs on the BBC stuff
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

DuckRyder

• View Profile
I have the crank back, though I haven’t pulled it out and re-cleaned it yet.

I’m hoping Sunday for getting back to work on it.

They had a factory 390 (or 360) crank in the shop so he made the oil slinger identical to the OE crank except that it turned out slightly smaller in OD, I’m fairly confident it should be fine from here on.

I have Clevite for the mains, but still King for the rods, if for some reason they come out off on clearance, I’ll try the Clevite.

I will give SCAT the credit on the crank that the mains and rods were all very concentric I checked all of that, just haven’t gotten around to the rods themselves.

Edit To Add: Big props to Scotts Machine Shop in Fayetteville GA for fixing this and fairly quickly. Theses guys always do a good job if you need something in the ATL area.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 08:09:10 AM by DuckRyder »
Robert