Author Topic: power valve tool for Holley carb  (Read 8749 times)

rcodecj

• View Profile
power valve tool for Holley carb
« on: May 28, 2011, 01:57:32 PM »
Do you guys think I need a tool to remove the power valve on my Holley carb?
In the past I think I carefully used a vise grips.  :-[

Also I have stuck to buying only Holley replacement parts, but I was wondering if anyone has used Quick Fuel parts.
Their power valves are half as much but how's the quality?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 02:02:28 PM by rcodecj »

Cyclone03

• View Profile
Re: power valve tool for Holley carb
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 03:48:19 PM »
I use a 1" open end wrench to remove,but I install them as tight as I can with my fingers plus maybe 1/16 of a turn with the wrench.

I see no reason not to use Quick Fuel parts if you have a good source.
Lance H

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 08:48:46 AM »
I've never used a special tool either, always gotten by with whatever's handy to take them out.  I see no reason why a Quick Fuel power valve won't work, but I have a good stock of Holley power valves on hand, so I always use those.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 10:55:07 AM »
No need here either. I always use a 1" pen ended wrench. Save the $ and buy a specialized tool that removes Holley jets like Moroso and others sell. Over time, using a regular screwdriver will peen or burr up the slotted edges of jets, especially if one changes them regularly at the track.  Wish I had one long ago...I'd still have a lotta jets that got messed up!

http://compare.ebay.com/like/140556117532?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Some day....you'll thank me...LOL!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 11:06:31 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 11:58:01 AM »
No need here either. I always use a 1" pen ended wrench. Save the $ and buy a specialized tool that removes Holley jets like Moroso and others sell. Over time, using a regular screwdriver will peen or burr up the slotted edges of jets, especially if one changes them regularly at the track.  Wish I had one long ago...I'd still have a lotta jets that got messed up!

http://compare.ebay.com/like/140556117532?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Some day....you'll thank me...LOL!
I ended up not buying the tool when I ordered the power valve, the tool was $30 :o
I already do have the jet removal tool, and, you're right, it sure is a lot easier on the jet.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 08:33:58 PM »
I see you've already made your decision, no problem with that, I also just use an open end wrench. I did have a friend turn me on to a "thin" 1" open end a few years ago that comes in handy for removing the fuel inlet fittings on a center pivot float bowl. Each end opens at a different angle. Just in case you're looking to add to the tool collection some day. I believe mine was made by MAC. It also works well for the power valves. One other tip - leave the metering block gasket on while you remove the power valve. It will keep you from accidentily damaging the small raised surface on the metering block especially where the fuel transfers to the accelerator discharge nozzle.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 10:03:32 PM »
I see you've already made your decision, no problem with that, I also just use an open end wrench. I did have a friend turn me on to a "thin" 1" open end a few years ago that comes in handy for removing the fuel inlet fittings on a center pivot float bowl. Each end opens at a different angle. Just in case you're looking to add to the tool collection some day. I believe mine was made by MAC. It also works well for the power valves. One other tip - leave the metering block gasket on while you remove the power valve. It will keep you from accidentily damaging the small raised surface on the metering block especially where the fuel transfers to the accelerator discharge nozzle.
I cannot believe I did not put 2&2 together before! I have a fuel inlet wrench that I bought from Summit Raciing. I would not be with out it for that purpose. I just ran out to the shop and tried it on the power valve. It works perfect! Thank you very much!
Here is what I have:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SME-906010/
Half the price of the power valve wrench and serves dual purpose. Thanks again!

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 05:08:12 PM »
I cannot believe I did not put 2&2 together before! I have a fuel inlet wrench that I bought from Summit Raciing. I would not be with out it for that purpose. I just ran out to the shop and tried it on the power valve. It works perfect! Thank you very much!
Here is what I have:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SME-906010/
Half the price of the power valve wrench and serves dual purpose. Thanks again!

Danged if the Summit wrench fit the power valve that was in the carb, but does not fit the Holley power valve that I bought.  ???
I just carefully used another 1" wrench that wasn't quite so tight.