Author Topic: Lets talk rod to stroke ratio's...  (Read 6810 times)

frnkeore

• View Profile
Re: Lets talk rod to stroke ratio's...
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2019, 12:11:25 PM »
I'm familiar with Ted Eaton's dyno work on Y blocks and have read some of his articles on dyno testing. He knows what he's doing, for sure! I look forward to anything he can offer, in this area.

My racing has always involved, engine size limitations so, it's one more thing that can help.
Frank

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2019, 12:48:49 PM »
   Ross,
      I would think the later ignition timing requirement would be a result of the slower approach to TDC since the spark is in advance of TDC. I fully agree that the reduced area by the piston being near TDC longer would benefit from less advance.
     As Joe mentioned it is key to stay focused on "our" FE engine and not generalize. For example a modern Nascar engine usually has 28* total timing with 12-1 compression on "E85" type fuel. An FE could easily be 6-8 degrees more with the same compression and fuel.
   Short rods "tend" to have torque at a lower RPM than a longer rod. Some builders tailor the RPM of the torque band by changing the rod length for different tracks ( circle mainly).
   Side loading does become a factor when rod ratios dip below 1.5-1. Fortunately for us the 4.375-6.7 rod is still 1.53 or very close to a GM 454.

I am open to criticism / correction / different opinions.
         Randy

plovett

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2019, 01:13:49 PM »

What most folks forget is that torque is a measure of work performed, and it can be manipulated with camshaft degreeing, intake manifold changes, carburetor changes, carb spacers, timing changes, valve lash changes, and header tubing, length, primary tube size, tri-Y, four into one, collector size, merge size, and collector extensions, and probably more that I can't  think of right now.  It is not purely a function of cubic inches, or stroke, or rod length, or compression.  If it were, these other modifications would not affect torque, but they do.  Joe-JDC

I think all those variables affect volumetric efficiency, differently at different rpms.   So I simplify and say torque is a result of displacement, compression ratio, and volumetric efficiency, at any specific rpm.

JMO,

paulie

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2019, 02:24:28 PM »
to further support JDC my local speed shop Performance Clinic was just talking to me about SBC old heads verses the late 90's Vortec heads , example was a 1980 Chevy L82 big chamber 72cc aka big chamber LT1 heads 2.02/1.60 verses late 90's Vortec 62 cc heads similar prep 2.02/1.60 , both engines have the same 9.5 to 1  compression , same cam , same Performer intake and carb on two seperate engines 355 cubes only difference was the heads , Greg says they can match in horsepower but the Vortec Combustion Chamber produces 18 to 22 more ft lbs of torque through out the pull with both engines having the same HP , his thoughts was Combustion Chamber difference for the improved torque with less timing , not quite FE related but still apples to apples with different/improved torque curve on similar builds

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2019, 03:53:08 PM »
As an owner of one of those long rod, tall deck Lincolns, I can give an observation..  The chamber in the Lincoln head is not efficient.  Odd shape, deep, and large volume.. Yet my my 12:1 roller cam motors make best power at 32 or 33 degrees..Less than any stock head FE I have worked with.. Another observation is when I tear down an old Lincoln there is never much bore wear and the piston skirts do not show wear. As far as torque, it is no better than any other engine of similar cubic inch and compression.
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

mike7570

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2019, 04:34:10 PM »
Yes, less lead time.  The events happen quicker with the shorter rod, requiring more lead with older combustion chambers.  Joe-JDC

My 452ci tunnel port with 6.800 rods needed the same timing as the 427ci version with stock length rods. (40*)  I think the inadequacy of the old chamber design was such there wasn't going to be any noticeable difference changing the rod length.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 05:07:34 PM by mike7570 »

plovett

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2019, 05:03:43 PM »
Those two combinations have almost the same rod/stroke ratio.

452 - assuming 3.98 crank.  6.8/3.98" = 1.709

427 - 6.49/3.78 = 1.717

Is my assumption on the 452 correct?

thanks,

paulie

mike7570

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2019, 05:11:31 PM »
You know I didn't do the math , the 452 was 3.99 stroke.
I guess that's why it wanted the exact same timing.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2019, 05:40:59 PM »
In the engines that most of us are likely concerned about, I don't believe this as a variable worth chasing. In the case of a 4.25" stroke FE, the only rod lengths I have seen are 6.7" and 6.8". At 6000rpm there is a max piston velocity difference of .26 feet/sec. Through the whole stroke, the maximum that the 6.7" setup piston gets ahead of the 6.8" setup piston is .005". The info could prove worthwhile when comparing sizeable internal dimension differences, but when comparing our options available for a common stroker FE, I just can't see any added torque/timing benefit expectations.

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2019, 05:30:27 AM »
  Would wrist pin offset have any significant effect on rod angle and or piston side thrust in an engine with a marginally too short rod?

Mike.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2019, 11:08:05 AM »
   Offsetting the pin  changes the "pivot point" so the piston acts like it has a longer rod because of the change in angularity. Obviously this also reduces side load and "piston slap" because the offset is toward the thrust side of the piston. Many of us recall swapping piston offset from thrust to non thrust to see a small power gain. Cast and some replacement forged pistons still have pin offset but "most" aftermarket  forged pistons are "on center". Piston designs have come along way in the last twenty years as we learn more about how to manipulate sizing and skirt shapes to obtain maximum possible stability with minimal drag. Very thin rings are common now and a challenge to keep sealed against the cylinder walls.
    Randy

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2019, 12:57:57 PM »
   Ross,
      I would think the later ignition timing requirement would be a result of the slower approach to TDC since the spark is in advance of TDC. I fully agree that the reduced area by the piston being near TDC longer would benefit from less advance.
     As Joe mentioned it is key to stay focused on "our" FE engine and not generalize. For example a modern Nascar engine usually has 28* total timing with 12-1 compression on "E85" type fuel. An FE could easily be 6-8 degrees more with the same compression and fuel.
   Short rods "tend" to have torque at a lower RPM than a longer rod. Some builders tailor the RPM of the torque band by changing the rod length for different tracks ( circle mainly).
   Side loading does become a factor when rod ratios dip below 1.5-1. Fortunately for us the 4.375-6.7 rod is still 1.53 or very close to a GM 454.

I am open to criticism / correction / different opinions.
         Randy

No argument here on different designs having very different requirements, heck you know my position on 3-dimensional chamber shape and flame path.  I don't even consider an "FE" to be a single thing.  Quench pads, chamber shape, crevice area all vary and can result in a huge difference

However, in my opinion, pre-TDC piston behavior is less of a factor (although still a component) than flame travel during dwell and immediately post-TDC, especially at RPM.  I'd have to do some math to back it up and it's certainly RPM, chamber size/shape and fuel dependent, but the spark shouldn't drive a significant growth in flame and heat expansion on the upstroke, that is merely "when" the spark needs to happen to allow expansion during dwell and through the power stroke

« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 01:27:12 PM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2019, 03:00:26 PM »
       Ross ,
       There is a video ( youtube maybe) of an engine study with a quartz , semi transparent "cylinder head" so flame travel could be observed . It is interesting to see how the flame "propogates'' across the chamber.
  Yes there are "far" more efficient chamber shapes than the common FE we deal with. The larger the chamber , the more space there is to be "filled" with exploding fuel and air before they react against the piston and transfer the energy. Early ignition timing wastes energy (potential anyway) as the piston is further away from TDC when spark is initiated. "Ideal" timing would be zero so the piston isn't fighting against the explosion , but the lack of enough dwell time makes it impossible to do power wise.
     Randy

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2019, 08:25:10 PM »
My point exactly Randy, we must be talking past each other.  That's Chamber 101, and there are many ways to skin the cat, but in the end, there is no such thing as an "FE chamber".  Heads alone vary in design, but more than that, quench distance, piston design, builds are all over the map, and it's not just an FE thing.  I would also tell you that with an FE chamber, the common 38 degrees is likely due more to the fuel than anything else...reason being is "it doesn't get much worse than that" in terms of needing that much lead at WOT, even in other engine designs. 

When someone thinks chamber, they need to think in 3 dimensions, shape, as well as how those moving shapes interact, and not only with flame expansion but also with churn and airflow.  Although that is not the discussion here.

One very important word police point, there is no explosion in an engine, its a controlled burn with heat expansion that pushes the piston down.  I am usually not a definition guy but 40 years ago, when I was about 12 years old, I used to argue with my dad about that during his builds, and guess who was wrong...not him LOL  There were many times that I have admitted that over the years...

Back to the real story...if anything in my post made you think that I advocate more advance over less for some reason, I do not.  I advocate for the right advance,across the whole RPM and load range, which makes a significant difference drivability and power.  The "right" advance for a compression, chamber design, fuel, rpm, not to mention other inputs like cam design, even elevation, etc, will never fight the piston.  That was my point exactly, the burn will not expand fully until the piston is at the top of it's stroke, not when the plug fires, (unless you have too much advance, which you shouldn't, or pre-ignition) so my position is that pre-TDC rate of chamber volume change is less a factor with a long rod than dwell and the immediate start of expansion. 

However, even THAT position I think is minimal, I think there is MUCH more to be gained with a tight quench and proper upper and lower quench pad cooperation and 3D chamber shape than with the slight change in dwell and acceleration with a rod change.  However this post isn't going to change two old dogs that have slightly different opinions on how to skin the same cat with chamber design :)

FYI - It's going to be very hard to directly compare the two engines coming up on the dyno, but one is your 24 cc D-cup with a crappy D2 iron chamber and .041 quench, the other is your 24 cc dish with a TFS chamber and .041 quench. It will be hard to draw a conclusion based on piston alone, because all of the different variables in the engine, compression and cam alone are worlds apart, despite the cylinder volume (less the head, being identical) but it still  may give us a little info on two very different chamber designs.  It would be neat if total timing on both was lower than 36-38, no doubt the TFS head wsill be, but we will see what the iron head will do as a comparison. The issue of course is we know the TFS chamber works better, so we really won't know how much the piston contributes...however, we will know that a standard FE likes 36-38, and if it comes in on the low side, the quench and D-cup will have helped. We will have that info for both on 15 Nov. 

If you want to BS about that, I'd rather put it in one of the "guess the HP" posts, or start a new post and not hijack here
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 08:17:54 AM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2019, 11:40:35 AM »
   Ross we are on the same page! It is this medium of communication that skews things. The semantics for a true explosion where the "vessel" or "host" is sacrificed is a point taken. In the video I mentioned , there was a noticeable "flash" after ignition followed by a rapid "burn" away from the ignition source. I am assuming you call it a controlled burn because the "host" is not destroyed after the "medium" is ignited. When I speak of the FE chamber I am relating to the most common 72-75 cc chamber used in cast iron FE heads designed in the late '50s fpr '60s engines ( two year lead time at minimum back then) not the early smaller chamber versions or  the MR/Tunnel Port machined camber versions.
     NO , I know you are not an advocate of large amounts of ignition timing , we discussed that over the phone when I was explaining my Nascar findings to you. We both agree that "proper" timing across the rpm band is the goal , no question there. Back in the "stone age", I thought that "curving" a distributor was a waste of time and all you needed to do was pull the point plate and replace the heavy spring with another light one and set the total timing when the centrifugal advance stopped advancing. This of course resulted in unknown ( possibly detrimental) amounts of timing at lower rpms. Now with modern electronics timing curves can be manipulated to "ideal" situations. I fully AGREE long rod to stroke ratios require less timing . NO argument there.
     Back to chambers . With all of the attention paid to flow bench information , chambers have been "flared" around the valves and some now sport revised "kidney shapes" that dramatically aid airflow into and out of the chamber. This is not new news to you at all. In the past when some of these kidney shaped , shallow depth chambers were designed , we made "mirror image dishes to follow the thinking of reducing quench areas and combat quench related detonation. What we found as an offshoot was that as the chamber became more efficient , chamber matching quench pads weren't as critical because the chamber shape itself curbed detonation.We then looked at air intake and piston shapes that let air enter without "hitting a wall"  in the mirror image dish. We also looked at what was happening on the compression stroke with regard to cross flow from the quench pads.  These developments are not "guaranteed" improvements without the ability to test them in various applications because as you noted chambers vary all over the place and some just don't respond well. I COMPLETELY agree with you that some chambers MUST have mirror image dishes and the tightest possible quench to gain the most power. NEVER an argument there.
   Your upcoming testing will be very interesting , and I look forward to seeing the results. Dale's dyno is very "honest" unlike some of the "happy" dynos out there. Using the same facility time after time keeps the results relative.
    Best of luck.
    Randy