Author Topic: Taboo 226 Flathead Six  (Read 3695 times)

chris401

Taboo 226 Flathead Six
« on: October 27, 2019, 01:34:29 PM »
I have a former propane 226 going to gas. Once I get a fuel pump and pushrod is there anything else missing to complete it? Looks like the rod rides directly on a cam lobe. Is that right?
Thanks

garyv

• View Profile
Re: Taboo 226 Flathead Six
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 05:43:37 AM »
Chris the fuel pump on the flathead 6 is driven directly off an eccentric on the cam. It does not use a pushrod.
The pumps on the V8's and 6's are basically the same other than the way in which they are driven. The V8 does use a push rod that
rides on the cam.  Just get a 6 cylinder pump and you should be good to go.
These are tough engines and run great.
Good luck
garyv

chris401

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 06:39:01 AM »
Chris the fuel pump on the flathead 6 is driven directly off an eccentric on the cam. It does not use a pushrod.
The pumps on the V8's and 6's are basically the same other than the way in which they are driven. The V8 does use a push rod that
rides on the cam.  Just get a 6 cylinder pump and you should be good to go.
These are tough engines and run great.
Good luck
garyv
Thanks. I spoke with a flathead mechanic last night and he recommended an electric fuel pump. His advice on the automotive side of the flathead was they were bad about vapor locking. This being out in the open on a tractor do you think it will be an issue?

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 07:31:23 AM »
He's right about flatheads having vapor lock issues, same with the early Falcon/Comet overhead 6 engines, but can't say I've ever seen the problem on a tractor. My Dad ran nothing but old Farmalls when I was growing up, and I've had old Ford tractors, and never experienced vapor lock in any of them. Older tractors are almost always gravity fed though.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

garyv

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 07:32:37 AM »
Everyone that I know that runs these engines runs a standard fuel pump without any issues.
They ran like that forever. I'm going to replace the pump on mine with a stock style pump.
 let me know how it turns out.

garyv

garyv

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 08:28:13 AM »
Chris if this engine is in a tractor I believe they are just gravity fed and don't require a fuel pump.

garyv

chris401

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 08:55:50 AM »
Chris if this engine is in a tractor I believe they are just gravity fed and don't require a fuel pump.

garyv
From my understanding the complete Funk kits had a fuel pump. As is the 5/16" line can't gravity feed fast enough to keep the fuel bowl level up. I ordered a mechanical fuel pump this morning. If I have any problems I'll swap to electric.

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 10:38:01 AM »
All of our old Farmalls are gravity fed H, M, 656, 706, from 40 to 70hp stock. The larger ones use a 5/16 line. Just throwing it out there.
All updraft carbs. Only issue is crap in the tank. Inline filter after the sediment bulb helps a bunch. I like to keep the sediment bulb if at all possible. Best is to make a stand pipe in the tank so you aren't pulling directly off the bottom where all the sediment is. Maybe an inch tall and cut at an angle.

chris401

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 03:42:04 PM »
Even with a filter it gets good flow through the 5/16" line. These use a down draft industrial / pickup carb. I don't think a Holley 3V and an RPM are going to fix this one.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 09:23:03 PM »
For what it's worth, Ford flathead V8s are well known for vapor lock.

KS

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 06:08:03 PM »
Went out and looked at my Funk, and it is indeed gravity feed with a blockoff plate on the block. Been around tractors all my life, gramps had an IH dealership and we had 706Ds, 8Ns, TO20s, JD 420, combines, many others, all were gravity feed

chris401

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 12:24:43 AM »
Grew up around tractors and hay bailing as well. Best I can remember all carbureted tractors were gravity fed. One thing is I do not have the right carburetor. It is a Carter off of a Maverick 200 six. The bowls on a automobile carb are smaller. The up draft 9N carb had a larger bowl. It is not a problem until you have the drive train and blade loaded.

chris401

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 12:30:00 AM »
Went out and looked at my Funk, and it is indeed gravity feed with a blockoff plate on the block. Been around tractors all my life, gramps had an IH dealership and we had 706Ds, 8Ns, TO20s, JD 420, combines, many others, all were gravity feed
Is yours the cast iron oil pan version? My intake is a level Industrial engine. It is not slanted like the automotive. The reading I have come across mentioned the complete kit with govenor and fuel pump was typically equipped with a new Industrial engine.