Author Topic: Okay, I decided to try VR1. Looking at what to run.  (Read 4828 times)

gregaba

• View Profile
Re: Okay, I decided to try VR1. Looking at what to run.
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 10:59:15 AM »
My 13 Boss 302 came from the factory with a blend. Ford recommended that I use the blend oil after the first oil change. I keep the blend for the first 2500 miles and then switched to full syn.
No problems.
I don't know what Ford recommends for the new cars now as I have decided not to buy any more new cars but just drive the classics.
I have all ways used 10-30 in my older engines and never had any oil related problems.
Greg

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 01:18:43 PM »
Synthetic oil is indeed factory-filled in several high-end vehicles.  High-zoot Corvettes and all Porches come to mind.  Here's a list I found on the web of Mobil-1 factory fills:

https://www.oilchangeiowacity.com/factory-filled-vehicles
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2019, 01:44:23 PM »
VR1 has non synthetic available too

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2019, 05:01:25 PM »
I run non syn vr1 20w50 in everything.  Last few times I bought 12 qts you got $1 off a qt at Summit.
Larry

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2019, 06:35:44 PM »
I have found VR-1 10W30 non syn race oil for less than 6 dollars a qt. on line....Amazon vs. the 7.99 a qt. the local stores ask.
My mix is 2 qts. of the VR-1 20W50 with 4.5 VR-1 10W30 for summer use.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2019, 08:00:11 PM »
Synthetic oil is indeed factory-filled in several high-end vehicles.  High-zoot Corvettes and all Porches come to mind.  Here's a list I found on the web of Mobil-1 factory fills:

https://www.oilchangeiowacity.com/factory-filled-vehicles

My 2018 S5 turbo Audi coupe came with full syn oil as well. They recommend Castrol Edge 0W-20 full syn oil. But, they do test run each engine before final vehicle assembly and I don't know if Audi drains what I suspect is dino break-in oil at that point and re-fill with syn oil.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 11:20:17 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2019, 11:21:36 PM »
I won't run Castrol. However, three of my last new vehicles were Turbos and 0-40 Mobil 1 is the recommended.  I use 10-40. Too hot here NE Texas for 0-40.
It holds up well, but I never use their recommended change intervals of 10,000 miles. It comes out every 3500.

As for the FE, I was a bit perplexed at the offerings on the shelves.  Almost all were a blend.  This change I will run the break in oil for 800 miles before going to the Penn partial synthetic 10-40 at 1000 miles. 

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2019, 08:24:35 AM »
Factory Turbo vehicles always run Synthetic , if not the oil would Coke in the Turbo every time you shut it off hot , Synthetic can't possibly be great for seating rings even though it works for some manufactores , I'm sure the OEM's have better boring and hone equipment than most aftermarket shops , myself I'll stick with conventional in my FE

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2019, 09:08:20 AM »
We've had several new Fords - all come with full syn oil in them from the get-go.  I put full syn in the 93 F-350 too.

Are you sure that new cars are sitting in the showroom with synthetic oil?   I've heard from several sources that that's not the case, but you know about hear-say.

LOL, if they are it's a cost accounting thing I'm sure.  I'll look again in the manual, but our 2017 and 2019 Escape 2.0L Ecoboost cars don't mention anything but syn.

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2019, 09:49:18 AM »
My local Napa that I have an account with told me to come back in November and VR1 will be on sale.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2019, 09:58:53 AM »
Factory Turbo vehicles always run Synthetic , if not the oil would Coke in the Turbo every time you shut it off hot , Synthetic can't possibly be great for seating rings even though it works for some manufactores , I'm sure the OEM's have better boring and hone equipment than most aftermarket shops , myself I'll stick with conventional in my FE

I'd like to research that.  I'm of the mind that an assembly line can't take the time to really nail down the tolerance on a hone job like a race shop could. 

I do agree, though, that I can't see a synthetic oil being easy on break-in.  I wonder if that's why a lot of manufacturers have oil consumption issues from time to time.  I was always under the impression that a new car would come with some good ole mineral oil and then you swapped to synthetic on the first oil change.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2019, 11:18:28 AM »

I'd like to research that.  I'm of the mind that an assembly line can't take the time to really nail down the tolerance on a hone job like a race shop could. 

I do agree, though, that I can't see a synthetic oil being easy on break-in.  I wonder if that's why a lot of manufacturers have oil consumption issues from time to time.  I was always under the impression that a new car would come with some good ole mineral oil and then you swapped to synthetic on the first oil change.

I think Brent that a number of at least higher end cars, as noted above, do get run-in time (not even sure I'd call it a real dyno session) for break-in and to ensure at least some minimum hp, torque, rpm levels are achieved to prevent a recall later.  That run-in time may very well be mineral oil as you noted yet it may get drained for review...and the engines that 'pass' get re-filled with syn oil.

I did see a YouTube vid on a factory build of a Lamborghini V-12 and they even said that is exactly what they do during a view of an engine run-in sequence. As for other makes, I don't know.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 11:21:04 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2019, 05:53:44 PM »
I do some work at a local truck manufacturing facility occasionally. The engines show up on the loading dock dry and are filled once the truck nears the end of the assembly line. They are currently all getting Delo 5w40 synthetic.

I honestly don't see the issue switching to synthetic or a blend right away. And what the marketing on the label mentions VS what is really in the bottle is 2 different things. A lot of synthetic oils marketed in the US are what the oil industry still considers a traditional oil and are group 3 severely hydro-cracked base oils. Depending on the build and machining there is good cause for a brakein oil, or at least some breakin additives, but I think this entire no synthetic in a fresh engine is the same hold-over and partially mis-information as the synthetic oil causes oil leaks. The oil leak was already there, the synthetic was just able to flow thru places the crusty dino oil wouldn't. Additionally it depends on what kind of "synthetic" you had a leak with as they don't all have the same chemical properties. For instance, the ester base oils used in engine oil have a natural tendency to swell the elastomers typically used in seals and would help seal leaks not cause them. Conversely, POA base oils can tend to shrink those same materials and you have to add swell agents to the additive package with those (also frequently added in the ad packs of high mileage oils).

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2019, 08:57:09 PM »
Most engines are not like our older vehicles. Almost all performance and turbo engines are ran in. Yup, it's a dyno. Like Brent mentioned. They seat the rings and heat cycle them.
The two manufacturers I saw, one being BMW are ran in on mineral oil. It's dumped post run in and synthetic replaces it.  Most modern engines are roller valve trains so your break in is more or less limited to rings. Turbos don't really coke like they used to because of the newer bearing design and the fact the housings are water cooled.
I had that issue with the 1984 Toyota turbo truck I ordered new. HKS  and Garret used it to prototype the intercooler, adjustable wastegate, performance computer and exhaust.
I brought a  2014 SAAB 9-3 Griffin convertible home from Sweden. 366 horsepower variant. It actually continues to circulates water though the engine post shut down. The V6 Cadillac engine is shoe-horned into them and suffers like our big block shock tower cars do. They are actually in tighter.
I just bought a new Lincoln MKC last week. It's the ecoboost and it does recommend 5w30  Ford synthetic. I won't be using Ford oil. Mobil one, like the other turbos.