Author Topic: Metallic oil after rebuild?  (Read 1088 times)

happystang

• View Profile
Metallic oil after rebuild?
« on: September 23, 2019, 01:39:08 PM »
I have maybe 6000 miles on a a rebuilt 428. New bearings and rings- the machine shop built the short block. I'm on my 3rd (?) oil change and noticed that the oil still has a slight shimmer when I run my finger through it.

It's a fresh rebuild, the first rebuild ended in a chewed up rod bearing after 200 miles.

Running a hydraulic roller cam with HS roller rockers on Edelbrock aluminum heads w/ restrictors. Oil pump is a precision pumps HV unit, I get around 17-20 PSI oil pressure hot idle and around 62-64 PSI hot at 2800 RPM on the freeway. Oil pressure does not seem to have changed during this 6000 mile span. I do remember using a liberal amount of the ARP assembly lube when I build the long block.

I've been using Rotella 10w30 and a motorcraft oil filter this entire time. Should I just keep changing the oil in shorter intervals?

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Metallic oil after rebuild?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 01:45:31 PM »
If you're concerned, cut a filter apart. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 01:46:35 PM »
Time to send a sample to Blackstone labs?  They can tell you what the material is that is in the oil.
https://www.blackstone-labs.com

Three oil changes is more then adequate at that mileage.  Break in, and about every 3K miles after.

Have you ever cut a filter apart after the oil change?  Pull the pleats out and see what it is there.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Engine-Motor-Oil-Filter-Cutter-Tool,2618.html?sku=91081031&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9oKYxM3n5AIVSz0MCh1UEQ1kEAQYAiABEgLhq_D_BwE

I use one on the race car every winter.  Lets me know if I need to dig into over the winter.
Larry

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 03:08:14 PM »
You can get a quick result -though not scientific- by running a magnet through the oil.  If the magnet picks up debris, then it's probably the cam or other ferrous (iron) metal.  If little to no stick, then you're probably looking at bearings or pistons.