Author Topic: Pump Gas Cam Selection  (Read 5525 times)

Sand hauler

• View Profile
Re: Pump Gas Cam Selection
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2019, 07:53:44 PM »
The 3 bee's , LMAO I like that. Like Paulie said those are the guys
Bobby-   Carlsbad, NM

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2019, 08:56:41 PM »
Thanks, but as I said in the original post this is an ECONOMY rebuild.  Pretty much everything will be off the shelf!   :)

If $65 is gonna break you, FE engines may not be your thing

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2019, 08:56:54 PM »
How about  the 390 GT/ CJ cam? 

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2019, 06:23:38 AM »
Here's the rub on this question...you said cast piston, tight quench.  That will cost you almost as much as going with a good set of Speedpro L2291s in a 390 based engine because there really is no good cheap piston that will get you to a tight quench without a .041 gasket and a heavy block cut.  There just isn't anything out there that has a decent pin height

If it were mine, I'd go 390 with L2291s with a cut to a 10.155 deck.  Save the 3.98 crank money. That combo will get the pistons .001 proud and run the cheaper blue Felpro 8554 gasket.  That should be also be about the same cost +/- 50 bucks from making the cast pistons work.

Then custom cam or off the shelf, either way, I like custom usually, but when you are in that HP range, I'd be more concerned with the lifter choice.  I like the Camsavers as they give a little more oil to the lobe.  I will say I am not a 268H cam fan, I think it's too short for an engine like this and the combo can use some exhaust lobe.  I'd be in the 272 intake range for advertised with about 8-10 degrees more on the exhaust, conservative ,.050 numbers, 110 LSA on 106.   Spend any extra money on a distributor recurve and a shift kit, it'll be fun

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Riderjeff

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 02:59:41 PM »
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies, obviously I'm still sorting it out and will probably make the final choices with my builder.

I had no idea a custom grind was so close in price to off-the-shelf parts.  I figured 2x or 3x more!  Yeah, $65 is pocket change on an FE project...

If it were mine, I'd go 390 with L2291s with a cut to a 10.155 deck.  Save the 3.98 crank money. That combo will get the pistons .001 proud and run the cheaper blue Felpro 8554 gasket.  That should be also be about the same cost +/- 50 bucks from making the cast pistons work.

So, stay with me as I'm new to all this: The L2291 pistons are flat top, no?  So according to on-line static compression calculators with the 8554 gasket that would yield about 10.2/1 or so compression.  Do you think that with the iron heads, 91 pump gas, and an appropriate cam I could anticipate a pretty trouble-free cruiser?  Or would this put me into the "maybe-it-will-work sometimes, but knock other times" area? 

Thanks again for taking the time to help out on this, I want to get it right the first time. (Don't we all?  ;D)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2019, 03:09:21 PM »
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies, obviously I'm still sorting it out and will probably make the final choices with my builder.

I had no idea a custom grind was so close in price to off-the-shelf parts.  I figured 2x or 3x more!  Yeah, $65 is pocket change on an FE project...

So, stay with me as I'm new to all this: The L2291 pistons are flat top, no?  So according to on-line static compression calculators with the 8554 gasket that would yield about 10.2/1 or so compression.  Do you think that with the iron heads, 91 pump gas, and an appropriate cam I could anticipate a pretty trouble-free cruiser?  Or would this put me into the "maybe-it-will-work sometimes, but knock other times" area? 

Thanks again for taking the time to help out on this, I want to get it right the first time. (Don't we all?  ;D)

An L2291 is a 10cc piston.  You'd be at around 9.6-9.8 with a 74-72cc head.  You can make it all work together easily, but the cam will be an MVP.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2019, 05:47:22 AM »

Brent hit it on the mark, but with a .053 8554 gasket and zero deck, it's 9.5:1 with 72 cc, use a cam with 270-272 advertised on 106 ICL and it'll be happy on pump gas unless you have mixture or timing set wrong.  Nice mellow combo, the rest of the cam specs will change the personality, but in the end, easy combo to run on the street

Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

plovett

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2019, 06:21:11 AM »
Advertised cam figures can lead you astray so you can't make blanket statements there.  For instance, Crane, Isky, and Compcams all use different lifts for their advertised figures.  They are still worth looking at, but you should be aware.

0.006" for hydraulic cams and 0.020" for solid cams might be as close as we have to a standard, but not every manufacturer uses those numbers.

paulie

Heck, even Compcams uses different lift figures for the advertised duration of their solid cams.   I think their hydraulics are at least all the same?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 06:59:25 AM by plovett »

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2019, 10:26:29 AM »
Advertised cam figures can lead you astray so you can't make blanket statements there.  For instance, Crane, Isky, and Compcams all use different lifts for their advertised figures.  They are still worth looking at, but you should be aware.

0.006" for hydraulic cams and 0.020" for solid cams might be as close as we have to a standard, but not every manufacturer uses those numbers.

paulie

Heck, even Compcams uses different lift figures for the advertised duration of their solid cams.   I think their hydraulics are at least all the same?

Good catch, I am talking .006, but a hydraulic at a greater lift would only be more tolerant, just give up some torque and vacuum.  As far as solids, "generally" lash is pretty close to measured numbers, so it's usually within spitting distance to a .006 number.  Again though, the error is usually in the good way (.020 measured with .027 lash is actually tighter and more tolerant)
Ross

plovett

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2019, 11:42:51 AM »
I am not sure, but just going from memory Crane uses 0.004" and I think (?) Isky uses 0.020" even on their hydraulics?  0.006" is certainly more common.

paulie

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2019, 06:05:04 PM »
I am not sure, but just going from memory Crane uses 0.004" and I think (?) Isky uses 0.020" even on their hydraulics?  0.006" is certainly more common.

paulie
I think Isky uses .007 on hydraulics. not absolutely 100% on that, but that's what I heard.

EDIT: just took a look at my isky master lobe list, it doesn't specify the check height for advertised duration. ::)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 06:07:54 PM by falcongeorge »

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2019, 06:15:37 PM »
Ultradyne was .004, just took a look. Kinda looks like Comp is the odd one out @.006, way to ramp up those hyd intensity numbers on the sly. ;) ::) I have an old Crane master lobe list here somewhere, but I haven't found it yet. Howards is .006 on their master lobe list.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 06:22:01 PM by falcongeorge »

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2019, 06:59:48 AM »
If it's an odd old cam you have on the shelf, measure it at whatever you want to use for a number, otherwise just know what you are buying when you pick it from the catalong

In the end, all likely within the error of a tool that shouldn't be used exclusively for picking a cam (DCR)...especially when someone doesn't degree it or pour all the pieces. 
Ross

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2019, 01:56:02 PM »
Freshened up the 390 in my 67 lane seven or so years back almost identical to what you are describing. It was a budget tight build as well.  Heavy car with stock C6 and open 3.00 rear. Thread is here:

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=735.0

Photobucket wants $$$ now.. I'll need to update the photos. Anyway..

Bottom end .030 with nothing else to write home about but oil mods you can do yourself.  Rebuilt stock cast heads.

Went with the Comp 268H cam kit.. came with correct springs etc. Double roller Ford racing chain & FPA tri-y headers with Dynomax mufflers. Original Streetmaster intake. Added the MSD ignition later. 600cfm holley vacuum secondary carb.

It's a cruiser as well. Fun zone starts over 2800rpm if you are getting on it but peters out fast over 5300rpm or so. Lots of vacuum (over 13 easy) and easy to manage. Nice low rumble.

Here is a video I took just after getting the exhaust done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olhXxOS43lw

Runs great on 91 California blend pump gas.

this is what she looks like now parked behind the all original Trail 50 I tried to swap my buddy for..  ;)

My2c.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 01:58:18 PM by amdscooter »

Riderjeff

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2019, 12:45:04 PM »
Very nice! Exactly what I'm trying to accomplish as well. Glad it's all working out for you, it looks great.

Nice Honda 50, I recently peddled my all-original CL-90 to a collector out of the Midwest.