Author Topic: Head gaskets  (Read 2092 times)

wayne

• View Profile
Head gaskets
« on: September 11, 2019, 01:48:03 PM »
Can you use steel head gaskets with aluminum heads and a iron block.

GerryP

• View Profile
Re: Head gaskets
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 01:57:44 PM »
Steel shim head gaskets?  Sure.  I would encourage you to do some legitimate research on the question before making a decision.  A lot of web sites say "no" due to differences is material expansion and contraction but I don't believe those are informed opinions.  One issue with steel shim gaskets is the RA (surface finish) required for a shim gasket.  Most don't want to bother with this critical requirement.  The requirement exists for a reason.  Other web opinions will favor a MLS gasket over a shim gasket.  I would think that would be a more favorable option due to fewer installation errors that can occur.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 02:02:01 PM »
With all the improvements to today's MLS gaskets, I guess the bigger question is why use old school steelies anyway?
Bob Maag

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 04:14:19 PM »
I used to run them all the time and still have some laying around.With the aluminum heads it can stand a little bump in compression.

67xr7cat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 09:57:02 PM »
The issue is the extra movement of an aluminum head on an iron block and also that the aluminum is softer.  A steel shim can have a harder time sealing over time because of the movement (heat cycling) and can also brinell the aluminum. Only plus for the steel shim is it is cheap and it is thin. If the block has been decked it may be too thin for a shim all depending on where the piston sits.

The factory had a regular shim gasket and a better one used on some 427's (which is thicker too).  Best practice today be cut the deck for put the piston at deck height to .005" below. Then use a .040" Fel pro 1020 head gasket or go with a set of Cometics MLS gaskets and be done with it. If you use the Cometics just make sure finish on the decks are 50 RA or better. I've used them on rougher without issue, but if you are starting from scratch do it right first time.

BTW: if you go with the Cometics may want to check out their top end kit. Is cheaper than buying a set of Cometic head gaskets by themselves and gets you intake, exhaust, distributor, and valve cover gaskets, plus a set of valve seals. PN: PRO1027T  The head gaskets I am told are 4.30" x .040". I ordered this kit so will see first hand, should be here Saturday.

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 08:23:14 AM »
I have a set of 1020 fel pro that i will use thanks for the help every one.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 09:42:59 AM »
With all the improvements to today's MLS gaskets, I guess the bigger question is why use old school steelies anyway?

I ran Cometic the first year with the 393C.  Installed dry, deck finishes set per their specs.  Leaked.  Changed to good old Felpro Performance Blue 1013s, no more issues.

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 11:22:45 AM »
theres a very interesting SAE paper on the effects of increased crevice volume on detonation threshold, good read if you can find it.