Author Topic: Casting lump in intake port  (Read 1965 times)

allrightmike

• View Profile
Casting lump in intake port
« on: August 13, 2019, 12:20:07 PM »
   I am preparing a set of C4AE 3090H heads for street use. My question has to do with the protrusion in the intake port for the rocker oiling position rocker stud. How much of this can be carved away. Should I try to just streamline this or can it be eliminated without losing too much of the thread for the rocker stud? Suggestions would be appreciated.
Mike.

67428GT500

• View Profile
Re: Casting lump in intake port
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 03:13:29 PM »
I have seen a few here cut into water jackets as well as the oil feed.  You can't remove it. The P&P jobs still have the hump for the stud and feed.

-Keith

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 03:36:58 PM »
Most of Ford's FE castings had walls of at least .200", and it should be safe to remove .100" or so if you do it carefully.  I use a small round stone when working around those bumps.  The one you have to watch out for it the oil feed.  Lots of folks used to remove the bump in the other ports, but found that they would leak oil unless you epoxy a stud in place for the rocker arms.  I have flowed probably hundreds of FE heads, and I have found that those bumps don't really hurt flow if you just blend them gently.  Don't remove the hump in the exhaust ports, that is a water passage.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 03:47:57 PM »
Thanks for the info.
Mike.

64PI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 07:37:13 PM »
I've removed the "bump" in the intake port for the rocker stud completely. I just use sealer on the bolt when installing. I've never had a issue.

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 02:08:45 AM »
Same here, the bolt will seep oil into that port unless you put a bit of sealer or use a stud. I have also made the lump into a fin without breaking through and I always remove the lump in the end port completely. It does nothing, no oil or hole inside it.

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 01:05:43 PM »
I've removed the "bump" in the intake port for the rocker stud completely. I just use sealer on the bolt when installing. I've never had a issue.
ditto