Author Topic: Power steering  (Read 1396 times)

69Shakar

• View Profile
Power steering
« on: August 28, 2019, 04:19:51 PM »
Can a Saginaw power steering pump be used in place of the ford Thompson pump with the bendix power steering?

GerryP

• View Profile
Re: Power steering
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 08:09:59 AM »
Sure.  A pump supplies pressure and volume.  If you use a pump that satisfies the needs of the working hydraulics, then it works.

69Shakar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 10:46:37 AM »
What is the difference between the 2 pumps in flow an pressure? I would really hate to start blowing seals in the power steering ram .... and haven’t had any luck trying to find answers . About the only thing I find with Saginaw and power steering is with integrated steering which I can’t use...

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 01:22:45 PM »
Not easy to answer a question of the differences in pump performance due to the "which pump" variable.  In general, Saginaw pumps run about 200psi more maximum pressure than Thompson pumps, so, depending upon which pump you are using, you could have a little less or a little more pressure.  Thompson pumps run minimum of around 650psi, -meaning that a pump will function in a system at that low of a pressure- to a normal operating pressure maximum of 900-to-1,100psi.  Saginaw pumps max out in the 1,000 to 1,200 range.  Regardless, this isn't enough of a difference to kill your seals.

Adjusting pressure in a Thompson pump is a fairly difficult ordeal requiring pump disassembly and a lot of trial and error fiddling.  Adjusting pressure on a Saginaw pump is a matter of replacing the output pressure controller in the output line.  It's not simple, it's just easier than a Ford pump.

If you can, try to find papers published by Jim Shea.  He was the engineer who designed the divorced PS system used on C2-C3 Corvettes and other GM cars from the early '60s through the '80s and is the identical system used on Fords Unibody cars.  His knowledge base is very thorough and he no doubt has published information of the PS pump.