Author Topic: 67 Cyclone Bodel Panel Fitment - Opinions/Advice  (Read 15429 times)

mlcraven

• View Profile
Re: 67 Cyclone Bodel Panel Fitment - Opinions/Advice
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 06:09:50 PM »
Further Cyclone activity has been set aside until the New Year.  Spent last weekend undertaking additional front clip assembly and gap alignment and generally pleased how things are coming together -- back-of-front-fender to front-of-door gaps still need to be tightened up a bit but it's almost there.  Lots of work to get the best fit possible with the Crites hood, for which the end result is now to my satisfaction.  It's a real beggar being obsessively particular about these things, a wonky gene somewhere in the family.

Coming up with a replacement for the bit of aluminum trim that runs across the front lip of the hood promises to be an interesting New Year's project.

2014 will be "the year of the interior", plus attention to a bunch of loose ends.  Target is the second annual FE Reunion in April, although it will very much depend on the demands of work travel in the Jan-Mar period.     

I'll take this opportunity to wish all FE Power Form members a safe and relaxing Holiday Season (and to all you Christians out there like myself, a Merry Christmas too  :) )

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 06:14:41 PM by mlcraven »
Michael

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 09:20:09 AM »
Very nice, but we need a few more side and rear pics too!

Merry Christmas back at yah but also......Happy Festivus!
Bob Maag

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 09:04:39 PM »
Here you go...Festivus!
Michael

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 09:44:06 AM »
Michael,
For that hood molding, there is a repro for the Fairlane available but I'm not sure how close it is to the Comet.  You could check or ask DearbornClassics.com or Autokrafters.com.  Another good source of info is the Fairlane Club - Fairlaneclubofamerica.com which also covers the 66-67 Comets.  I have a 66 Fairlane and bought the repro hood molding some years ago. That molding is made for 66 or 67s.

Happy holiday season to all the FE Forum members!  I've really enjoyed this forum and have learned so much about my all time favorite V8!  Plans for 2014 include a new build...

Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 02:27:59 PM »
Thanks Bruce...I've very much enjoyed looking at the pics of your cars that you've posted.  Orig I was hunting for a Fairlane but after several months searching came across the Cyclone and the rest, as they say, is history.  Always understanding that a 'next' project can't be ruled out, if it comes to that I'm very enthused about the possibility of a 63-64 FE-powered Galaxie -- there seems to be a decent number of them available at fair prices.

Not sure I understand correctly, but have you replaced the complete front end on your Fairlane with a Total Control suspension, or just select components?   
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 02:30:03 PM by mlcraven »
Michael

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013, 07:53:51 PM »
I used Total Control for the struts and sway bar pivots - they are great parts!  The upper arms are NOS and lower arms are good repro.  I also added a 3/4" sway bar and it really helped.  I also got the TC variable rate coils but haven't put them in yet...

Bruce

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2013, 09:48:57 AM »
Forgot to mention; I put the single adjustable Vari-Shocks on too. If I remember correctly they are made by Chris Alston's chassis works. Total Control is a division of theirs.  They are really nice parts too, aluminum body and fit with no issues. I'm running them on step 3 (of 10 I believe!) for plenty of damping of a heavy-ish car...

Bruce

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 09:10:56 PM »
I mentioned back in Dec that this was to be the "year of the interior'.  Also that attending the 2nd annual FE Race and Reunion at Beaver Springs was my deadline target.  Unfortunately, demands of work and life in general scuppered plans for Beaver Springs.  However, on a positive note good progress is being made with the interior.  All panels and upholstery are repaired/refurbished and the new carpet and headliner is in.  Received the vent window frames back from plating about a month ago and reassembled and installed them this week.  All that's left now is to install the door window guts and glass.  Pics of the interior attached:   
Michael

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2014, 09:15:39 PM »
Here a pic with the vent windows installed.  Shout out to Rick and Debbie at R&D Finishing in Elisabethton TN for the restoration and plating work on the frames.
Michael

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2014, 08:12:33 AM »
Michael,
Lookin good. Nice color combo; not many nice Comets out there!

Bruce

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2014, 08:36:07 AM »
Really looking sharp, it's got to feel good getting this close to finished.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2014, 10:29:55 AM »
That white interior looks way cool. They are Not a cheap thing to restore on a cyclone. Very nice car Michael.
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2014, 09:03:43 PM »
Thanks everyone.  It sure feels good to be in the home stretch of the home stretch.  I was able to save some dinero by tackling much of the interior on my own: fixed the cracked dash; repaired split sun visor seams, re-colored the seats, and refurbished the package tray.  Relied on a local Hampton Roads upholstery outfit (Young's)  for the headliner install and to repair split seams on the seats  -- very pleased with their work and prices.  My wife chides me for replacing the steering wheel with the Grant unit; I still have the original (it's in real rough shape) but have misplaced (read lost) the horn cap center section. 
Michael