Author Topic: 66 Fairlane Hardtop gets a birthday  (Read 20702 times)

turbohunter

• View Profile
Re: 66 Fairlane Hardtop gets a birthday
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2020, 06:47:44 PM »
Really, really a beauty.
Congrats
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2020, 09:07:45 AM »
Car looks great.

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2020, 09:14:14 AM »
Great job Andy and a well deserved birthday for the Fairlane!  You have a beautiful home in SA too.  My '66 is also going to get some minor work in the next few months, it's got a water leak coming from somewhere that I need to investigate and also a hood repaint.   
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2020, 11:28:49 AM »
Looks great, Andy! A good fresh paint job makes a huge difference. Along with the engine, the car looks 'new' again.
Although I still can't figure out why you guys drive on the wrong side of the road.  :)
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2020, 01:56:44 PM »
Beautiful...Two thumbs up!

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2020, 05:11:01 PM »
it's got a water leak coming from somewhere that I need to investigate

Don't forget about it! Read post #1 :)

Thanks all. I will add a little more once the valve springs are done & I can rev it again. Loving driving it again. It was really interesting the difference the Sniper made. Just goes to show how much difference there can be in carb set up between engines. For instance my old cam started and idled cold pretty well on the Sniper wizard settings but struggled to start hot. This engine no way. I have had to pull out most of the cold temperature enrichment & it starts pretty good hot.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 05:17:24 PM by 66FAIRLANE »

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2021, 05:55:59 PM »
Well, I have managed to change out the valve springs to 140 on the seat and swap over to my usual oil. I still have some jobs to do. As it has all new mounts engine/trans sits a little higher which means that under power the left exhaust is hitting the trans crossmember. Also the chassis mods mean the handbrake mechanism is compromised so I will make another trans crossmember soon to maximise clearance & fix the handbrake. I also need to get the surge tank/pump out of the engine compartment. On hot days the heat soak into the fuel is terrible & I think I can actually hear it boiling in the tank after a while! I am surprised at how well it goes though. The gear change to second is more violent than before & I have lost a strap from one of my leaf springs which probably does not help. It just goes to show that the previous cam was a bit too large for combination but I do miss the rumpty rump! The only thing different apart from the cam is a zero decking, a light blend of the inlet manifold at head area and removal of a step in the headers. I am guessing this made a significant difference. The headers used to impinge on the top of the port a little less than 1/8". This cant have been good. The Sniper tuning is going well and it runs really good. Just have to dial in cold starts a little better. When I have sorted out a couple of the issues mentioned I will really let it rip.

Pics of spring change & header blend.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 04:43:05 PM by 66FAIRLANE »

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2021, 06:18:33 PM »
Like the size of your diegrinder ;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2021, 12:58:34 AM »
That's a pretty slick idea of using old rockers to make a spring compressor. And you can do 2 at a time without having to put the entire shaft on.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2021, 05:41:33 PM »
The studs are long so can add some extra spacers & get a spring checker in there too if you need to. As per this old thread on it.

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=424.0

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2021, 07:25:21 AM »
Are you going to relocate the surge tank/pump inside the boot? or maybe even under the car behind the diff? I'm still not sure if i should run one or not my new tank dose have good baffles in it and a nice hidden from sight pickup i will have to see how mine goes when my engine is finished. Car looks great too fresh paint dose wonders.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2021, 04:49:01 PM »
It is illegal to have any fuel lines etc inside the boot so it will have to go under behind the diff. Not a lot of room but I am going to have to make it fit. Also lying down is not the greatest as you loose volume. As I am feeding it with another pump I hope it will fill again quickly if the tank pick up becomes uncovered so it may not be an issue. Currently making a new trans crossmember then it will be onto the fuel system.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2021, 07:40:27 PM »
You could also mount that surge tank under the front left fender maybe even use all the same bolt holes.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2021, 08:11:28 PM »
You could also mount that surge tank under the front left fender maybe even use all the same bolt holes.

Yeh, considered that. Just not comfortable with it being that exposed.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2021, 05:47:59 PM »
Well I finally got some clean air for a couple of days to make a new trans cross member as the one that was in there was a modified C4 one and the exhaust tapped it on acceleration. I hugged the floor as much as possible and have gone from under an 1/8th to over an inch clearance on each side which will allow me to remake the exhaust with higher collectors (I like low cars). But that will come later. I also used both bolt holes at the chassis mount to make it more rigid. At least I can now give it the full beans without anything hitting....I just need it to stop raining. I also relocated the surge tank to the rear and ran two brand new fuel lines. Having it horizontal is yet to present an issue.....except when I forgot to re-hook up power to the lift pump....it would stall around right hand corners. But at least I know if I loose the lift pump it will still run enough to get me home.