Author Topic: borgeson power steering in a Mustang/Cougar  (Read 1641 times)

67xr7cat

• View Profile
borgeson power steering in a Mustang/Cougar
« on: September 11, 2019, 10:43:43 PM »
Anyone using the Borgeson PS gearbox in 67-70 Mustang/Cougar with an FE and the Hooker 6114 headers? If so do they clear the box or what modifications did you have to do to make it fit. Thanks, Steve

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
Re: borgeson power steering in a Mustang/Cougar
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 05:21:32 AM »
I looked into that for my mustang. I called them directly. # 8 header tuber has to be rerouted. If its a stick car the Z bar has to be made taller to clear the steering box. A gm style pump is also required. I thought it was to much work myself. I am currently starting to build electric power steering which uses a steering column from a Prius believe it or not. Theres a couple of hundred pages about it at the Vintage Mustang site.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 05:58:29 AM »
A Prius Harry are you going green. :) ;)

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 02:48:13 PM »
never!!!

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 10:25:00 AM »
The 6114 fit,but the forward bolt head on the box needs to have a corner cut back. FPA’s I had to move the engine back about 3/16 of an inch. I did not smash any tubes.
For clutch linkage I sectioned the stock Z bar and added 2 1/4”,put a doubler on it.Then LOWERED the pedal rod end  2 3/8” to get the ratio back to stock.
Lance H

67xr7cat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 07:42:05 PM »
Thank you for the reply. I had thought about doing the electric steering, but have a factory tilt-away steering column so don't want to cut that up.  Sounds like the borgeson is do able with not too much issue. Thank you, Steve