Author Topic: Ready to run 8595 different builder  (Read 3094 times)

turbohunter

• View Profile
Ready to run 8595 different builder
« on: July 15, 2019, 01:07:17 PM »
Anyone know anything more about these than I do?
I emailed the guy this morning. His name is Eric and he’s here in the LA area. He told me these are not refurbished MSD. They ARE manufactured off shore then of coarse told me MSDs are made in Mexico. The manufacturer is the same that does the Jegs stuff. The price is great but I’m a wonderin’.
I asked him to tell me all about him and his company and got pretty cryptic answers.
I’m figuring he doesn’t want to say to much about where they’re built. To bad.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lipstick-Performance-8595-Ready-to-Run-Pro-Billet-Distributor-Ford-FE-V8s-Blue/132510728999?hash=item1eda414327:g:TDEAAOSwSFZaitqy:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!91306!US!-1
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Heo

• View Profile
Re: Ready to run 8595 different builder
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 04:01:15 PM »
Why not run A duraspark?  I trust that more than some
shiny cast out of chinesium billet thingamajing

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 04:18:20 PM »
Looks like the generic Chinese MSD clone everyone sells under they're own name. I have the 385 version of that which came in my 73 F350 dump truck when I bought it. Been fine for the few years I've owned it, but it's got a tired 275hp 460 in it so not exactly a stress test for a distributor. Although it does keep the plugs clean and this thing burns as much oil as it does gas.

Not sure I'd trust one in anything with any HP.

The Duraspark's are solid, just wish there was something off the self, like an MSD, that actually worked and didn't require quite as much time to set up. Until then, I'll keep running Durasparks. I've considered trying a TMeyer but I need to call them and find out what parts they're using in them. I suspect a 4 pin HEI module but I don't know for sure. One of the problems with the Chinese distributors is they often have a non-standard module that you can't get at the corner parts store.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 05:01:57 PM by RustyCrankshaft »

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 04:57:22 PM »
Agree there’s other stuff to run.
Was just curious about these guys.
Always lookin’.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 11:26:07 AM »
Haha, recommended coil output +35,000v.  Dang, mine only does 34,000... 

Coils are rated for capability, output will be no more than what is required to jump the gap. 

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 11:50:05 AM »
Haha, recommended coil output +35,000v.  Dang, mine only does 34,000... 
You better get that looked at :o
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 12:01:45 PM »
It’s interesting to me that you contact someone about their product, obviously interested, and the seller is almost offended that you dare to ask a question. The idea that I have money to spend doesn’t even enter his train of thought.
Meanwhile I contacted Faron and will go that route. I’ve been thinking about longer trips in the wagon and I just can’t get the MSD failure rate out of my head so I’m figuring to go Duraspark as I’m plenty familiar and have the MSD 8595 as a spare around the garage.
Also there has been a cold miss in this system that is annoying me. I found a bad #7 wire and replaced that but I’m not sold on these MSD wires that came on the car.
Little by little you track stuff down.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 12:49:28 PM »
Marc, If road trips are in your future I would recommend a simple Pertronix. In the rare event one fails it is a 10 minute job to swap in a set of points/condenser into your stock distributor. I've run Pertronix for the last 25+ years and only had 2 failures of the 5 cars I own, all have Pertronix. One failure was my fault as I ran a reduced voltage to one. They require a full 12 volts. And yes I do carry a set of points and condenser with a ballast resistor installed and wired to easily switch over just in case.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 01:10:31 PM »
Interesting thought. I’ve run Pertronics before.
What do you worry about with Duraspark?
I’ve had a module go bad before but the system seems pretty simple to me. Could have a spare module just as easy. The dizzy seems pretty bulletproof.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 02:36:51 PM »
It just occurred to me that I was thinking Duraspark II.
The last one I dealt with was on a couple post ‘73 trucks I’ve had so that’s the first one in my memory banks.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 03:03:12 PM »
Interesting thought. I’ve run Pertronics before.
What do you worry about with Duraspark?
I’ve had a module go bad before but the system seems pretty simple to me. Could have a spare module just as easy. The dizzy seems pretty bulletproof.
I have no worries about the Duraspark as I've never ran one. Actually I have a couple of 'em in stock but never had a chance to play with one. The 2 D/S units I have are for 460s and I only have one car powered by a 460 and it too uses a Pertronix.  Ironically that Pertronix was found in a wrecking yard back in the early 90s so I have no idea how old it is or how many miles are on it. It still works perfectly. I like the Pertronix as you can use a  distributor with worn bushing that would normally create timing & dwell problems with a point type ignition, with the Pertronix it doesn't matter. With the D/S you would need to carry a spare module if one goes bad on the road. Points will get you home and are a lot cheaper.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 03:05:57 PM »
I've got a few Duraspark items around here, never had much of an issue with the Ford pickups.  The MSD pickup is about the same but generates a stronger signal. 

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 03:11:20 PM »
I’m thinking anyway you go with Duraspark it’s a hell of a lot cheaper and safer, backup wise.
Thanks for the input guys.
I’ve only had one Mallory box fail in my life but just running an MSD ready to run gives me the willy’s as far as fixing on the road.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 03:23:21 PM »
I carry a backup points distributor in the trunk. That way
i make it home whatever. Buying spare ign parts for a Fe
in Sweden along the road is impossible, be it points,MSD,
Duraspark, Pertronix, Chinesium or whatever. I think even getting
a regular 12V coil today is a combination of good luck and.....
prayers. Reminds me i need to put a coil in the trunk

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 05:44:54 PM »
Some will find this unacceptable, but a cheap backup to a Duraspark module is a 4 pin HEI module. I gutted an old Duraspark II box and mounted the 4 pin inside and used the old housing as a heat sink. Also made it easy because I used the DS pigtails so I could swap back and forth easy.

I talked to Tmeyer and their Duraspark clone has a 4 pin mounted under the cap.

I've used a lot of Pertronix kits too, mostly the II's, flamethrower I's have not been the best for me. The II's have been good, but I haven't used them on anything that makes any real power. 300-400hp stuff. Lots of daily drivers and pickups. The price is right, they're pretty tolerant of a little bushing wear and easily swapable between points and the Pertonix.