Author Topic: 428 Valve Cover Clearance / Brake Booster  (Read 3723 times)

CV355

• View Profile
428 Valve Cover Clearance / Brake Booster
« on: July 15, 2019, 05:24:55 AM »
I am very close to being done with my '69 Mach 1 and getting it on rollers for a dyno carb tune.  I bought some polished sheet metal valve covers, but the concourse brake booster interferes (Should have known).  I am looking for recommendations for a replacement unit that gives the most clearance while still retaining decent braking power.  I have considered under-dash units, but would prefer to keep the brake booster in the typical location.  Does anyone have one that gives tall valve cover clearance without needing notching?  Can you post pictures of your setup?

338Raptor

• Aerodynamics are for men who can’t build engines.
    • View Profile
Re: 428 Valve Cover Clearance / Brake Booster
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 10:51:42 AM »
If you’ve considered under the dash units then it sounds like keeping a concourse OEM appearance is not a major concern. In that case you might consider a slightly smaller diameter booster.  If you go this route (unless your engine builds oodles of vacuum at idle) you will need a vacuum pump. They are relatively inexpensive and will make the smaller booster work well.
Another option is a hydro booster.  They take up even less space but require a power steering pump to power the unit. If you already have power steering the cost is about $700. If you don’t already have PS then that’s a different story. A third option is an early 70’s bronco booster bracket.  They angle the booster/master cylinder toward the drivers fender creating more valve cover room.

But as your post indicates, your best option is to install a valve cover that clears your stock booster. Sorry, I don’t have a suggestion for that.
ERA 427SC Cobra: Iron ‘67 625hp 482” SOHC, TKX 5 speed, TrueTrac 3.31 IRS, Magnesium Halibrands, Avon CR6ZZ tires. 

1969 Shelby GT350, 4 speed.

1967 Mustang Fastback: Close ratio T56 Magnum, Fab-9, Wilwood superlite brakes, Torque arm rear suspension, TCI-IFS with shock tower delete, (Coming soon, FE motor TBD)

1970 F250 4x4 Mud Truck, 557 BBF, as cast P51 heads, 900 hp @6700rpm, 801 tq, Q16, C6.

2012 Cobra Jet Mustang factory drag car, 5.4 liter 4.0 Whipple, 970 RWHP.

1964 Galaxie 500XL, 35 spline 3.70 Strange S-Trac, 6R80, (Coming soon: Pond Aluminum 525 SOHC, 800hp)

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 10:57:25 AM »
If you’ve considered under the dash units then it sounds like keeping a concourse OEM appearance is not a major concern. In that case you might consider a slightly smaller diameter booster.  If you go this route (unless your engine builds oodles of vacuum at idle) you will need a vacuum pump. They are relatively inexpensive and will make the smaller booster work well.
Another option is a hydro booster.  They take up even less space but require a power steering pump to power the unit. If you already have power steering the cost is about $700. If you don’t already have PS then that’s a different story. A third option is an early 70’s bronco booster bracket.  They angle the booster/master cylinder toward the drivers fender creating more valve cover room.

But as your post indicates, your best option is to install a valve cover that clears your stock booster. Sorry, I don’t have a suggestion for that.

Right now, I'm only running a water pump and alternator, so hydro-boost is not really an option.  Smaller diameter will likely work- just curious what other people are running and how much clearance it gives.  I've run manual brakes before and swore I'd never do it again, so I may have to look into a brake vacuum pump. 

Concourse is not critical for me, but I'm trying to stay "period correct" as much as possible. 

338Raptor

• Aerodynamics are for men who can’t build engines.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 01:00:29 PM »
If you decide to use an electric vacuum pump with a smaller diameter booster make sure you buy a quiet one.  Most are really noisy when operating.  “Master Power” and “Leed Brakes” are two companies that I’m aware of that make quiet pumps. I’m sure there are others too.
ERA 427SC Cobra: Iron ‘67 625hp 482” SOHC, TKX 5 speed, TrueTrac 3.31 IRS, Magnesium Halibrands, Avon CR6ZZ tires. 

1969 Shelby GT350, 4 speed.

1967 Mustang Fastback: Close ratio T56 Magnum, Fab-9, Wilwood superlite brakes, Torque arm rear suspension, TCI-IFS with shock tower delete, (Coming soon, FE motor TBD)

1970 F250 4x4 Mud Truck, 557 BBF, as cast P51 heads, 900 hp @6700rpm, 801 tq, Q16, C6.

2012 Cobra Jet Mustang factory drag car, 5.4 liter 4.0 Whipple, 970 RWHP.

1964 Galaxie 500XL, 35 spline 3.70 Strange S-Trac, 6R80, (Coming soon: Pond Aluminum 525 SOHC, 800hp)

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 06:12:40 PM »
Would it be a better Idea to sell the VC's and get some that would clear a brake booster?
Ford CJ covers and 1966 Merc Pentroofs have a facet designed for brake booster clearance.
Just a thought. How about a picture of your VC's? I've got almost every set made for a FE (except Jays yet)
so I could compare.

Richard >>> FERoadster

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 07:13:47 PM »
Did you consider looking at the earlier valve covers factory style covers? They make an cover like the Cobra covers that are just cast and finned. I have the factory cast Cobra 427 on my 67 Shelby. I have end stands and rollers with no issue.
                                                                                        -Keith

fastf67

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 04:32:20 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a71h3DouKA4

check out the size of this booster from Leed brakes.

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 05:22:48 AM »
Hello again,

It's a set of PRW covers:
https://store.prw-usa.com/4039001-ford-fe-1958-76-332-352-390-428-polished-clear-anodized/

I'm going for an all-polished look under the hood.  Deep corporate blue on the block/heads, polished everything else. 

I'm looking at the Wilwood master cylinder set, which looks like the brake booster is about half the length, which should clear these valve covers.  Problem is, I can't think of a way to confirm unless someone has already done it.  I've spent a lot of money buying parts for this car that don't fit because something was modified by the previous owner, or because a big block FE barely fits in a '69 Mustang to begin with.

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 06:02:31 AM »
I think that's about what I got them for.  I have them sitting off to the side in my garage right now.  Tried to install them but the brake booster strikes the cover. 

I'm hoping that the Wilwood booster clears.  I'm finding it hard to get dimensions for the depth of the booster to ensure it fits prior to investing $600 on the kit.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 06:33:53 PM »
You might be able to have a bit of a nibble at it where it interferes and have a new piece tigged in and re-polished.

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 06:55:54 PM »
I have a pair of these polished aluminum supposedly "anodized " valve covers.
If it is anodized you wouldn't know it.  Softest aluminum/finish I have ever seen, breath on it and it scratches.
Buy a quality set if you can.

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 09:07:21 PM »
Have you tried factory aluminum covers yet?  Just a thought. They actually mill off about 6" of the bottom fin for booster clearance from the factory. They also clear my roller rockers with the baffle in them.
                                                                                               -Keith
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 06:51:48 PM by 67428GT500 »

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 06:17:32 AM »
Have you tried factory aluminum covers yet?  Just a thought. They actually mill off about 6" of the bottom fin for booster clearance from the factory. They also clear my roller rockers with the baffle in them.
                                                                                               -Keith

I have the chrome "Power by Ford" valve covers that do fit.  However, they've been hammered to hell over the years and would not seal properly without massive amounts of RTV sealant.  I bought the sheet metal valve covers as a replacement because I'm slowly going for the "polished" mild-restomod look under the hood.  Of course, the weld beads are too close to the bolt holes, and the driver side one doesn't clear the brake booster.  I was planning on changing the brake booster out since I've swapped the rest of the brakes out for Wilwood. 

I have a pair of these polished aluminum supposedly "anodized " valve covers.
If it is anodized you wouldn't know it.  Softest aluminum/finish I have ever seen, breath on it and it scratches.
Buy a quality set if you can.

I did notice the finish was soft...  Problem with anodizing is that it's insanely thin, so while the top few microns are 60+Rc, the immediate material beneath it is still very soft and you can literally "scoop" the ano out.  Works great on thicker details but I never anodize sheet metal for that reason. 

I did a sheet metal intake for my old race car about 10 years ago- mild steel, polished it to an absolute mirror.  It still scratched just by looking at it.

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2019, 09:33:41 AM »
Any suggestions for a smaller diaphragm booster?  Wilwood seems to make a nice one that would match the brakes I just upgraded.  Just curious how much smaller it needs to be to clear since it's not just diameter but also depth.