Author Topic: Garage floor paint...  (Read 5943 times)

338Raptor

• Aerodynamics are for men who can’t build engines.
    • View Profile
Re: Garage floor paint...
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2019, 12:09:53 AM »
I’ve used this stuff and I love it. I’m doing my new shop floor with this in a couple months.

https://www.epoxy-coat.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwzJjrBRBvEiwA867byuQE5PnHCjQfYf31_Qjlj-BMcx4H72_976hqk3oA5DHASSmCUFIzXhoCQFcQAvD_BwE

I’ve also used the Rustoleum 2-part epoxy. The Rustoleum is a good cheaper alternative for smaller areas but it goes down paper thin.  You can see the contours or highs and lows in the concrete surface. The Epoxy-Coat is thick and super tough. It leaves a very thick appearance that fill in all contours and highs and lows.  It looks much more professional.

Like mentioned several times before. Prep is super critical to any floor coating.  Use Muriatic Acid on concrete to etch. And use Alcohol to clean a surface that has old epoxy after removing all loose old coating. 
ERA 427SC Cobra: Iron ‘67 625hp 482” SOHC, TKX 5 speed, TrueTrac 3.31 IRS, Magnesium Halibrands, Avon CR6ZZ tires. 

1969 Shelby GT350, 4 speed.

1967 Mustang Fastback: Close ratio T56 Magnum, Fab-9, Wilwood superlite brakes, Torque arm rear suspension, TCI-IFS with shock tower delete, (Coming soon, FE motor TBD)

1970 F250 4x4 Mud Truck, 557 BBF, as cast P51 heads, 900 hp @6700rpm, 801 tq, Q16, C6.

2012 Cobra Jet Mustang factory drag car, 5.4 liter 4.0 Whipple, 970 RWHP.

1964 Galaxie 500XL, 35 spline 3.70 Strange S-Trac, 6R80, (Coming soon: Pond Aluminum 525 SOHC, 800hp)

64PI

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2019, 06:27:38 AM »
Did you get the primer with it? What about polyurethane?

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 06:31:32 AM »
I used the Rustoleum Epoxy kits from Home Depot.  The key to any of these is surface prep, and the acid packets they give you aren't strong enough in my opinion.  Plus, if your concrete is sealed it's an entirely different level of prepwork required.  My father used a Rustoleum kit and it lasted about 6 years before little flakes started coming up from hot tire pickup in the summer.  I did mine in early 2016 and haven't had any flaking. 

Here's what I did:

2x muriatic acid etch
2x full wash down
Thorough drying
1x Epoxy coat, thin
Waited 24 hours
1x Epoxy coat, thick w/ flakes
Waited 24 hours
2x clear top coat (make sure it is compatible with epoxy!)

The top coats really did the trick by sealing in around the edges of the flakes so there isnt an opportunity to pull them up.  If I could do it over again, I'd go with Polycuramine instead of Epoxy.  When I eventually build a detached garage, the entire floor will be polycuramine.

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2019, 09:10:54 AM »
I didn't get my floor epoxied when new and now there is too much "stuff" in the way to do it now. BUT what does help is clean sweep sweeping compound. You sprinkle it on the floor before sweeping and it helps a lot. It keeps the dust from flying and the area you sweep is cleaner. Jim