Author Topic: Clutch and pressure plate removal  (Read 943 times)

Pentroof

• View Profile
Clutch and pressure plate removal
« on: July 08, 2019, 07:33:02 AM »
The McLeod clutch I installed 13 years ago has started chattering. Time for something new, but haven’t decided yet...wanted to pull everything and see if I’m going for a flywheel too.

Anyway, when I installed this, I seem to remember plastic pieces had to be removed from under the arms (Borg & Beck style) after the pressure plate was mounted. That only occurred to me after I started to loosen and remove the bolts. With half of the bolts out and the others loosened, I realized there was still a lot of force on those bolts. I assumed after a couple threads, the pressure would be off. I guess I’m too used to stock setups. The bolts aren’t very long, either.

It was getting late anyway, so I tightened everything back down and walked away. Do I need to add some spacers back under the arms to remove the load, or can I replace half the bolts with longer ones and relive the pressure on the way out?
Jim

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Re: Clutch and pressure plate removal
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 08:39:54 AM »
I've seen those little spacers that hold the levers down some.  I've never used them myself at any time removing a clutch.

Most typical pressure plate bolts should be long enough to not need them.  If you do, that's fine.

I recall when I put the motor in my Mack, I had the clutch rebuilt and they had shims under the levers also.
Larry