Author Topic: Who Owns Bear Block Motors  (Read 7769 times)

427HISS

• View Profile
Who Owns Bear Block Motors
« on: July 02, 2019, 09:37:22 PM »
Anyone know ?

How much are they're blocks now ?

mike7570

Re: Who Owns Bear Block Motors
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 12:38:34 AM »
Mine was over $4,200 with California sales tax.

mn67

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 07:46:11 AM »
Paid $3875 in Jan
1971 Maverick Grabber

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 09:01:28 AM »
Is that for the aluminum ?
What's the iron cost ?
Why no prices on his website ?

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 10:38:14 AM »
With tariffs on steel and aluminum that change at our presidents whim, the prices for raw steel and aluminum have fluctuated a lot lately, literally by the hour in some cases.  I wouldn't want to put prices for heavy castings on my website that lock myself into a given price right now.  That seems like a good way to lose money quickly.  I am sure they are also working hard on re-organizing their supply chains, just like everyone else in the casting business right now.  Just to much variability to lock prices down right now.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 10:40:05 AM by FrozenMerc »

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 10:51:12 AM »
With tariffs on steel and aluminum that change at our presidents whim, the prices for raw steel and aluminum have fluctuated a lot lately, literally by the hour in some cases.  I wouldn't want to put prices for heavy castings on my website that lock myself into a given price right now.  That seems like a good way to lose money quickly.  I am sure they are also working hard on re-organizing their supply chains, just like everyone else in the casting business right now.  Just to much variability to lock prices down right now.

The price fluctuation in aluminum is statistically insignificant and is in fact slightly cheaper today than it was at the first of the year:  http://www.infomine.com/investment/metal-prices/aluminum/  Year-over-year, aluminum has been very stable.  Look at the five-year chart.  Some peaks there, but unless you are building big items, the cost difference isn't significant.

mn67

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 10:57:15 AM »
427HISS, That was for an Iron block.
1971 Maverick Grabber

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 11:20:57 AM »
The price fluctuation in aluminum is statistically insignificant and is in fact slightly cheaper today than it was at the first of the year:  http://www.infomine.com/investment/metal-prices/aluminum/  Year-over-year, aluminum has been very stable.  Look at the five-year chart.  Some peaks there, but unless you are building big items, the cost difference isn't significant.

Not saying you are wrong but there is more to it then what this graph shows. The graph looks wrong by about .18/Lb first off based on yesterdays close and today's open.  At least in the west Aluminum is supposed to be traded on the LME.  There are a lot of variables, like what type, what form, but like I said, the graph appears skewed a little vs. our numbers and for us in the USA a major price adder is missing.  The mid-west premium is not added.  This geographical adder is added to all sales.  That adder has fluctuated from .06/Lb upwards of .20/Lb in the past decade...I know of a .14/lb adder in the past 3 years.  So based on a range of .98-1.35 lb I would consider that a huge swing- over 35%.
Now what rules China plays by? Who knows, but what I do know, is that if production was here, and the supply of raw material then pricing would definitely change and quite rapidly even without tariffs.  I know today our July Aluminum is around .99-No MW Adder.  There are also fab costs but that is a by supplier/stock add in.

Even steel has moved pretty crazy the past 3-4 years.

I would think smart companies have some room built into their price but it can be very tough based on how you handle inventory/sales/etc.

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 11:32:18 AM »
Not saying you are wrong but there is more to it then what this graph shows. ..

Commodities markets (oil, pork bellies, rubber or whatever) are by their very nature volatile.  Every commodity has its peculiarities when it comes to exactly what it is being offered and what happens in the process of delivery.  Spot prices do give you insight into the basics, but, yes, they don't define the actual "as delivered" product.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 12:28:29 PM »
I'm not a market analyst, but I know the steel market is way off kilter from 10 yrs back.  We have a hard time getting 4140ht rounds at work.  What was always in stock is now weeks out(no one carries a large inventory anymore).   That same basic material is used to make bimetallic liners.  Those suppliers are quoting 30 weeks!!!!!  Yes, 6 months, compared to 3-4 weeks just a few years ago.

Or vendors never give us "common size' pricing anymore like they used to.  Every piece is priced when called.
Larry

cj428cj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 12:40:48 PM »
I paid $3995 in November but that was purchasing through an engine builder rather than directly from BBM.

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 03:11:30 PM »
Doug is pretty sure that the cost will fluctuate, so posting pricing is hard to do. Th BBM blocks are cast at Hyundai Heavy Industries, and he is never really sure of the final costs until the blocks arrive in port. As far as I know, no tariffs on these South Korean made blocks.

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 05:47:01 PM »
Anyone have a BBM block that you want to give away ? 

CDXXVII

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2019, 05:56:22 PM »
Move politics over to Non-Fe Discussion page.

olman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2019, 06:03:57 PM »

NO!  It would be more fun here!
1963 1/2 Galaxie 500Xl 428 4 speed