Author Topic: Thanks BP  (Read 1884 times)

BruceS

• View Profile
Thanks BP
« on: June 26, 2019, 02:54:07 PM »
I want to thank Blair Patrick for the excellent job building and after-sales advise on the 482 for my Galaxie.  I had a couple of VC leaks due to some warpage but was able to seal them up.  I wanted a mild build with some punch and to be able to run all the original power accessories.  It also needs to stay cool with the AC running here in southeast Texas in the summer.
To borrow from old Ford ad copy, what we have here is "an old rough, tough 427 forced into a shirt and tie!"     

Some Notes:
Hot idle rpm: 750
Oil press cold: 75 psi
Oil press @ hot idle: 25 psi (VR-1 30W)

Timing: 32 deg. @ 3000 rpm

Vacuum @ hot idle: 20 in.
No temp issues; stable w/ 180 deg. thermostat.  I'm currently using the original dash gauge, but I plan to install an actual calibrated gauge.   

63 Gal by BRUCE SELBY, on Flickr

482 Install2 by BRUCE SELBY, on Flickr

482 Install by BRUCE SELBY, on Flickr   
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

mbrunson427

• View Profile
Re: Thanks BP
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 04:40:14 PM »
very cool! Super nice job detailing the engine compartment. I hope mine turns out that nice.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 10:59:51 PM »
Very nice install Bruce. I thought you had a 2x4 intake?
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 07:50:04 AM »
That car looks very nice , and it is good you tell about good experiences that come from some of the best FE builders in our group, owning a shop is very hard work and some times all works very well way to go Blair. Leny Mason

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 08:18:00 AM »
Matt, from your posts it looks like your '62 is going to be a real showstopper and with a girlfriend who does the polishing!  :D

John, I did consider the 8V setup for Wow factor but after discussion with BP decided on the Ed Performer RPM.  The throttle / trans kickdown "birdcage" is in the right place and all the stock linkage clears.  With BP or Drew setting up the carbs on an 8V I don't think tuning would be a concern though.

Leny, I wanted someone who really knew FEs after some previous experiences.  Seeing BPs work on this forum led me to him.  After discussing my project with him I was convinced he was the man for the job. 

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 10:38:30 AM »
Thanks Bruce. Blair is actually churning away on my engine right now. 428 Stroker. Sound like we have similar stories, I started thinking I was going to install a 3x2 setup and realized for less money I could have more performance out of the edelbrock RPM, and I can make it look pretty dang stock. I don't have any power accessories at all so mine will have a lumpier cam. I challenged Blair to make it run hard with factory iron heads, we'll see what he comes up with.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 11:59:59 AM »
Matt, I started out with a March '68 bare block so BP leaned towards the BBMs.  However I think he has a few tricks up his sleeve for the iron heads from his work with NHRA Stock and SS racing.