Author Topic: Experiences In Swapping Used Gears Into Different Housings?  (Read 1730 times)

chris401

Any experiences on swapping used gears from one housing to another? If so do you treat them just like a new set? I have not swapped used gears around due to possible noise, seems like a gamble. Parts in question are gears from Dana 60 to Dana 60.
Thanks
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 09:07:33 AM by chris401 »

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
Re: Experiences In Swapping Used Gears Into Different Housings?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 09:10:01 AM »
You'd need to know the pinion depth to do that correct setup, or at least run a pattern on the donor before removing the gears that you can duplicate in the new housing.

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: Experiences In Swapping Used Gears Into Different Carriers?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 09:10:25 AM »
Yes you can but...

One must spend a lot of time with gear marking fluid, have a lot of shims handy and get the near-exact wear pattern locked into the old gears in the new (different) carrier. It can be frustrating for sure. Btw, we've done this with grocery-getter low powered cars and junkyard stuff long ago but not with performance oriented cars.
Bob Maag

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 09:23:02 AM »
Doing one right now for a Camaro 4.33 to 4.11 used gear swap … I start with the all shims that are with the Housing in use , run a pattern and adjust from there . I can usually press a pinion bearing off and on a couple times before the bearing needs replaced again and if it's set up good and the gears are good they are usually quiet … After the Camaro I have a Yukon to repair noise on somebody else's gear change on the rear
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 09:25:09 AM by e philpott »

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 09:50:15 AM »
   Chris,
       "Dana" factory gears are usually marked with a number  i.e.  "0" +1,-1,+2,-2,etc. That refers to the change required from the "base shim". So if I have a +1 gear and a .029 shim, that carrier would use a .028 on a zero gear. If the other is a +3 and the shim is a .032 "that" carrier would use a .029 for a zero gear. If you aren't working with genuine Dana gears , that all goes out the window and you have to revert to the pinion depth method. A Dana is one of the most time consuming and frustrating styles I had to deal with when I did them professionally.
   Randy

chris401

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 11:44:39 AM »
Sounds like too much of an agrivation to be doing on my daily driver. I will keep the genuine gears in mind, I was thinking the Sterling parts were marked but maybe both. I have an open 70 to slide in while I work over the original 60.
Thanks

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 02:12:44 PM »
They are tougher to set up compared to Ford 9 incher but much easier than setting up a Chevy 12 or 10 bolt , the Chevy's use shims to adjust back lash ( PIA ) while the Dana has a threaded Adjusting collar for back lash , all you only have to worry about is pressing off/on the pinion bearing a few times to get pinion depth right

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 03:44:23 PM »
   Chris,
       "Dana" factory gears are usually marked with a number  i.e.  "0" +1,-1,+2,-2,etc. That refers to the change required from the "base shim". So if I have a +1 gear and a .029 shim, that carrier would use a .028 on a zero gear. If the other is a +3 and the shim is a .032 "that" carrier would use a .029 for a zero gear. If you aren't working with genuine Dana gears , that all goes out the window and you have to revert to the pinion depth method. A Dana is one of the most time consuming and frustrating styles I had to deal with when I did them professionally.
   Randy

Yes the Dana's are a PITA! Gary Brown, noted Midwest racer of yore, did mine (5:38's in my BBC '69 Camaro Unit Stock B car) long ago. His trick was to use a new pinion bearing honed out for a tight, yet slip fit, for checking. Once 'right', he pressed on another brand new bearing and voila!. Guess he did enough of they he knew what he was doing. Btw, prior to swapping in the Dana 60, I replaced blown 12-bolt Chevy gears way too many times in the first 3 seasons of racing to count. A bigger pain for sure! 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 07:42:21 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 04:48:32 PM »
They are tougher to set up compared to Ford 9 incher but much easier than setting up a Chevy 12 or 10 bolt , the Chevy's use shims to adjust back lash ( PIA ) while the Dana has a threaded Adjusting collar for back lash , all you only have to worry about is pressing off/on the pinion bearing a few times to get pinion depth right

I don't remember that on a Dana 60. I DO remember having to use a case spreader to get the carrier out. Sure you aren't thinking of a 14 bolt GM? That is one of the easiest diffs to do. No threads in the caps , sleeves that thread out from the axle tubes and a 6 bolt removable ( like a 9" Ford) pinion retainer that uses shims like the Ford does.
    Randy

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 08:09:42 PM »
I have probably done more used gears in my life than new. Most aftermarket gear sets will have the pinion depth etched on the end of the pinion, good starting point. Gear marking lead is your friend here, and yes, its tedious work.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 09:20:59 PM »
 Randy the last Dana I did was in a 1965 Olds 442 with a back half and it was a real nice install probably 5 or 6 years ago and had threaded adjusters  , I do a bunch of GM stuff ( because I live on the bad side of town, lol ) the 1974 Camaro today is Drag car I changed gear from 4.33 to 4.11 and converted it to solid spacer no Crush sleeve and it already had C clip eliminator . I really don’t like the spreaders and would rather use my plastic mallet for feel of the side bearings preload during the carrier install and we pry out with a ring gear bolt on the stubborn carrier’s