Author Topic: Brought home a new "Farm Find"  (Read 2082 times)

64PI

• View Profile
Brought home a new "Farm Find"
« on: June 20, 2019, 05:46:36 AM »
My cousin has decided she is going to sell off her old family farm and parked for approx 40 years behind the main barn was this... A  1952 F6 V8 Mercury flathead dump truck( missing the dump box but still has the hydraulics). 16,000# GVW, 4 speed, 2 speed rear 5.83/8.11 and PTO driven hydraulics. 

Her grandfather bought it new and it came out of the Buffalo, NY Ford plant. She said it's mine if I can get it before the junk man gets to it. A couple phone calls later to some very helpful friends that work for beer and food. Several hours later we had the ol' girl home.  My one buddy noticed the Allstate Reman tag so we checked the oil and it looked like it was just poured in. So we decided to put a breaker bar on the front and see if she turns. No hang ups or catches and spun nice. So in goes a battery and some fresh gas in the bowl of the Ford 94. Filed the points. Hit the key and cranked it over about a dozen times and the old flathead lit! I was impressed. Next step is working on the fuel supply and getting new tires for the front and replacing the split rims. I'd like to find a newer rim that will fit the bolt pattern. I've got a soft spot for these old big trucks.  Now if I can only get her to come off the '65 fastback Mustang 289 auto in the barn....

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 05:49:08 AM by 64PI »

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Brought home a new "Farm Find"
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 07:19:49 AM »
Cool! As long as the valves or pistons aren't stuck, a flathead will run! No timing chain or hydraulic lifters to worry about. Hopefully the rebuild included replacing the fiber cam gear. Neat truck though!
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 08:44:57 AM »
Pretty cool.   Be a neat project to tinker with.
Local friend has a tandem drive version of such.  Looks about the same patina.
Larry

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 01:51:16 PM »
I like it, not sure on the Mercury part, it has all the Ford emblems. I think that 5 lug pattern is used on later trucks, probably are single piece wheels available and if not they can be made by welding those centers into later 19.5 or 20" rims.

She still has a 65 fastback.... any pictures of this cousin?

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 05:40:45 PM »
I think that 5 lug pattern is used on later trucks, probably are single piece wheels available and if not they can be made by welding those centers into later 19.5 or 20" rims.

This ^^ would be the way to go, retains the right "look".

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 06:55:14 PM »
Get on the Ford truck enthusiast  forum, go to the older 1948-56 sight and ask about what wheels will fit the F6. Lot of info there.

chris401

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 07:11:52 PM »
I have a set of tubeless 22.5” wheels. PM sent.

64PI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 05:05:58 AM »
It has Merc  heads on it. I haven't checked the stroke yet so it could just be a rebuilt flathead with Merc heads. Who knows what Allstate did back in the day for Reman engines. I wonder what year Ford did away with the splits and went to a one piece rim set up.

And here's some pictures of the fastback...

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 05:22:52 AM »
Split rims were around for many yrs into the late 60s- early 70s. The one piece were options beginning in 56. Your truck has the 5 lug rims and I`m inclined to think they will be really hard to find solid rims. You said the truck was assembled in Buffalo. Is that where you have it near now? 

64PI

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 05:48:53 AM »
I'm located 25 min north of Syracuse, NY.

garyv

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 07:15:16 AM »
Glad to see you save this old truck.  These were great vehicles and those flatheads will run forever with just a little
TLC.
I hauled in a 1950 F3 last fall and it's in great shape for something its age. Needs some repair on the lower fenders and a new floor in the
bed but everything else on it is in pretty good shape.  The original engine was gone but I have a 1950 226H flathead 6 that runs great to go in it.
Hard to pass up one of these when you can find one in decent shape.
Wheels for some of these trucks can be an issue because of he split rims.  There are some old Dodge motor home wheels that will fit them and some old schools bus wheels work also.
Enjoy your new find

garyv