Author Topic: Tasca Ford KR-8 Mustang.....  (Read 6762 times)

427Fastback

• View Profile
Re: Tasca Ford KR-8 Mustang.....
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2019, 12:10:00 PM »
No A/C on that car.Plug for the hoses hasn't been punched out of the rad cradle...Maybe the Grande got hood insulation in 69.I have a 69 SCJ here that doesn't have it....Non the less....Very cool car
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2019, 12:18:46 AM »
No AC on that car, and no deadener in '69, not even on the Grande or 6 cylinder cars. The hoods center depression to clear the air cleaners would have made it difficult to even use. Pretty sure the first year that got deadener was in '74, with the Mustang II.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2019, 10:41:24 AM »
Look at that big Positive cable on the starter solenoid . Ford should have made about 100 Tunnel port Mustangs to make legal in NHRA Stock

That has the large cable because it's a trunk mounted battery.

Which makes me wonder why Ford didn't move the solenoid back to the trunk.  Somewhat less voltage drop and no hot cable running the full length of the car.

C8OZ

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2019, 10:50:58 AM »
Look at that big Positive cable on the starter solenoid . Ford should have made about 100 Tunnel port Mustangs to make legal in NHRA Stock

That has the large cable because it's a trunk mounted battery.

Which makes me wonder why Ford didn't move the solenoid back to the trunk.  Somewhat less voltage drop and no hot cable running the full length of the car.
I've wondered. I suspect the total weight of adequate starter cable PLUS the additional charging, dash feed, etc. eventually outweighs the gain.
The Boss 429 cars kept this same setup into 70, too.

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2019, 01:58:56 PM »
Was there any throttle progression on those carbs or 8 bbls. opening all the time when cruising?
With a center squirtter even some progression would have accel shot fuel puddling on closed secondary plates which wouldn't be to great for clean running at part throttle.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2019, 10:55:33 AM »
427LX 
      The linkage in the KR8 picture on the first page of this thread is not progressive. Yes the cam operated secondaries were were progressive. There was a problem initially with fuel puddling on the secondary butterflies but the ever creative Holley engineer Harold Droste drilled a passage in the base plate( above the "closed" butterflies) that allowed the fuel buildup to "dump" into the primary side. Being above the butterflies it eliminated an air leak when the butterflies were closed and had no effect when they were open. I have several of these prototype carbs that are done that way.
    Randy

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2019, 01:23:17 PM »
427LX 
      The linkage in the KR8 picture on the first page of this thread is not progressive. Yes the cam operated secondaries were were progressive. There was a problem initially with fuel puddling on the secondary butterflies but the ever creative Holley engineer Harold Droste drilled a passage in the base plate( above the "closed" butterflies) that allowed the fuel buildup to "dump" into the primary side. Being above the butterflies it eliminated an air leak when the butterflies were closed and had no effect when they were open. I have several of these prototype carbs that are done that way.
    Randy
That's a really cool idea that could be transferred over to the 660's. Randy, would it be possible to post a pic of one of those baseplates?

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2019, 03:56:53 PM »
   I am photo challenged and not "smart" enough to own a smart phone , no kids either. It is 3/16ths and was done with a long shank drill from the secondary side toward the primary side so there is a slight down angle. Try a piece of brake tubing and you will be able to see how it was done. I thought about making an angle plate for my drill press as some of min do not have this later revision. "I" feel since I can't ask Harold (rip) it also held create a slight pull on the boosters to eliminate any potential bog as the squirt shot would be less than that of a "double pumper."
    Maybe Drew can post a picture as he has some too.
     Randy

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2019, 05:27:37 PM »
   I am photo challenged and not "smart" enough to own a smart phone , no kids either. It is 3/16ths and was done with a long shank drill from the secondary side toward the primary side so there is a slight down angle. Try a piece of brake tubing and you will be able to see how it was done. I thought about making an angle plate for my drill press as some of min do not have this later revision. "I" feel since I can't ask Harold (rip) it also held create a slight pull on the boosters to eliminate any potential bog as the squirt shot would be less than that of a "double pumper."
    Maybe Drew can post a picture as he has some too.
     Randy
Thanks Randy, I'll take a look at one of my 660's and figure out how to add it. I assume it exits below the throttle plates on the primary side? It would circumvent any need to drill an idle air bypass in primary side throttle plates too. And I think you mean you ARE smart enough NOT to own a "smart" phone.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 05:30:58 PM by falcongeorge »

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2019, 09:42:27 AM »
     The "passage" is ABOVE the plates on both sides . Otherwise you would idle way too high. It only comes into play when the throttle is "cracked" a bit past idle and up to the point the "cam" begins to open the secondaries. That is when the center squirter is dumping fuel onto the closed secondary plates at the same time it is spraying the primary. The later double pumper eliminated all that .

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2019, 01:41:42 PM »
     The "passage" is ABOVE the plates on both sides . Otherwise you would idle way too high.

if you drilled it so it exited below the primary throttle plates the idle would probably be on the high side(depending on valve timing) if you made it 3/16, but if you made it smaller like 3/32, and didn't drill idle air bypass holes in the primary side throttle plates, you could kill two birds with one stone, it could take the place of the idle air bypass holes that you usually need (with a bigger cam) to keep the throttle plates down out of the transfer slots at idle, and also bypass the fuel that commonly collects on the secondary throttle plates at part throttle with center squirters. That's my thinking anyway.

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2019, 02:44:43 PM »
gt350hr...thanks for that info on those carbs! I don't think anything was mentioned about these carbs in any of the magazines or Ford Racing info back in the 67-68 time frame.

On my custom setup using the Holley 660 4224 carb on a dual quad setup... I run a 650 CFM carb with vac. secondary as
the primary cruising  carb and at 40% throttle travel the linkage starts to open the rear 660.
The front carb's Vac. Secondary with white spring then opens up about same time the 660 is full open.

Works extremely well in my 3000 lb. 1985 Mustang LX with the 427 Windsor.
Must mention that the 660 was recalibrated to same fuel curve as the 650 and uses a power valve.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2019, 10:05:53 AM »
  I am familiar with your build and enjoy what you've done. I was considering following your lead and going that way on my '67 Ranchero 408W but have since built a dual quad 521 ( 460 style) for it. Have yet to install it. More weight and bulk but 600 easy , trouble free HP. I'm using original BC/BD carbs with vacuum secondaries.
    Randy

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2019, 07:56:01 PM »
Now that sounds like a cool build? Blue Thunder intake by any chance?

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2019, 10:58:04 AM »
   Yes. The small one with the upper portion of the port matched to the early aluminum CJ heads.