Author Topic: Not such a good day at the races...  (Read 2210 times)

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Not such a good day at the races...
« on: June 23, 2019, 08:37:59 AM »
Got the car unloaded yesterday and was doing my typical checklist.  Got the hood opened and check carbs, belts, oil..............um, oil.  Um, uh oh.   Hmmm, the oil doesn't look right.   Groan, started to make milkshakes.  :o   WTH?  It was fine a couple weeks back at the last race(at least "before" the last race).  I red lit my first round away, so it was a very short day.  I'm thinking maybe someone was looking over me for doing that?

The motor is on the 6th season already and it started with 34 pulls on the dyno.  All I've done to it is change the oil in the spring.  Haven't had the valve covers off in a few years.  I don't even check lash in the spring anymore(why?  It NEVER changes).

I thought maybe with all the rain lately it got some moisture, so I fired it up and warmed it slightly to no change.  I was done for the day.  Thought maybe it was intake gaskets, but after talking to the shop, my records show I put Cometic intake and head gaskets on it.  I tried snugging the intake bolts, but they were still very tight.  I removed radiator cap and fired it up, yup, got bubbles in the water.  Head gasket time.

I'll just guesstimate something around 450+ passes, it finally needs some attention.  I've got the front end off the black car finishing up the brakes, so that is todays project.  Then I can get the wagon in and get the heads off this week.  I've got 2 weeks to the next race so it's not a big deal right now.  With no large pending issues I think I should be bolting the heads back on next weekend.

Time will tell.
Larry

427LX

• View Profile
Re: Not such a good day at the races...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 09:02:43 AM »
I would pull all plugs and do a compression check to identify particular cylinders first.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 09:53:00 AM »
Bummer

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 10:07:14 AM »
Larry know you know how I felt when I fired the 63 up and found milkshake. Mine seems to be the intake gaskets. O ya I got the dirty idle stickers and made a big hit around here. Even fooled the local Dodge dealer believing they have to check all the early Dodge diesels have to be certified!

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 12:11:40 PM »
Definitely doing some investigating first.  I hoped it was intake, but the bubbles in the water led me away from some that simple.
Larry

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 02:23:53 PM »
It's hard to believe a Cometic head gasket would let go but who knows. Hope the block is ok. Dang it.
Kevin McCullah

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 05:55:14 PM »
Warmed it up, did compression test. All 180 ish.  #1 plug looks kinda chalky-ish.  Others just more normal.  Will start tear down tomorrow.  Will be checking head torque as I go and see if I had a fastener loosen??
Larry

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 09:01:48 AM »
It's hard to believe a Cometic head gasket would let go but who knows. Hope the block is ok. Dang it.

I bought a set of Cometic for the dragster engine.  Deck and aluminum heads prepped per their specs.  Leaked like hell.  Ran it for a while and on tear down even had stains in the cylinders from water.  Replaced with a set of regular 1013 Felpro performance gaskets and zero issues in the last two years. 

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 10:49:35 AM »
Shop has told me that 1020's would last 250-300 runs and start to leak(as per history past).  Never had issues, as back then I would go through the engine every couple seasons.  Guess I had money to burn back then?  Or thing were MUCH cheaper?(likely). 

I got plenty of "deer in the headlight" looks from racers when I told them I had 6 seasons on it.  I literally have not even check valve lash in 3 years.  Check oil every weekend and run'r!  ;)
Larry

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 10:57:43 AM »
That's why engine builders don't make a lot of money off of bracket racers.  The engines last for forever. 

I had a 347 that went 8 years and would have went longer but for some reason a power valve let go and he didn't catch it.  Washed the cylinders down and started getting blow-by. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 01:17:37 PM »
That's why engine builders don't make a lot of money off of bracket racers.  The engines last for forever. 

LOL, truth.  3000+ passes on the 351C built in 2006, backup 302 built in 1996, etc.  If I had more $ you'd get more business, I promise.  Next time I win Super Pro...