Author Topic: Dual Quads and Power Valves  (Read 1092 times)

Thumperbird

• View Profile
Dual Quads and Power Valves
« on: July 16, 2019, 01:23:41 PM »
Am I getting this right? (in theory)

It seems to me that dual quads set up in sync and opposed to sequencial will cause a more significant initial drop in manifold vacuum even for light and modest acceleration.  Lot's more velocity on a synchronous setup by the time the second carb comes in at higher acceleration.

Power valve vacuum setpoint in a synchronous setup most likely needs to be dropped a bit to avoid an overly rich mild/moderate acceleration?

I have a great A/F for idle and cruise right now, albeit with a pretty large IAB and HSAB but am still running rich under mild/moderate acceleration and see some A/F bouncing.  I know the large bleeds can cause lazy transition which I see with a brief lean tip in but bleed changes were easier to play with initially here as compared to reducing main jetting.

I need to profile my vacuum under various conditions to see where things are really at just sanity checking my logic.

Thanks.

Thumperbird

• View Profile
Re: Dual Quads and Power Valves
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 06:41:54 PM »
Ok well forget that first post, even if correct in theory, not my deal.
With a fairly significant throttle input say 1/2, vacuum does drop enough where I can feel the engine go even more rich so I may need to drop pv or restriction but I'm too rich long before that at moderate acceleration, need to fix that first.
Cruise and light accel. are very nice, get near and over 3000 rpms while accelerating and things get rich fast, need to fix that first.  Vacuum is always north of 11 or 12 at that light/moderate accel..  Time to take the big main jets out I guess, increasing idle and HSAB helped but not enough I guess.   

falcongeorge

• View Profile
Re: Dual Quads and Power Valves
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 06:48:39 PM »
restrict the transition slot. 8-32 brass set screws drilled with number drills, this photo is for a single four set-up, considering that a 2x4 has double the transition slots, you are going to end up smaller than .081, so don't use that as a recommendation. Ultimately, the best way to do this is with a wide-range lambda and a data logger. This doesn't have to be huge money, I have an older Innovate LM-1 and an RPM logger I bought used, and a lap-top my wife threw out because it didn't have enough processing power to use on the internet anymore. I am into the whole deal for less than $200 CDN.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 06:50:44 PM by falcongeorge »