Author Topic: machine shop cant align bore block  (Read 10362 times)

gregaba

• View Profile
Re: machine shop cant align bore block
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2019, 05:56:43 PM »
Hi Keith
Thanks for the offer on the main caps. I would buy them but am concerned with how long they would last on a street motor. I will put about 10,000 miles a year on the car judging by my past usage.
I talked to Tim Meyer  about an hour ago and committed to a set of his reproduction main caps.
I like his ideal of not drilling the side of the caps so you can use them as a 2 bolt with the option of making them into a 4 bolt.
No price yet and will have to wait about 60 or more days for them to be in production.
I have decided to use Charles Machine shop in Arlington Tx. but won't need to contact him until The caps are in hand.
I want to thank everyone for their help on this and may be I won't have to replace the block and I can save my 406 for the next project.
Greg

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2019, 07:24:39 PM »
Now worries at all, just wanted to let you know they were available.  Good luck to you on your build. I'm hoping someone comes up with a #5 program cap. They were pricey but I shoulda got one when I had the chance. I have a couple sets of 1-4, (not for sale lol).
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2019, 07:43:21 PM »
Thanks for the good wishes. I am not worried about the build. I do quit a few every year but this is the first FE for me in about 25 years.
I wish I knew what I have forgotten about these engines.
When I was looking on the net the Pro Gram #5 cat was $465.00 but nobody had them or any of the other Pro Grams in stock.
Greg

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2019, 07:48:50 PM »
Greg:
When I get this on the stand and the bag off of it I'll shoot you some pictures.

-Keith

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2019, 07:53:36 PM »
Great
Looking forward to the pictures.
Greg

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2019, 07:58:33 PM »
that is no joke about all the old fe guys running machine shops are about gone.just recently a local machine shop in bristol tn shut down.s&g machine shops Larry Sneed has been the go to guy for fe stuff in this area since the 70s.im wanting to take my bbm heads for some work but i have no idea who to trust with them.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2019, 08:06:02 PM »
That is the truth.
We used to have machine shops in every small town here in Oklahoma but now if you don't drive a Chevy then nobody can work on it.
I have the same problem on my new heads I need to get prepped.
I will see how that shop in Tx. does with my block and if the work is good I will let them do my heads and balance my assembly.
Greg

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2019, 08:41:55 PM »
My machinist just recently passed. His estranged daughter ended up with everything and guys are having a hard time trying to get there stuff back. Shes being a real bi**h and wont communicate with anyone. I have a torque plate over there I cant get back cause I cant prove its mine. Other guys have heads and short blocks and such. It's a mess.  I'm just glad I didnt have anything substantial over there. His shop was on his property so that makes it even more difficult being she is the soul are and has control of it all.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2019, 08:51:34 PM »
Wow
What a mess.
A torque plate still cost $300.00 so I guess it is good news that is all you lost and at least you didn't have a set of SOCH heads or a good block.
Good luck with getting your stuff back.
Greg

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2019, 04:59:09 AM »
Hi Heo
I tried but no go. They have a big sign on the wall that says Not responsible for lost or stolen part's.
Not only did they lose my caps but my new Hays aluminum flywheel, new Comp cam springs, locks and retainers, and ATI rattler vibration damper.
My attorney said we could take them to court but would lose because of the sign.
Greg

WTF....scumbags >:( >:( only way to solve this then is severe violence if that not helps
Ultra violence

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2019, 09:03:57 AM »
The good news here was when the guy running Eds Machine retired, he found a younger guy to take over the shop.  Jason does real good work, nice guy and knows his stuff.  And of course he's covered up.  I see him at the strip once in a while helping customers.  And - his girlfriend is also a machinist type and works with him.  How about that deal.   He keep his equipment in top shape and charges accordingly.  But ask for ".012 off the top and take another .001 out of the bore for these pistons" and that's exactly what you'll get.

The down side - the shop is inside the city limits so he has to charge disposal fees to CYA his costs with the city.  The way the city is about things, it's a wonder they let him keep running.  Abilene is a small town that could get hammered if one or two big employers gave it up, but think's it's 5 times the size it really is.

At any rate, pickin's are slim these days.  Jason does great head work, but after pricing out the basics for a set of 351C 4V heads, another $500 bought a set of new aluminum bare AFDs that needed nothing put valves installed.   No porting, etc.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 09:08:01 AM by Falcon67 »

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2019, 09:54:41 AM »
Hi
heo
 30 years ago the guy would be in the hospital and I would be in jail.
To old to fight now so I have to get my revenge by doing my best to kill his business. We live in a rural area with a lot of small towns of about 900 to1300 people.
Whenever I get a chance at a race,car show or swap meet I make sure to tell everyone about him. I know I have cost him a lot of business.
 Falcon67
It must be nice to have a competent machine shop close to you that can does good work. Good that his girlfriend works with him.
I know about the cost of doing heads now. My heads for my 351C cost $900 to have them redone to my specs. That is why I went to Aluminum heads for the 428.
I wasn't going to go that route because of the cost but my mom dragged me to one of her estate auctions. She is 94 now so I have to drive her every where. At the auction I was sitting in the back bored out of my mind when I heard the auctioneer say some thing about new in the box aluminum heads. He had 2 sets up for auction.
One set for a 428 and one set for a 429.
I bid $300 and was the only bidder so for once I hit the lottery. Both sets new in the box complete heads.
I will still have to do some work on them so I can use them.
If Abilene kicks your machinist out I know of a building he can move into [LOL].
Greg

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2019, 10:56:50 AM »
Greg, thats why we old guys have Dynamite ;D ;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2019, 11:31:11 AM »
Good ideal but I prefer C4 or my M-14.
Greg

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2019, 03:29:38 PM »
I thought I would post an update.
Picked up my block today and when I asked the guy why he couldn't align hone it all he would say is I had a bad block.
His reason was the block was no good because I had the wrong main caps on it.
To say that I was a little speechless is a mild understatement.
I told him when I dropped it off the reason the the line bore was because I had to use main caps off another block.
The block came out of a 69 T-bird that was wrecked with less then 40,000 original miles on it so I know the block itself is good.
Sometimes I wonder where these guys went to school.
Greg