Author Topic: proper gauge battery/starter cable for 63 Galaxie 428  (Read 1655 times)

olman

• View Profile
proper gauge battery/starter cable for 63 Galaxie 428
« on: May 30, 2019, 06:49:11 PM »
Couldn't find anything in the search for this subject so what is the right gauge cable for running a new starter cable from starter to front of engine then up to solenoid as I have cast long tube headers. Also what type of coating is best for this extreme heat.  I have a new starter with the post on the opposite side to keep it away from headers. Is battery cable the same gauge as starter cable?

Bud
1963 1/2 Galaxie 500Xl 428 4 speed

cattleFEeder

• View Profile
Re: proper gauge battery/starter cable for 63 Galaxie 428
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 12:29:39 PM »
Remember, RPM is your friend

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 01:14:36 PM »
I can't say what I bought was the right size, but its been more than adequate so far.

I used a #2 type SGX wire from Wirebarn for the battery to the solenoid, solenoid to the starter, and battery to block ground. It can be bought in 10' and 25' coils in black or red. The insulation is rated up to 125 C or 257 F. I got good crimp connectors from Grainger. The ends got heat shrinked. The part number starts out as HS3A from Buyheatshrink.com. It's heavy wall adhesive lined with a 3-1 shrink ratio. The rest of the part number comes from the size and color.

https://www.wirebarn.com/
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 05:53:29 PM »
Bigger is better for starter cable.

Cover it with either the silicone fire sleeve (the orange looking stuff) or the DEI or equivalent reflective sleeve for protection from the headers. Someplace like Waytek is a good place to get some of those items for a lot less than a retail store/performance shop.

We use a lot of the orange silicone fire sleeve and I've see cables survive laying on 1400*f exhaust manifolds for 8 hours straight and the sleeve was still in serviceable shape.

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 01:39:43 AM »
Welding cable is fine stranded and works. However, DO NOT CRIMP! Tin and solder to the terminal. The adhesive shrink is an excellent idea for the lugs.

Pentroof

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 07:23:13 AM »
I’m very happy with my choice to use this guy. He has a huge selection of specific use cables, but the top link is for ordering custom stuff. I was able to specify lug sizes, which is important, because the starter terminal, block ground bolt and battery terminals are all different sizes.

http://www.custombatterycables.com/

Here is the build I used them on.
http://www.fordification.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=83642&start=180#p745917
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 07:30:17 AM by Pentroof »
Jim

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 07:08:07 PM »
Some food for thought, hope the pics come through, posting this from my phone.

Basically, I would not go smaller than 4awg, at 300 amp draw with 5 feet of cable, your looking at about a .750 volt drop at the starter. A 2awg wire drops that down to less than a .5volt drop.
There are a lot of other variables, but this is a good rule of thumb. Bigger is better, within reason.
IIRC, back in the day, anything under a 1.0 volt drop at the starter was perfectly acceptable.
As previously mentioned, get a good high temp insulation, silicone is nice, and put something on it to protect it further. NAPA sells a nice aluminized heat reflective wrap for such situations. We use it on top of our big 2200HP V12 Detroit engines to protect wired that are right up by the turbos. Works really well. Whatever size you get for the solenoid, it’s good practice to get the same size ground wire, and off possible attach it close to the starter. Run an additional smaller ground wire from the intake or cylinder head to the battery and chassis. This helps to keep the high current running through the starter circuit ground from inter fearing with other, smaller ground currents ( choke, coil ground, temp sensor ground etc). It’s not mandatory to run the extra grounds, as the starter is only on while cranking, but it is good practice.