Author Topic: Push rods  (Read 3838 times)

JimNolan

• 63 Galaxie XL 410ci / 57 Fairlane 500 390ci
    • View Profile
Push rods
« on: November 20, 2012, 03:47:06 PM »
Guys,
   I thought I'd put in new push rods instead of rolling them across the table and if one got bent just going down to NAPA and saying I want one this long to match the others.
   In my quest to find pushrods for a 63 352/390 block I found the originals were 9.59" long. I thought I'd get the Com-Cams pushrods but they say that thier pushrods are 9.62" long and they don't make 9.59" pushrods. Is .030" that big of a deal on FE engines. My Lycoming engine when I put it together gave you an .080" leeway best I remember. Jim PS Also, is there a 3/8" pushrod that fits my engine. Thanks

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
Re: Push rods
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 05:49:17 PM »
A couple of things to keep in mined.
Typically hyd lifters have a compression distance of .030 to .060 inch's when the preload is set.
Now if you have adjustable rockers this is not a problem you just bring the rocker down to the rod and then give the adjuster one full turn.
That will set the preload at about .040 which is good.
If you have nonadjustable rockers then you need to measure the distance when the whole rocker assembly is bolted down.
Using a checker rod and then add .040 inch's to the length of the rod and that will set the preload.
There is a factory way of checking the lifter preload that involves a special tool. (which I made one day) and then you colapse the lifter and measure
the distance between the rocker and valve tip. I think it's something like .200" for a Ford lifter from back in the day.
Or you could just order the rods and hope for the best.
But seriously it is very easy to make a checker rod.
Take one of your rods you have now and saw it in half. Then saw an extra half or inch off one of the pieces.
Get a 1/4" 20 tap and tap the two ends of the rod. Cut the head off a 1/4 20 bolt and screw them together.
I've heard tell of solid rods in FE's but I have never actually had some and if I did I would toss them in the metal pile and get some light weight
hollow ones which by the way are much stronger than a solid bar.
Yes you can get 3/8" push rods.

JimNolan

• 63 Galaxie XL 410ci / 57 Fairlane 500 390ci
    • View Profile
Re: Push rods
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 09:52:28 PM »
ScotiaFE,
    Since I've got over 5K in milling, balancing and parts I think I'll cut up one of my pushrods and make the tool you are talking about. My heads have been milled smooth, the block has been decked flat and I'm using .020 head gaskets. It wouldn't hurt a thing to know exactly what I need. Thanks, Jim