Author Topic: 428 c1 heads  (Read 1146 times)

brettco

• View Profile
428 c1 heads
« on: May 17, 2019, 09:46:42 PM »
 I have 2 sets of c1 heads for my 428. one pair is cut .050 and one is .010. the valves on the cut pair are in the seats by .050 more too- will that be a preference disadvantage? which would you choose?  thanks
 does multiple valve jobs where the valve is recessed hurt hp- if the valve is recessed .050 from valve jobs that obviously isn't equal to .050 less camshaft lift- correct?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 04:37:39 PM by brettco »

WerbyFord

• View Profile
Re: 428 c1 heads
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 09:02:40 PM »
I have 2 sets of c1 heads for my 428. one pair is cut .050 and one is .010. the valves on the cut pair are in the seats by .050 more too- will that be a preference disadvantage? which would you choose?  thanks
 does multiple valve jobs where the valve is recessed hurt hp- if the valve is recessed .050 from valve jobs that obviously isn't equal to .050 less camshaft lift- correct?

Assuming you have C1AE-A heads, about 75cc usually.
I'd cc them either way to see what cc's you have. The heads cut .050" will probably have about 7cc less IIRC.
So it depends what pistons you have & what compression you want, then pick the heads with the cc's you like.

On the valve recession, yes, it IS like having less valve lift when they're pounded in (among other issues) Maybe not inch-for-inch but if the seats are pounded in .050" it might be like losing .025" of valve lift, just a guess. An easy fix is put bigger valves in those C1AE-A heads. Even just bigger exhaust valves will help a lot like FoMoCo did on the 406cid.

I don't like putting exhaust valve seats in those heads (C6AE-R and earlier vanilla heads) because about 1/3 of the seat is unsupported & I've had a couple pop out. If it's for heavy service in a truck, the C8AE-H or D2TE-AA head with smaller ports is probably a better truck head anyway, Depends how far you plan to drive it, but in all our old FE cars, we've never had seats pound in.