Author Topic: Jay's timing cover and timing set  (Read 4276 times)

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
Re: Jay's timing cover and timing set
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2019, 11:23:52 AM »
To be clear I in no way am questioning the design, quality or functionality. Just sharing real world experience with a "similar" design used in a "similar" way. I mean I do want one, for all the reasons Jay mentioned. But Jay one thing you forgot, they also look good!

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2019, 11:48:45 AM »
Jay, there is a rather long thread on this forum about my struggles to get my 445 running right. If I'd had the option of the timing set and cover I'd have been really happy to be able to change cam timing a few times to get it right. As it was, removing the timing set required dropping the oil pan and removing the rad, then pulling the cover, balancer and gears. All told cost me about 10 hours of work. Now I know there are guys on here who can do it in 2 hours, but I'd never done it before, and dropping the pan with the engine in the truck was complicated. Getting it all sealed again was much more difficult than when it was on the stand in the first place.

Once I had it apart I didn't have the option of changing the timing and trying it, then advancing it some more and trying it again. Once it was buttoned up that was it. Now I'm happy that it is running well, but I wish I'd had the option of trying different positions. BTW it would be REALLY cool to be able to do it on a dyno.

In retrospect I would rather it wasn't almost $500, but I wish I'd had it. For what it is worth the Ford timing set was around $100, so the spend would have been an extra $400. In an odd way it may be worth more to an inexperienced builder than an old hand.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2019, 12:12:56 PM »
To be clear I in no way am questioning the design, quality or functionality. Just sharing real world experience with a "similar" design used in a "similar" way. I mean I do want one, for all the reasons Jay mentioned. But Jay one thing you forgot, they also look good!

No worries, I take no offense at your comments.  Glad you like the looks!
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Sand hauler

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2019, 08:27:11 PM »
Couldn't agree more with guys, like I said before Jay it is a very slick set up and being able to make changes while on the Dyno or in car is what I like best about it. Was just wondering or curious about how well it stays put and if anything else was needed for the long haul , 10-50,000 miles down the road.
Bobby-   Carlsbad, NM

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2019, 08:46:18 PM »
FWIW - I have used the FEPower timing setup and cover and changed cams on the dyno in a stunningly short amount of time.  Pull rockers and distributor.  With a roller cam you just "grab" each lifter pair by the tie bar using a piece of wire or welding rod to pull them up a little and out of the way.  Remove the electric water pump bolts and set the pump aside leaving the lower hose attached hose attached.  Open up the cover and disassemble all the cam drive tidbits, slide out the old cam  using a tool we made for the purpose - looks like an aluminum broomstick.  Reassemble in reverse order.  Damper, oil pan, intake and timing cover all remain undisturbed.

Sand hauler

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2019, 11:03:05 PM »
That really cool, don't suppose you have a pic of the tool?
Bobby-   Carlsbad, NM

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2019, 02:46:51 PM »
I like Jay's timing set!

As a idea (and if I ever get one) you could time the cam at what ever you wanted to start with, then drill and ream (press fit one side push fit on the other) dowel pin holes, between bolts. Then time the cam in other positions (5 or more available) and do the same thing. Stamp the different locations to identify the advance or retard.

You can use a small slide hammer to pull the pins, when relocating the the timing.
Frank