Author Topic: Ford/GM merger?...  (Read 4196 times)

gregaba

• View Profile
Re: Ford/GM merger?...
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 04:11:53 PM »
m has some shifty lawers. They borrowed 9 Billion from the US in 2008 I believe when they went bankrupt.
A few years later they said they paid it back in full but forgot to mention that they borrowed 20 more billion from the US and used that money to pay off the 9 billion.
I have bought 3 new Mustangs since 2007.
The first was a 2008 GT, the second was A 2012 GT, and the third was a 2013 Boss 302.
I had no problems with the first 2 but the Boss had a tranny problem.
I complained to Ford and after a few month's they gave me a extra full warrenty at no cost to me.
I didn't trust the Boss and with 21,000 miles sold it and decided to go back old school.
I am in the process of restoring my Dads 71 Ranchero 429 CJ he bought new and I bought a 63 Galaxie to build when I finish the Ranchero.
They don't make a new car I would buy any more. As far as I am concerned they are all junk over loaded with features nobody wants.
Go and try to buy a base car with no options and see what you get.
All they have are packages. Buy the so called base car for 36,000 and if you want one option  then you have to buy a 8 or 10 thousand dollar package to get that one option.
Oh well thats my rant.
Greg

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 05:43:16 PM »
There have been quiet 'deals' between one and another of the 'Big Three' for many years.

I bought a new Lincoln Mark IV back in '75. With about four hundred miles on it, the power steering pump became impossibly noisy. One of the things I found out at the dealer was that Ford wasn't able to keep up with the steering pump demand from the assembly plants and had gone to the Saginaw operation at GM as an alternate source. The warranty claims on the Saginaw pump were four times the number of the internally-sourced part. I'd got a Saginaw pump.

As another example, most of you will be familiar with the eight bolt attachment holes on the front of the Top-Loader case. That came about because Pontiac didn't want to tool-up to build three speed standard transmissions. And Ford had a lock on the Rzeppa gear design that made possible a 'no-crunch' synchronized first gear. Pontiac sourced such transmissions from Ford and Ford found that it was easiest to simply make all the cases with both Ford and Pontiac patterns bored into the front attachment flanges.

I understand that the new ten-speed trans is a joint venture between Ford and GM.

I expect we'll see more of the same sort of thing as time goes on.

KS

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2019, 05:55:54 PM »
m has some shifty lawers. They borrowed 9 Billion from the US in 2008 I believe when they went bankrupt.
A few years later they said they paid it back in full but forgot to mention that they borrowed 20 more billion from the US and used that money to pay off the 9 billion.
I have bought 3 new Mustangs since 2007.
The first was a 2008 GT, the second was A 2012 GT, and the third was a 2013 Boss 302.
I had no problems with the first 2 but the Boss had a tranny problem.
I complained to Ford and after a few month's they gave me a extra full warrenty at no cost to me.
I didn't trust the Boss and with 21,000 miles sold it and decided to go back old school.
I am in the process of restoring my Dads 71 Ranchero 429 CJ he bought new and I bought a 63 Galaxie to build when I finish the Ranchero.
They don't make a new car I would buy any more. As far as I am concerned they are all junk over loaded with features nobody wants.
Go and try to buy a base car with no options and see what you get.
All they have are packages. Buy the so called base car for 36,000 and if you want one option  then you have to buy a 8 or 10 thousand dollar package to get that one option.
Oh well thats my rant.
Greg

One of my biggest turn-offs about new stuff is the packages. You can't order something you want anymore. I want big HP, with comfy seats and no "infotainment" crap. Can't get that. Because if you opt for the nice seats it causes you to buy the package with the crap I don't want. My daily driver is a Ranger with 270k very hard miles on it and I was thinking about buying a new vehicle but it's impossible to get what I want anymore because of the packages. So I'll probably just rebuild the engine and trans and run it another 19+ years when it finally gives up.

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2019, 09:02:06 PM »
Don't believe all the silly hype about vehicle prices without seriously checking for yourself. I am an old school tight wad at the age of 40 and just bought my first new vehicle last Fall. I got a 2018 4 door 4x4 XLT with lots of bells and whistles for $38.5k and probably could've gotten a little lower but finally caved as it was getting late.
Union labor and corrupt politicians coupled with dumb voters and a complicit media are what has ruined the majority of our industries. A change is taking place but I think we are too far down the tracks to turn things around.
I can't see GM and Ford merging as that would marginalize too many potential buyers. I personally as a die hard Ford fan would be totally disgusted and be very glad I just bought a new truck to hopefully last me the rest of my life along with my classics.

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2019, 05:03:14 AM »
TJ. the foreign trucks aren`t the only ones to have frame rot. The last 10 years of domestic trucks have frame rot, I see this all the time. Its a piss poor design to box the frame and "NOT" put drain holes in the bottom section. There is a lot of holes in the sides but none big enough to self flush in the bottoms.  I have had people bring me 2-3 yr old trucks to weld because of this box frame being better. The trucks look great on the out side but suffer underneath.  Moisture and Salt are the main problem. I have flat out refused to repair them due to the liability issue. I agree that the new cars are all cookie cutters and are way to gaditized  for my tastes and way to expensive.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2019, 05:34:23 AM »
I suppose this is a good spot to reference my old Ford Excursion.  Sold it a couple years ago now.  Acquired in 2000, it went seventeen years and a couple hundred thousand miles in continuous daily use, through Michigan winters, salt and snow.  Toward the end of my ownership it had developed an appetite for worn out parts - U joints, alternator, battery, brakes - but overall had been a very reliable vehicle.  Had the 6.8L V10, and had never had the valve covers off of it, replaced the plugs and coils exactly once.  Trans never out - changed the filter once or twice.  Axles never opened up.  Body was finally rusting out & decided to replace it.  Really hope the newer truck is 1/2 as good.

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2019, 12:19:36 PM »
Glad to hear that Barry, as I bought a 99 F350 Dually with a 6.8L V10 and 5 speed about 5 years ago, for towing my race car trailer, and its been great. I bought it from a racing buddy in a dry area of Oregon, who ordered it new, and since he mainly used it to tow his car trailer too, it has never been driven in snow, so its still like new underneath, still has all the original brake pads and calipers, factory exhaust looks great still, and not a spec of rust on the frame either. Even my old 74 F350 ramp truck frame was very solid , despite 14 years of Canadian winters before I bought it in 1988. I was at my local Ford dealer the other day, and they had a brand new 2019 F350 DRW Crewcab, loaded 4x4 with a Diesel, and the window sticker was $107,000 Canadian, probably about $75,000 US. I still have the original window sticker for my 99 F350 DRW, was $28,000 US.Also looked at the new Rangers on the lot, only had 2, both 4WD crew cabs, both  stickered in the low $50,000s Canadian, about 36 grand US. By comparison, my new 2010 Ranger was only $16,600 Canadian, although it is a 2WD 4 cylinder 5 speed model. But certainly the new vehicles have been skyrocketing in price in recent years. I have worked at a Toyota dealership for the past 22 years, and even here where we get minimal snow in the winter, and rarely have more that a couple of weeks of below freezing weather per year, we have replaced several frames on Tacomas, the most recent truck was a 2006 model. Hell, even my 59 Ford car has a factory box frame, and despite all of its 60 years of being in Canada, it does not have a rusted frame!
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2019, 03:00:22 PM »
So if they merge then i'd assume that they'd drop the slow selling Camaro in lieu of selling the Mustang at GM dealers! Then it would of course mean all years of Mustangs are grandfathered into the Camaro shows the way an AMX can enter a Mopar-only show.