Author Topic: Funny memory  (Read 2714 times)

plovett

Funny memory
« on: May 13, 2019, 08:49:26 PM »
I was taking my oldest son to his baseball game.  Saw a motorcycle and said, "I hope you don't want to ride one of those."

Then I started laughing because I am such a hypocrite.   The very first bike I rode was the second fastest accelerating in the world at the time, I think.   It was a V65 Magna.  Only the Yamaha VMax was faster.  It was 1986, I think.  I had never even been on a mini-bike.   A guy was trying to sell it to me.   He tells me how to work the throttle, clutch, brakes, and gear shift and off I go!   Full throttle through the first three gears and well up over 100 mph.   Hit a bump in the road and the front wheel started bouncing back and forth.   Made it through that.   Hit in first gear and lit the tire up, got sideways, left the bike, and slid down the street at 40 mph or so.   Tore my jeans and skin off.   Just got back on and road it back to the shop with some damage on it.   I didn't buy it. 

I just thought of that and I couldn't stop laughing for about half an hour.   :)

I am still laughing,

paulie
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 09:11:43 PM by plovett »

plovett

Re: Funny memory
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 08:57:45 PM »
Suzuki GS1150E was right up there, too.  Damn, that was some sketchy stuff.

Dan859

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 11:02:41 PM »
Going back further (1974-75), a buddy of mine bought a Kawasaki 500 triple cylinder, rebuilt it over the winter.  Took me for a ride that Spring, and scared the hell out of me.  I think at that time, it was the fastest street bike available.

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 11:31:53 PM »
ZX12R before I got my motorcycle endorsement.  My buddy convinced me to take it our for a spin anyway.

I turned back onto his street in third gear and thought I'd give it a little twist.  When the front wheel came up, the only thing holding me onto the seat was butt-clench.  Holy crap that thing was evil!

I bought a much more mellow machine with ABS brakes once I got my license.  After 15 years of loving that BMW, I'm going to hang up my spurs this month. 

The streets of LA are getting too mean for a bike...  Despite never yet being down, I've used up life 8-1/2. 
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 06:49:34 PM »
I don't know if any of you ever saw one or rode one but I bought a monster of a bike in 1984. It was the Honda RC30 VFR750R. It was no less than a GP bike made for the street. It was a monster of a bike. They are extremely rare, even more so today. It cost 13,500.00 in 1984, which was huge money for bike. In hindsight I wish I'd kept it. I PCS'd to FT. Kobe in Panama and it wasn't practical to take with me.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 07:14:12 PM »
I rode a friends Hayabusa one time. Fastest thing I’ve ever been on or in.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 07:58:55 AM »
I stick to just a loud HD!  I don't have a need for speed.  Just look and sound good  ;D
Larry

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 09:04:10 AM »
Have not ridden a bike in decades.  Rode a couple little safe things with no power. 
Back in the +/- late 70s/early 80s a guy I worked with brings in his Kaw 750 2 stroker and let me go for a ride.
Thought I had it figured out so I rolled into the throttle in 3rd and it came up so hard I banged my nose against the gas tank & damn near killed myself.  Drove back home like a little girl.  Cured me of motorcycles forever.

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 09:41:24 AM »
Motorcycles are fun!  My #1 fan and I at Bonneville in 2016 getting my 150MPH Club entry. 

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 04:02:53 PM »
Back around 1970 my step brother wrecked his Honda 750. He gave it to me after he got his insurance money.
It was totaled and I keep in the shop for a couple of months when I found a retired racing go-cart without a motor.
I pulled the 750 apart and mounted everything on the go cart.
I used to drive it around our little town [population about 900] and our local cop said if he caught me driving on the streets again he was going to put me in jail.
One night after a few beers I decided to go to town and guess what. He got after me and I pulled unto the highway going to the next little town with him in chase.
I left him in about 1/2 mile and never saw his lights again.
Got off the hiway just before the next town and took the dirt roads home.
He was waiting for me and I went to jail. They dropped the charges after I spent the weekend in jail and I sold the cart the next week.
His patrol car was a 390 64 galaxie.
Fastest little thing I ever drove.
Greg

plovett

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 05:37:34 PM »
I have a 550 hp street car and I think motorcycles are suicide machines, to quote Bruce Springsteen.  But fun!  :)

JMO,

paulie

plovett

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 05:40:08 PM »
It's more the other people driving than yourself when you are on a motorcycle.  You can't control if somebody pulls out in front of you while you are going 50mph.   You also can't control or see say, some sand on the road, ahead of time.  Even a good rider can get killed through no fault of his own.

JMO,

paulie

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 05:46:33 PM »
In 1976 I had a 64 pan head that I chopped and did a lot of work on. A elderly lady in a 62 4 door impala pulled out in front of me and I t-boned her.
Got out of the hospital and rebuilt my bike and was going down the same street and believe it or not the same lady [with same car] pulled in front of me again.
Same results except I sold my bike and never owned another one.
The other driver will kill you if you ride a bike.
Greg

plovett

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 05:46:52 PM »
Back around 1970 my step brother wrecked his Honda 750. He gave it to me after he got his insurance money.
It was totaled and I keep in the shop for a couple of months when I found a retired racing go-cart without a motor.
I pulled the 750 apart and mounted everything on the go cart.
I used to drive it around our little town [population about 900] and our local cop said if he caught me driving on the streets again he was going to put me in jail.
One night after a few beers I decided to go to town and guess what. He got after me and I pulled unto the highway going to the next little town with him in chase.
I left him in about 1/2 mile and never saw his lights again.
Got off the hiway just before the next town and took the dirt roads home.
He was waiting for me and I went to jail. They dropped the charges after I spent the weekend in jail and I sold the cart the next week.
His patrol car was a 390 64 galaxie.
Fastest little thing I ever drove.
Greg

That sounds like a lot of fun.

paulie

plovett

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 05:48:09 PM »
In 1976 I had a 64 pan head that I chopped and did a lot of work on. A elderly lady in a 62 4 door impala pulled out in front of me and I t-boned her.
Got out of the hospital and rebuilt my bike and was going down the same street and believe it or not the same lady [with same car] pulled in front of me again.
Same results except I sold my bike and never owned another one.
The other driver will kill you if you ride a bike.
Greg

Yeah, that is scary.  Glad you lived through it.

paulie

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 06:35:19 PM »
Me To.
Greg