Author Topic: Trick Flow heads....  (Read 25051 times)

turbohunter

• View Profile
Re: Trick Flow heads....
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2019, 12:46:50 PM »
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2019, 01:14:21 PM »
Would using highriser stands help/hurt/still need modifying?

BH107

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2019, 01:55:21 PM »
Can't imagine taking .200" off of the new Comp steel stands is quite as fun as with the other aluminum stands.

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2019, 03:50:33 PM »
I thought it would be informative to post some mechanical drawings of what good rocker geometry looks like.  The obvious difference is that with correct rocker geometry the travel across the top of the valve is reduced, and that brings benefits in terms of wear on the valve guide and reduction in friction in the valvetrain, especially if you are not running a roller tip rocker arm.  From the pictures I've seen the Trick Flow heads look like they come out of the box with rocker arm geometry similar to what is shown in the first picture below.  Will they run like this?  Sure.  Will they make power?  Of course.  Is it the ideal setup?  Not by a long shot.  This is why the rocker pads are being cut down by some of the folks here.  Longer valves would also solve the problem.  Since Trick Flow is offering the heads and the valves, it seems odd that they set it up this way.  Seems like a design or manufacturing mistake to me.  I hope they can get it corrected.

Only problem is that your drawing isn't accurate. Do you have a set of TF heads on your bench? Do you have the Comp rocker arms on them? If not you might not have the drawing correct. We didn't see any of the problems that people are talking about. I'm guessing that nobody on here has Comp rockers on the TF heads? If not then why does everyone all worked up? If you haven't built it and tested it then what makes you an expert?

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2019, 04:37:59 PM »
Wow.  At this point, we have five pages of discussion, some good info, several opinions, looks like a few feelings hurt.......all over an issue that can be cured for about $160 which would include some studs.  If Trick Flow reads this, why don't you just add $80 to the cost of the heads, and furnish some studs with full thread engagement, and make the studs .100 shorter than an Edelbrock stud is from the top of the base thread to the other end.  Then, they would root deeper, and the stud would work whether you cut the stands or not.  Then we are down to an $80 milling job.  It really ain't a big deal......
Blair Patrick

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2019, 04:45:11 PM »
Well, just looking at that picture of andyf's rocker arm, it is dangerously close to popping off the pushrod and at a terrible angle.  Tells me all I need to know about not being correct.  Just because something works does not mean it is correctly done.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2019, 05:50:26 PM »
I will get a head and a set of Comp rockers in here this week, mock it up, and report back. 

My guess is that it will either be way off to the exhaust side of the valve, or it will be close to center but be way off towards the intake side of the valve on another cylinder head. 

It stands to logic that if the Comp rockers fit the TFS heads perfectly, then they will need to be shimmed way up to work on another head.

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2019, 06:40:10 PM »
Can't imagine taking .200" off of the new Comp steel stands is quite as fun as with the other aluminum stands.

You do not need to worry about that. 
Just got in a set of the new Comp rockers to try out. 
The supplier for the steel stands had some sort of issue and the new ones are aluminum now.
Also wondering who and why they decided to have a snap ring groove machined in the end of the shafts.
Serves no purpose and makes a great spot for the shims to get caught up in.
Need to check ratio on this set - on dyno the engine I am running with them seems to be down a bit on power but its RPMing like crazy for a hydraulic roller deal - like 6700......

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2019, 07:11:23 PM »
Looking at that top picture it does look like the roller is on the exhaust side of the tip. And even at full lift it looks like it is still more on the exhaust side. Besides premature guide wear does it actually cost horsepower, and because of the angle of the rocker could that cause a problem were the push rod meets the rocker. What I mean by that is the adjuster at full lift is going to have a lot of stress on it. Or am I wrong thinking this way.

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2019, 07:43:30 PM »
Joe's last comment was aimed there.  If the rocker shaft is too high, it will pitch the rocker on a funky angle at full lift.  In addition to things happening on the long side of the rocker, the stand height also affects the pushrod angle at max lift.   Lowering the stand will put less angle on the pushrod-to-adjuster making it less likely to spit out a pushrod.
Blair Patrick

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2019, 08:34:13 PM »
I guess I am going to have pull my valve covers and recheck mine. I thought they looked ok but after all this discussion I think I better look again...a little closer. I am running the older Dove wide body rockers on mine. 

351crules

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2019, 07:47:06 AM »
How much shorter is the rocker pad to a high riser? Would it be easier to just shim a high riser stand?

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2019, 09:44:29 AM »
Would using highriser stands help/hurt/still need modifying?

How much shorter is the rocker pad to a high riser? Would it be easier to just shim a high riser stand?

C8OZ

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2019, 10:19:01 AM »
I wondered the same, but remembered this comment from an earlier discussion...

I think I would just get good billet aluminum stands and machine them.  It would take a lot of shim under a High Riser stand, and they aren't cheap.  The "base" of the standard OE stand isn't thick enough to mill .250 and still retain a good platform.   We just put the shaft through the billet stands, and turn them upside down in the Kurt vise, and mill them all exactly the same.

351crules

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2019, 10:33:53 AM »
I wondered the same, but remembered this comment from an earlier discussion...

I think I would just get good billet aluminum stands and machine them.  It would take a lot of shim under a High Riser stand, and they aren't cheap.  The "base" of the standard OE stand isn't thick enough to mill .250 and still retain a good platform.   We just put the shaft through the billet stands, and turn them upside down in the Kurt vise, and mill them all exactly the same.
thank you.. I missed that post